Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered User

Default Newbie needs help!

Hi! We just purchased and moved into our first home, and it came with a pond. We have 2 big Koi and several smaller goldfish. About a week after being here, our water became very green and we can't see the fish anymore. Earl May came out here and told me we needed to use some "Algae Fix" on it and also think about getting a UV light. He said they run 200-300 but after looking on the internet I don't believe him--maybe they are higher in the store?

Our pond is roughly 1500 gallons. I do not know how many gph it does but the guy from Earl May said it was a good pump and skimmer. I belive it's made by Easy Pro.

So, can someone refer me to a good, affordable UV light for our pond? I can answer any add'l info you need maybe, we don't know a lot about this pond!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy

A UV is not the total answer to your green water. feeding, sunlight,
water changes, bio load, plants in water etc all have a diverse part
on algae. Take away phosphates or nitrogen or sunlight and the stuff
dies, so the main item you want to lock up is phosphate.......si the
single celled algae can not use what it needs to bloom and grow and
winds up dying. Algaecides are ot a good idea either. as it reduces o2
content or can kill a biological filter in the process.

Take a wad of regular old polyester batting and shove it in the
filter, and keep check onit as its capable of removing the algae
cells. Water changes are a definate help.

UV will clean up green water, but most folks fail to keep up regular
needed water maintenance and soon the UV gets overwhelmed further down
the road. The best place with prices for decent filters and UV's is AZ
Ponds........and most prices also include free shipping.
Bear in mind the UV bulb needs tobe replaced every year or they do not
work right, and some of the bulbs can be pretty pricey......Years
back UV's in thjis region used to be a big time thing, now they are
rarely seen in use.

Provide shade for your pond unless its at least 60% covered with water
lilys or other aquatic plants. Cheap feeds add to the green water
problem as does over feeding. Wrong filter media does little to remove
cells......and nutrient rich water helps the stuff grow almost over
night.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Hi! We just purchased and moved into our first home, and it came with a
pond. We have 2 big Koi and several smaller goldfish. About a week
after being here, our water became very green and we can't see the fish
So, can someone refer me to a good, affordable UV light for our pond? I
can answer any add'l info you need maybe, we don't know a lot about this
pond!

Time for an education. You need to be able to figure out, and find out the
answer below. Sick pond, we need to know its temperature & symptoms:

Sick Pond Form

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

pH?:

KH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:

~ jan
-----------------
Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Just Roy

Default Newbie needs help! Hey Jan........

A sick pond form is all fine and dandy, but certainly do you really
think anyone is gonna find it in all this noise Carol creates on a
daily basis.....I seem to be doing pretty darn good considering I
probbaky only posted 6 posts in the last 2 days...............well at
least some one is looking out for me when I take time off and
continuing on with the much needed mission at hand..Thanks
guys..........

Hey Jan, there is some nifty neat software for usenet use...its
awesome.......So just to show there is not any hard feelings among the
rec.pond group members, I will create a new forum for you all on
usenet.......rec.ponds.without.carol and have a BOT stand guard
to keep her and her sock puppets out. Hows that for a deal?
Oh an in case you missed it in all this noise, CArol was asked once
again if she wanted to bury the hatchet, and all she did was whine and
bitch and wanted to start a debate when all it required was a YES or
NO..........and this mess could have all been over.................No
addmittanace of who did what and why, just simply quit all this crap.
Evidently this is what keeps Carol alive.