Old 15-03-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default quarantine advice

a gravity filter with gravel can be kept cycled with a handful of Hikari Gold fish
food or any food for that matter. gravel rebounds incredibly fast. is cleaned up
easily with PP. I agree 6 weeks is much better. Ingrid

~ jan wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:57:17 GMT, wrote:

you need an indicator koi ... GF arent enough for the worst. and the temp in that
tank has to get up to 80oF or so to let the heat activated virus or bacteria out and
do its worst. anything short of a month isnt going to do it. Ingrid

I agree, I go for 6 weeks minimum. 3 weeks without indicator koi, and 3
weeks with a small koi from the pond. I use gf to keep the filter going and
move them when the koi go in. It is good to leave a gf or 2 until you can
put a small koi from your pond in with it. ~ jan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 15-03-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:13:56 -0500, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

No, I didn't take a new one and put it outside. Ingrid said I needed to
have a koi as a test fish, but I don't want to sacrifice any of my own koi.
I only was saying that the only koi I wouldn't mind testing with would be
one from the lfs, but that I didn't think that would serve the purpose since
it wouldn't be from my own pond.

No it wouldn't. Better to sacrifice one from the pond and not the whole
pond later. But it also works to just keep them in Q-tank longer with the
heat up for a couple of weeks. The only problem with this trick is if your
new koi is a carrier, it won't break-out and die.

The new fish I just bought was in a bldg. without any climate control,
just out of the rain, sun and wind. Right now, he's indoors because I don't
want to just put him out in the somewhat neglected tank on the patio with
the goldies. I want to improve the water somewhat.

This is good, get a bucket filter going in the tub with the goldies.

Last summer I had a small one from my pond in my Q-tank, in case I
purchased anything, unfortunately it jumped out and even though I got it
back in the tank, it was too damaged to survive more than 1-2 weeks after.
Went to koi club and someone had some baby koi from their pond. I knew I
was fairly safe with home grown koi, and it was a little yellow gin rin
butterfly. So it came home and was put in the Q-tank for weeks before I
finally found something I liked. Yellow.... just like a canary. ;-)
Everything turned out fine. ~ jan

Old 15-03-2007, 03:48 PM posted to rec.ponds

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering
capacity. A PH crash can kill all your fish.

What do you do after a heavy rain? Large water changes?

Old 15-03-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even
acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering
capacity. A PH crash can kill all your fish.

What do you do after a heavy rain? Large water changes?

============================
Nothing. We seldom get rain heavy enough and long enough to drop the PH (or
hardness) much. The PH is as high as 8.2 here so getting enough rain to
drop it to or below 7 is unlikely. When that days comes I'll start building
an Ark. :-))

You said the tank was "full of rainwater." Fish can't live in pure
rainwater.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.ponds

yea yea yea ....CArol is always the exception to the rule. She can
feed cat food and they do great, she never gets heavy rains, never
gets predator problems, never does any trolling on usenet, always a
victim.........just shut the hell up carol gulley and get a life you
moron.Maybe go out and look for a new hubby to replace #6 would be a
good thing to kep you occupied for awhile, then you could change your
last name again and hide and plead innocent victim as always.....
Carol Gulley the usenet attention whore...

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:56:28 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

. ..

-------

Old 16-03-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:48:13 -0500, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering
capacity. A PH crash can kill all your fish.

What do you do after a heavy rain? Large water changes?

Check your ammonia & KH, if KH is low and ammonia is 0, add baking soda.
~ jan
Old 16-03-2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.ponds

toss in some dolomitic limestone. get it at the garden store. it is sorta gray with
darker hard flecks in it. whatever you do, do not make one of those plaster of paris
hockey pucks and toss that in. Ingrid

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering
capacity. A PH crash can kill all your fish.

What do you do after a heavy rain? Large water changes?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 20-03-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.ponds

I check the pH and toss in some dolomitic limestone, or, I got some liquid
calcium stuff. I have lake water that isnt very hard at all. if you have
sufficient hardness, rain shouldnt be a problem. my ponds on well water
dont show pH shifts after a rain. Ingrid

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even

acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering
capacity. A PH crash can kill all your fish.

What do you do after a heavy rain? Large water changes?

Retroactive Quarantine? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 25-02-2005 01:57 PM
quarantine fish(?) *muffin* Ponds 4 18-05-2003 07:20 PM
Quarantine question ~ jan Ponds 0 04-05-2003 07:20 AM
Quarantine Tank Advice LeilaniR Ponds 2 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-02-2003 03:34 PM