Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Frog and tadpoles

Soon after completing 'laying' my very small garden pond last summer, a frog
quickly took up residence. It has resided there all through the winter and
today I discovered I have frogspawn, lots of it! As my pond IS so small,
what do I do now? Leave the frogspawn to develop into tadpoles, lots of
them, allowing nature to do what it will. Or remove some of the frogspawn
now? TIA.

MikeCT

Old 02-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:33:55 GMT, "MikeCT" wrote:

Soon after completing 'laying' my very small garden pond last summer, a frog
quickly took up residence. It has resided there all through the winter and
today I discovered I have frogspawn, lots of it! As my pond IS so small,
what do I do now? Leave the frogspawn to develop into tadpoles, lots of
them, allowing nature to do what it will. Or remove some of the frogspawn
now? TIA.

MikeCT

All of the above are okay. Unless you have fish.... they should eat some,
but if not enough, the taddies will compete with them for O2 and affect the
water quality. Now if you're soft hearted, you'll get a kiddy pool and put
the cast off spawn in it. Or you could do what many of us crazy people have
done, dig another pond.... just for frogs. ;-)

~ jan www.jjspond.us see lily pond
Old 02-03-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds

"MikeCT" wrote in message
Soon after completing 'laying' my very small garden pond last summer, a
frog quickly took up residence. It has resided there all through the
winter and today I discovered I have frogspawn, lots of it! As my pond IS
so small, what do I do now? Leave the frogspawn to develop into tadpoles,
lots of them, allowing nature to do what it will. Or remove some of the
frogspawn now? TIA.

===================
How small is small? You can remove some to a nearby lake or larger pond
(ask owner first). You can leave them all and hope for the best. They will
eat flake fish food. If they start to starve and die they may foul the
water. If there are too many and no filtration that may happen anyway.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

How ironic. CArol Gulley asking permission to place critters in
someone esles pond. Afterall she just dumps diseased and sick fish in
a farm pond and goes on her merry way..............
Any info used that has been given by Reel McKoi aka Caro Gulley aka
Zebulon and Koi Lo is best used with yur fingers crossed as she is
nortorious for giving out erroneous info and lying her ass off about
crap! Al;l part of her lifestyle and upbringing and being molested
and abused by her previous 5 husbands and daddy!

-------