Old 27-10-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Follow up on Pond Leak

Several years ago I obtained a pond when I purchased our present house.
It had what I considered significant leaks. After several post to
this group asking about ideas to find leaks and many hours over the
period, I believe I have finally found the source of my main leak.

To find this leak I have stop the pond pump and watched the level of the
three pools, to determine which pool had the leak and the approximate
level of the leak. I found that the best caulking for leaks was roofing
asphalt.

Over the last few years I realized that the most significant drops in
the pond level were random. My first clue to the source of the random
leak was found when our cat was making strange noises at the family room
door to the deck where the pond is located. When we turn on the deck
light, there was a family of raccoons "talking" to the cat. When they
saw us they immediately went into the begging position, sitting on their
rumps with the palms on the front legs extended.

Then I realized there were wet paw prints on the deck when the level
drop, I realized the the source of the "leak" was the pool party that
the raccoons having on "nice" evening. (I have not determined what a
nice evening is to a raccoon)

Since this female raccoon has now raised several families in our yard, I
suspect that I will have to learn to live with the leak.
Old 27-10-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

keith_nuttle wrote:
Several years ago I obtained a pond when I purchased our present house.
It had what I considered significant leaks. After several post to
this group asking about ideas to find leaks and many hours over the
period, I believe I have finally found the source of my main leak.

Fix it and leave us alone.

Old 27-10-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds

"keith_nuttle" wrote in message
et...
[...]

===================================
We had one of those barrel ponds set away from the house that was losing
water like mad. It had to be refilled every few days but the plants were
not disturbed. I finally pulled up the Lerio hard plastic liner for a
looksee. It wasn't leaking. Then one night coming home from a friend's
house, I saw several deer lift their heads from the barrel. They were using
it as a water trough.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-10-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.ponds

[...]

That's a lovely story! I enjoyed reading it, and I could see the action as
it took place.

I hope your pond leak is manageable.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA
and raccoonless so far

Old 28-10-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds

Since this female raccoon has now raised several families in our yard, I
suspect that I will have to learn to live with the leak.

Wow, love your attitude. Usually raccoons make such a mess of a pond,
upturned plants, taken fish, etc. there is no living with them. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 28-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.ponds

Köi-Lö wrote
. I finally pulled up the Lerio hard plastic liner for a
looksee. It wasn't leaking.

Where did you find the time, since you spend 24/7 attacking Jehovahs
witnesses?

Pre Formed Pond Leak Judi9000 Ponds 4 22-01-2004 04:20 PM
pond leak- help JLu3140998 Ponds 9 02-10-2003 12:42 AM
leak in concrete pond - a little help? Big Bill Ponds 6 06-08-2003 07:22 PM
Leak in pond PSupez Ponds 2 27-07-2003 03:22 PM
Pond odor follow up Jackytar Ponds 10 02-06-2003 03:08 AM