Old 26-06-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Digging pond - dirt and grass

My son has begun digging me a pond and without knowing better dug up
the grass and just threw it and the dirt to the side on top of existing
lawn (I had carefully removed the grass and composted it and then moved
the dirt elsewhere when I had dug my ponds). So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

DK

Old 26-06-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son has begun digging me a pond and without knowing better dug up
the grass and just threw it and the dirt to the side on top of existing
lawn (I had carefully removed the grass and composted it and then moved
the dirt elsewhere when I had dug my ponds). So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

========================
We used the excess dirt on the low side as our property slopes where the
ponds are. It forms a berm and support for the low side. The sod was
buried by the soil as we all dug. It was then covered with several inches
of topsoil and planted. It worked out fine.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-06-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

D U H!

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:19:47 -0500, "Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
My son has begun digging me a pond and without knowing better dug up
the grass and just threw it and the dirt to the side on top of existing
lawn (I had carefully removed the grass and composted it and then moved
the dirt elsewhere when I had dug my ponds). So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

========================
We used the excess dirt on the low side as our property slopes where the
ponds are. It forms a berm and support for the low side. The sod was
buried by the soil as we all dug. It was then covered with several inches
of topsoil and planted. It worked out fine.

You can reach -Ed Alston at

Old 26-06-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

So whats the big deal on buryng gras etc. Whats the big deal on using
the dirt next to the pond as a mound etc., I htink yu really need to
kick that youngins butt for screwing u so bad. After all he oculd be
out doing dope, which I hguess in yur eyes owuld be so muych better
than him screwing up and burying yyr precious grass. At least he is
doing something beside watching TV and hanging out. SOme parents are
never pleased. I do have to think that that grass will grow backonce
the dirt is removed or speread its not like yun made it unuseable for
any other grass to grow...your dog probably kills more grass ****ing
on it.

Old 26-06-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
dkat

Koi-Lo wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks. Reasurring to hear this given that every thing I have ever
read says take the grass out (compost it) and only put soil in your
berm. I suspect that where the dirt isn't deep I am going to have
grass to pull out as weeds for awhile but I can certainly live with
that since it would be much easier than moving the huge amount of dirt
that he managed to dig out in a short afternoon (ah to be 20, muscular
and have all that energy....).

My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö ~~~~ }((((({*

Old 26-06-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"dkat" wrote in message
oups.com...

Koi-Lo wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We left the sod to rot on the bottom. It was buried under several feet of
dirt when we were finished.

I suspect that where the dirt isn't deep I am going to have
grass to pull out as weeds for awhile but I can certainly live with
that since it would be much easier than moving the huge amount of dirt
that he managed to dig out in a short afternoon (ah to be 20, muscular
and have all that energy....).

Hey, I was 51 when I dug our first 900g pond. It was the heat of summer no
less, July! I took my time. As I recall it took less than a week. I
hauled the soil and sod to a side of our property with a Gardenway Cart. It
was later used as fill (not around pond #1). The 2000g pond we did have help
with. A young man from this NG came over and spent the day digging. He
didn't want cash. He took fish and a load of pond plants, plus a pot-roast
dinner. :-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-06-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
-ED aka Cuttysark

Your not going to get Carol Gulley aka koi lo to switch to using
google. Its too easy for google to zero in on her as well as her
enemies she made over the years. Google would shit can that bitch in a
day.........and by the way, I thught yu were leaving and joining that
uk based board and other better boards since y did not want to put up
with tolls........Me thinks your freaking strappy. Google is for
LOSERS and dumasses..................bye

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:29:07 -0400, "DKat"
wrote:

"Koi-Lo" ¤?¤@ö½.Õ..Õ¢ wrote in message
We left the sod to rot on the bottom. It was buried under several feet of
dirt when we were finished.

Hey, I was 51 when I dug our first 900g pond. It was the heat of summer
no less, July! I took my time. As I recall it took less than a week. I
hauled the soil and sod to a side of our property with a Gardenway Cart.
It was later used as fill (not around pond #1). The 2000g pond we did have
help with. A young man from this NG came over and spent the day digging.
He didn't want cash. He took fish and a load of pond plants, plus a
pot-roast dinner. :-)
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö ~~~~ }((((({*

LOL - My son is taking money for the job to spend in Italy for his study
abroad next semester. He already gets all that he can eat plus his mother
(me) being tricked into cooking and cleaning up after him (including folding
his freshly washed laundry). I have spent the last 6 years telling him I'm
not going to do his laundry, cooking, or cleaning. He basically is very
good at outwaiting me and has more charm that he knows what to do with.

I was around 43 when I dug my first pond. The last one I dug was at about
53. I was actually going to do this one but when the 20 year old wanted
money it seemed the perfect solution for both of us. As I said, I do envy
him his youth on this particular case (most of the time I don't - I really
like being near 60).

DK

P.S. are you going to try the google group?

You can reach -Ed Alston at

Old 26-06-2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"DKat" wrote in message
LOL - My son is taking money for the job to spend in Italy for his study
abroad next semester. He already gets all that he can eat plus his mother
(me) being tricked into cooking and cleaning up after him (including
folding his freshly washed laundry). I have spent the last 6 years
telling him I'm not going to do his laundry, cooking, or cleaning. He
basically is very good at outwaiting me and has more charm that he knows
what to do with.

Time to push him out of the nest. ;-)

I was around 43 when I dug my first pond. The last one I dug was at about
53. I was actually going to do this one but when the 20 year old wanted
money it seemed the perfect solution for both of us. As I said, I do envy
him his youth on this particular case (most of the time I don't - I really
like being near 60).

Actually I'm enjoying my golden years as well. I have time for hobbies and
interests I never did when I was working. We just added a new greenhouse
and I've been spending time on that.

DK

P.S. are you going to try the google group?

No. I did join Koiphen.com. They have an excellent Water Gardening Forum I
love. You can post pics right there for all to enjoy, unlike this Usenet
forum. There are some very nice helpful people there. You may want to
check it out.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-06-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Then why the hell don't you go and stay on the web based forums
carol" You can't as you can not be the center of attention being the
attention whore that you are. You can not do much expcet post a
question and hope one may answer you. They all forgot more than you
will ever know......so your certainly not in any position there to be
"in charge" like you think you should be. Your just what you normally
are A dumb ass!

You do not have a green house or ponds as yu do not have sufficient
time to take care of any of what you lay claim to as yu spend alal
your time on here bashing religious and health groups because your
daddy was a ****up in your opinion, and you blame those groups for his
death.........as well as your personal jihad with those that dissagree
with you.

Golden years yea, right living in a mobile home on a dead end road and
lay claim to neighbors ponds as your own..........Evidently one of
them probbaly just got a green house, and I expect we will see more
bullshit pics o nyur webiste laying claim to it as your green house!
Typical lies from a slanderous liar.

The attention whore can not resist the spotlight USENET affords her!

Old 27-06-2006, 07:31 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

DK

No problems here with the above. 40 when the first ponds went in, but my
sons, 10 & 13 at the time, helped quite a bit. ~ jan
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 28-06-2006, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
DKat

"~ janj" wrote in message
So my question is - has
anyone else just piled the excess dirt and grass on top of the grass
next to the pond and left that as a hill. If so, what were the
consequences? Did the grass just compost away after you put plants in
the hill of soil or what?

DK

No problems here with the above. 40 when the first ponds went in, but my
sons, 10 & 13 at the time, helped quite a bit. ~ jan
-----------------

Long Island puts enough chemicals in it's water to kill a fish. I can only
add new water at a really slow trickle and for the new pond the fish won't
be transfered without the water setting for a good while (a week) and lots
of stuff added (dechlorinator, good bios, etc.). Ph has never been a
problem though.

DK

P.S. thanks for the link. I'm glad to find a good room again.

Digging in the dirt... a Lawns 9 22-04-2011 11:18 PM
Digging a new pond and renting a ? jedi Ponds 19 08-03-2005 07:12 PM
Pampas grass: digging out bruce phipps United Kingdom 24 19-11-2004 02:21 PM
my pond has dirt brown water cockroach Ponds 3 30-05-2003 04:20 PM
Pond sides....dry cement/dirt mix? Kevin Carbis Ponds 1 20-02-2003 12:03 AM