Old 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Help required

Dear all,

I live in the south west of the UK. My neighbour has had her outdoor
pond invaded by some type of creature that has killed nearly all her
Koi.
She heard a lot of splashing in the pond at 3.00am but was affraid to
go out. This morning she has found all the Koi scattered around the
garden with all the heads missing!!!!!
What on earth would do this?. We have had problems with herons in the
past but not where they left the fish with heads missing.
My neighbour has now put a net to protect the remaining fish left but
we need to know what creature would do this??
Thanks in advance,
Gary.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

Probably a fox - if it's hungry enough - sorry to hear though !

Any track marks etc?

How deep is the pond?

oups.com...

Old 01-11-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

On 1 Nov 2006 08:15:10 -0800, garyjohn_99 wrote:

Dear all,

I live in the south west of the UK. My neighbour has had her outdoor
pond invaded by some type of creature that has killed nearly all her
Koi.
She heard a lot of splashing in the pond at 3.00am but was affraid to
go out. This morning she has found all the Koi scattered around the
garden with all the heads missing!!!!!
What on earth would do this?. We have had problems with herons in the
past but not where they left the fish with heads missing.
My neighbour has now put a net to protect the remaining fish left but
we need to know what creature would do this??
Thanks in advance,
Gary.

Do you have Mink in your area?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 01-11-2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds

garyjohn_99 wrote:
Dear all,

I live in the south west of the UK. My neighbour has had her outdoor
pond invaded by some type of creature that has killed nearly all her
Koi.
She heard a lot of splashing in the pond at 3.00am but was affraid to
go out. This morning she has found all the Koi scattered around the
garden with all the heads missing!!!!!
What on earth would do this?. We have had problems with herons in the
past but not where they left the fish with heads missing.
My neighbour has now put a net to protect the remaining fish left but
we need to know what creature would do this??
Thanks in advance,
Gary.

What sort of area do you live in? Built up/country?? Are you near a quiet
river?.......I'm thinking Otter?

--
ßôyþëtë

Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

BoyPete wrote:
garyjohn_99 wrote:
Dear all,

I live in the south west of the UK. My neighbour has had her outdoor
pond invaded by some type of creature that has killed nearly all her
Koi.
She heard a lot of splashing in the pond at 3.00am but was affraid to
go out. This morning she has found all the Koi scattered around the
garden with all the heads missing!!!!!
What on earth would do this?. We have had problems with herons in the
past but not where they left the fish with heads missing.
My neighbour has now put a net to protect the remaining fish left but
we need to know what creature would do this??
Thanks in advance,
Gary.

What sort of area do you live in? Built up/country?? Are you near a quiet
river?.......I'm thinking Otter?

-- We live in the countryside, although not by a river. Have so far had suggestions of Fox, Mink and Otter - What I don't understand is why only eat the head? Surely if an animal is hungry it would eat the whole fish - but the bodies of the Koi were left scatered???
ßôyþëtë

Old 02-11-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.ponds

-- We live in the countryside, although not by a river. Have so far had suggestions of Fox, Mink and Otter - What I don't understand is why only eat the head? Surely if an animal is hungry it would eat the whole fish - but the bodies of the Koi were left scatered???

Racoon. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

"garyjohn_99" wrote in message
ups.com...

-- We live in the countryside, although not by a river. Have so far had
suggestions of Fox, Mink and Otter - What I don't understand is why only
eat the head? Surely if an animal is hungry it would eat the whole fish -
but the bodies of the Koi were left scatered???

I've heard of urban foxes released into the countryside where they will kill
a dozen chickens in a run. Not eat any of them, just kill them. Perhaps
you've got a released urban fox ?

Old 02-11-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

yup, I was thinking something in the weasel family that gets into a killing groove
and doesnt stop to actually eat all of one before moving on to kill the rest.
you got wild ferrets?
Ingrid

"Rodney Pont" wrote:
Do you have Mink in your area?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.ponds

garyjohn_99 wrote:
BoyPete wrote:
garyjohn_99 wrote:
[...]

This brings an unpleasant thought to mind. Are you sure the heads were
'bitten' off? Or was the severence clean......a knife?? Some sicko got a
grudge? Hope not.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

If I remember correctly for some reason York university has photos of quite a few animal paw prints. I'd suggest your neighbour ring her pond in soft raked sand or soft mud and has a look for prints. I think a fox would leave fairly big puncture wounds on the body.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

sean mckinney wrote:
If I remember correctly for some reason York university has photos of
quite a few animal paw prints. I'd suggest your neighbour ring her pond
in soft raked sand or soft mud and has a look for prints. I think a fox
would leave fairly big puncture wounds on the body.

--
sean mckinney

To all who have sent messages, we thank you very much. This is however,
still a mystery and a has been a great stress on my neighbour. The
outcome is still unclear as of the different suggestions. So, if anyone
comes up with any further thoughts, please forward them onto this
thread.
Many thanks,
Gary.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.ponds

"garyjohn_99" wrote in message
oups.com...
To all who have sent messages, we thank you very much. This is however,
still a mystery and a has been a great stress on my neighbour. The
outcome is still unclear as of the different suggestions. So, if anyone
comes up with any further thoughts, please forward them onto this
thread.

==================
I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but we had so much trouble with
predators we finally bought a tough fine black bird netting and netted our
ponds.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

Might help to forget the paw-print idea, and just tell the neighbor to
use some type of heavy screen to cover the pond until the "creator" gives up
and moves on.., or as a retired Special Forces MSG.., when not a very low
electrified dog fence.., to protect the Koi herd..(smile)..!! Better yet,
buy a good smart sheep dog..!!

Old 07-11-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.ponds

....Need here for a little piece of British humor. It's must likely a little
seen breed of English Koi Head Eating Scatter Bear. This bear was mentioned
briefly in the 25th chapter of Wind in the Willows..!!

Help required - fish dying John Ponds (alternative) 3 04-09-2005 07:13 PM
help required - green water lvb Ponds 1 21-06-2003 12:08 PM
Orchid ID - Help required Sarah Dale United Kingdom 5 12-11-2002 08:38 PM
Lawnmower help required. Oekul United Kingdom 1 27-10-2002 10:49 AM
help required for honda motor mower Laurie United Kingdom 1 22-10-2002 10:10 AM