Old 16-09-2006, 09:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
sue sue is offline

Default canadian pond

I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I mean -20
to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in the past but
now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2 feet at the
deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in cold canada
that has tried this please help,thanks.

Old 16-09-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:06:49 -0600, "sue"
wrote:

I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I mean -20
to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in the past but
now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2 feet at the
deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in cold canada
that has tried this please help,thanks.

I wish you the best and hope you will let us know how the winter goes
for you.

Regards,

Hal
Old 16-09-2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.ponds

"sue" wrote in message
I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I
mean -20 to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in
the past but now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2
feet at the deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in
cold canada that has tried this please help,thanks.

One year I covered my pond and put in a small heater. Last year I put them
in a stock tank with light for the WH. Both worked out well, I had lost of
plants and fry with the stock tank. But the Stock Tank cost me about $20 a
month for light and caused a bit of excess moisture. I may go back to the
cover this year, but I haven't decided yet.

Cover was 2x4s insulated with Styrofoam and covered with OSB and plastic. I
also put a small heater in the pond to keep the water around 40°F. The big
problem was that the cover was HEAVY and difficult to put in place.

Old 16-09-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

that isnt very deep, not really deep enough for koi in general. you need to cover
this with plastic, then styrofoam and drop in a heater. be sure to build it so there
is at least a 1 foot air gap above the water level and a hole somewhere to let gases
escape. and pray that the electricity doesnt go out. my 4 foot deep pond drops at
least 8 inches of water over winter. you need to be careful that the water doesnt
drop too much. Ingrid

"sue" wrote:

I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I mean -20
to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in the past but
now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2 feet at the
deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in cold canada
that has tried this please help,thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 17-09-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.ponds

sue Wrote:
I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I mean
-20
to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in the
past but
now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2 feet at the

deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in cold
canada
that has tried this please help,thanks.

I live in Ontario and this will be my fifth winter overwintering my
fish outside. The deepest part of my pond is 3', but it's very steeply
sloped (To discourage fishing by critters!), so there probaby isn't a
great deal of difference between 2 1/2 and 3".

Each year I remove the filter and run only the pump with the hose near
the water so the ice doesn't form over completely. Because there have
been some formidable ice fall build ups, I also bought a cattle
de-icer two years ago and plopped it in. Voila! Reduced ice build up
and absolutely no problems. Even my token frog has managed to winter
over four seasons so far!

Cheers!

Lotus'nlilies

Old 19-09-2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
© © is offline

sue wrote:
I live in Saskatchewan ,Canada and the winters are very cold here.I mean -20
to -30 c on average .I have been putting my large koi inside in the past but
now they are too big.My pond is apr 600 -750 gal with 2 1/2 feet at the
deepest and I would like to try a de icer.Anyone out there in cold canada
that has tried this please help,thanks.

I live in southern Ontario and I disconnect my pump hoses and just let
them run in one confined area so it allows one small area of the pond
to create a hole so deadly gases escape.

My pond is also only 2.5 feet deep but it probably doesn't get as cold
as in Saskatchewan.

My problem with heaters is when it gets cold they will run continuously
and have you seen the price of electricity these days ?

Old 19-09-2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.ponds
DRS DRS is offline

I've had my pond for 7 years now (Nova Scotia) and all I do is take out my
circulating pump and use an air pump with the hose threaded through a piece
of styrofome. The hose drops about 18 inches in my pond, the air bubbles
keeps the water aerated, and keeps a hole open all winter long. I've tried
to use an air stone, but it wasn't as effective as just the bare hose end. .
If there is a large snowfall, I just shovel it off around the hole so as to
be able to see the air bubbling through. Over the pump I just placed a
plastic coffee can so that the air intakes don't get plugged.

Old 19-09-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds

DRS wrote:

I've had my pond for 7 years now (Nova Scotia) and all I do is take out
my circulating pump and use an air pump with the hose threaded through a
piece of styrofome. The hose drops about 18 inches in my pond, the air
bubbles keeps the water aerated, and keeps a hole open all winter long.
I've tried to use an air stone, but it wasn't as effective as just the
bare hose end. . If there is a large snowfall, I just shovel it off around
the hole so as to
be able to see the air bubbling through. Over the pump I just placed a
plastic coffee can so that the air intakes don't get plugged.

I was a little more careful with my air-pump in Ontario. It was fastened to
the inside of an upside-down plastic bucket, to keep it dry. I too found
that the airstone didn't work well - I lost two to the bottom of the pond.
I think the temperature fluctuations worked it loose too easily. The other
problem - less likely here in Nova Scotia - was moisture in the airline
freezing. Still, it's much less costly than running a heater or water pump
through the winter.
--
derek
Old 24-09-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.ponds
sue sue is offline

Thanks,I have been looking on the internet and there are lots of new pond
de-icers specific to ponds that run less money.I was going to try
one.Winters here can be brutal and I want to do everything possible for my
fish,and that means domed with plastic ,styrofoam with old pump bubbling and
de-icer.