Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 PM
K30a

Default tadpoles and organic lettuce part 2

Well, turns out that I was not boiling the lettuce
enough. What is lightly boiling anyway? (I took one
quarter of home ec then our school burned down...)

I boiled the lettuce until it was translucent and the
tadpoles are chowing down!
DH thinks full strength herbicide/pesticide lettuce
would be fine but I told him we are talking to people
who feed their fish shrimp and sliced oranges! They
will understand organic lettuce.

Going to the duck pond today to feed the fuzzy
baby geese.

k30a
Old 10-05-2003, 10:56 PM
jammer

I threw out a handfull of cheerios into the wading pool and man, the
tads love them. I will be boiling some lettuce or something i guess
(probably not organic tho) since there isnt enough algea in the
kiddie pool yet to feed them. The ones in the pond are cleaning the
sides well for me. The snails keep my pots clean....good system

Old 10-05-2003, 10:56 PM
jammer

Well, i wanted to say, "Awwwww......baby geese"

Old 10-05-2003, 11:32 PM
K30a

Duck pond report ~~~
well, we wanted to feed the baby Canada geese but their parents had moved them
to the river's edge instead of the duck pond.
We think we discovered why. We got out, two teenage girls and moi and were
mobbed by very
aggressive farm geese who also live at the duck pond.
They actually chased the girls' back into the van.
They had this unbalanced look in their beady eyes and they were organized...

k30a
Old 12-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Well, turns out that I was not boiling the lettuce
enough. What is lightly boiling anyway? (I took one
quarter of home ec then our school burned down...)

I boiled the lettuce until it was translucent and the
tadpoles are chowing down!
DH thinks full strength herbicide/pesticide lettuce
would be fine but I told him we are talking to people
who feed their fish shrimp and sliced oranges! They
will understand organic lettuce.

Going to the duck pond today to feed the fuzzy
baby geese.

k30a

Kathy,
I don't think any home ec class would prepare you to boil
lettuce. The home ec teachers I had always said it was to
be served crisp ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 AM
K30a

Bonnie wrote I don't think any home ec class would prepare you to boil
lettuce. The home ec teachers I had always said it was to
be served crisp ;-)

Oh, yeah! ;-)
Poor Mrs. Brown, after our school burned down we were moved to a single men's
quarters (this was a company town) and the girls of less than stellar study
skills could be found down in the pool hall. I, alas, stayed in the classroom
learning to sew.

k30a
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Russ and Cathy

"K30a" wrote in message

They had this unbalanced look in their beady eyes and they were

organized...

k30a

LOL
-Cathy

Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Lee Brouillet

"They had this unbalanced look in their beady eyes and they were
organized..."

Growing up, we had a family friend with a farm that us City Kids used to get
sent to for a few weeks in the summer to give our folks a break. I can
remember trying to sneak in late one night, and the darn Sentry Geese
actually tree'd me! I was hanging off a lower limb of an oak tree like a
sloth, with those darn geese jumping up and nippin' at me when the porch
lights came on! BUSTED!

Lee

Old 13-05-2003, 01:32 AM
jammer

On 12 May 2003 10:45:29 -0500, "Lee Brouillet"
wrote:

Growing up, we had a family friend with a farm that us City Kids used to get
sent to for a few weeks in the summer to give our folks a break. I can
remember trying to sneak in late one night, and the darn Sentry Geese
actually tree'd me! I was hanging off a lower limb of an oak tree like a
sloth, with those darn geese jumping up and nippin' at me when the porch
lights came on! BUSTED!

I was born a city dweller. I was relocated to the country in Oklahoma.
I was strolling down this marvelous road with a tree arbor above. The
breeze was blowing and all was right with the world. Then out of no
where these huge birds were chasing me on foot! I noticed they were
geese and we had geese in California, so i stopped. They didn't, I ran
like heck most of the way home. They weren't too friendly.
Old 17-05-2003, 02:08 AM
~ jan

DH thinks full strength herbicide/pesticide lettuce
would be fine but I told him we are talking to people
who feed their fish shrimp and sliced oranges! They
will understand organic lettuce.

Phuee, as Olive Oil was known to say, not sure how it's suppose to be
spelled, but phooee on organic, I agree with DH, organic is just a bunch of
hype, in my Master Gardener opinion. It's all chemicals and in actuality
some organic farmers use more organic chems to get the same affect as
man-made chems. If one really wants pesticide free one has to grow their
own. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-05-2003, 02:20 AM
K30a

another update:

I decided to freeze the lettuce.
I pull off a leaf, put it in one of the many
pondlets I've got the tadpoles in and they
chow down. Also keeps the fridge from smelling
like the dead lagoon.

k30a

Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (1/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 2 17-01-2018 04:48 PM
Lettuce - Lettuce 1a (Small).jpg (0/1) [email protected] Garden Photos 0 20-12-2015 08:10 PM
organic, non-organic and taste... Steve Young Edible Gardening 9 22-09-2007 07:18 PM
Tadpoles part 2 Steve and Lisa Ponds 2 29-06-2003 07:44 PM
thoughts on organic lettuce and tadpoles K30a Ponds 3 17-05-2003 03:08 AM