Old 15-03-2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default quarantine advice

I have had some really bad quarantine results. I have a tank in place - 350
gals, I think. It has some unwanted gf in it, which I think will serve well
for 'canary' fish. I know I need to run some of the water out and replace
it before I put in this new baby. I plan to do frequent water changes,
rather than setting up a filter. These gf have lived out the winter in this
setup without it, and I have not had good results with the filtration of
this tank in the past. The total fish load will be about 18" in the 350
gals. I think two to three weeks should be enough. Any disagreements?
My past bad experiences have led me to skip the quarantine entirely, but my
last resulting disaster cured that carelessness forever. Mostly, it makes
me think hard about acquiring new fish.

Old 15-03-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
I have had some really bad quarantine results. I have a tank in place -
350 gals, I think. It has some unwanted gf in it, which I think will serve
well for 'canary' fish. I know I need to run some of the water out and
replace it before I put in this new baby. I plan to do frequent water
changes, rather than setting up a filter. These gf have lived out the
winter in this setup without it, and I have not had good results with the
filtration of this tank in the past. The total fish load will be about 18"
in the 350 gals. I think two to three weeks should be enough. Any
disagreements?
My past bad experiences have led me to skip the quarantine entirely, but
my last resulting disaster cured that carelessness forever. Mostly, it
makes me think hard about acquiring new fish.

=============================
I lost almost every fish I had to a contagious ulcer infection back around
1998. All new fish, and they are few, are quarantined for 21 days now and
treated for parasites whether I see anything suspicious or not. I filter
even my smallest 150g ponds. What problem did you have filtering your 350g
tank?

No one goes by inches of fish anymore.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hmmm, thanks for that info. I hate to expose any of my koi. I like them
all. I would go get one at Petco, but I thought the point was to use a fish
that has been living in your own pond. Also, how do you heat up your QT?
Are tank heaters expensive?
wrote in message
you need an indicator koi ... GF arent enough for the worst. and the temp
in that
tank has to get up to 80oF or so to let the heat activated virus or
bacteria out and
do its worst. anything short of a month isnt going to do it. Ingrid

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 15-03-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds

I forgot to add that I was going to treat the water for parasites and
fungus.
I think my pump was too big for the tank, and I kind of rigged the filter
petty cheaply. The water was agitated an awful lot. I didn't want to pop
for a new one. Also, I had trouble with the fish hating the tank and
stressing out. Now that I think of it, though, those fish were big. As for
the fish load, it is about four small gf, two and a half, on up to about
six inches long. The new one is about four inches.
=============================

Old 15-03-2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
I forgot to add that I was going to treat the water for parasites and
fungus.
I think my pump was too big for the tank, and I kind of rigged the filter
petty cheaply. The water was agitated an awful lot.

I believe too much agitation does stress them. My 150g ponds/tanks have
pumps that are in the 250gph range. They're wrapped in plastic window
screen and some poly quilt batting material and stuffed in plastic pots.
There's no wild agitation. I have them at one end, not the middle so the
fish can rest or hide in the plants at the opposite side.

I didn't want to pop
for a new one. Also, I had trouble with the fish hating the tank and
stressing out. Now that I think of it, though, those fish were big. As
for the fish load, it is about four small gf, two and a half, on up to
about six inches long. The new one is about four inches.

I always figure 10g per small goldfish and 20 to 30g per adult which are
over 8" long.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
Hmmm, thanks for that info. I hate to expose any of my koi. I like them
all. I would go get one at Petco, but I thought the point was to use a
fish that has been living in your own pond. Also, how do you heat up your
QT? Are tank heaters expensive?

==========================
You didn't take a new fish from the pet shop and put it outside in cold
water did you? That can be a real shock since pet stores keep their tank on
the warm side. You can't easily heat and outdoor tank. My quarantine tank
is inside.

I don't expose anything to new fish. And watch for cross-contamination by
hand or fish nets.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 05:13 AM posted to rec.ponds

No, I didn't take a new one and put it outside. Ingrid said I needed to
have a koi as a test fish, but I don't want to sacrifice any of my own koi.
I only was saying that the only koi I wouldn't mind testing with would be
one from the lfs, but that I didn't think that would serve the purpose since
it wouldn't be from my own pond.
The new fish I just bought was in a bldg. without any climate control,
just out of the rain, sun and wind. Right now, he's indoors because I don't
want to just put him out in the somewhat neglected tank on the patio with
the goldies. I want to improve the water somewhat. We just got in from SA
this afternoon and I had too much to do and too stormy a day to set up the
tank today. We are on a well, but the tank is full of rainwater, right now.
Our highs are mostly in the mid to upper 70's now. We start most days
around 60 degrees. I don't know how I would keep him inside with enough
water to accommodate him and one other one.

Old 15-03-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
No, I didn't take a new one and put it outside. Ingrid said I needed to
have a koi as a test fish, but I don't want to sacrifice any of my own
koi.

I don't use "test fish" and never found that necessary. What if the test
fish has immunity to whatever the new fish has? And what do you do with the
test fish after the quarantine time is over? To each his or her own
way.......

I only was saying that the only koi I wouldn't mind testing with would be
one from the lfs, but that I didn't think that would serve the purpose
since it wouldn't be from my own pond.
The new fish I just bought was in a bldg. without any climate control,
just out of the rain, sun and wind. Right now, he's indoors because I
don't want to just put him out in the somewhat neglected tank on the patio
with the goldies. I want to improve the water somewhat.

Lots and lots of partial water changes. :-) Filtering and aeration would
also help. Get a cheap powerhead and make one of the filters like I have.
Cheap, easy and effective.

We just got in from SA
this afternoon and I had too much to do and too stormy a day to set up the
tank today. We are on a well, but the tank is full of rainwater, right
now.

Watch the hardness as rain water can make the water too soft and even acid
depending on where you live (acid rain). Also it has no buffering capacity.
A PH crash can kill all your fish.

Our highs are mostly in the mid to upper 70's now. We start most days
around 60 degrees. I don't know how I would keep him inside with enough
water to accommodate him and one other one.

Gotcha!
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-03-2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

And your fix was to collect them all up and dump them in a farm pond
to get rid of them.....you inconsiderate moron. Carol Gulley need to
be QT's, as she is always spreading trash and mess on the
usenet........

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:43:30 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

. ..

-------
Old 15-03-2007, 12:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

You do not have a clue you clueless wonder......so just do the rp
folks a favor and STFU

Old 15-03-2007, 12:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

Shut up you clueless moron..............

Why do you think everyone is as clueless as you are CArol Gulley?

You moron from Mt. Juliet, TN.

Old 15-03-2007, 12:46 PM posted to rec.ponds

Your just a cheap bitch ain;t ya Carol?
YOur also clueless and dumb.........now dance you moron kook muppet,
dance...I own yu bitch!

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:06:10 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

.. .

Old 15-03-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

if you have a plastic stock tank a 100watt aquarium heater will work as long as you
can cover the stock tank in plastic. plastic holds the heat in. and all you have to
do is spike the temp for a couple days (I think) and then let the temp drop by 2o or
so per day. in your necks of the woods, that should happen. here is basics for
quarantine
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...%20pond%20fish
ignore the heat up at the end, that was before this heat activated plaque hit. I
would do the heat activation after 2 weeks then give em 2 weeks to see if they break
out.

so you are absolutely sure you just gotta have this new koi, that you wont be happy
without it being in your pond??? Ingrid

"Ann in Houston" wrote:

Hmmm, thanks for that info. I hate to expose any of my koi. I like them
all. I would go get one at Petco, but I thought the point was to use a fish
that has been living in your own pond. Also, how do you heat up your QT?
Are tank heaters expensive?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Retroactive Quarantine? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 25-02-2005 01:57 PM
quarantine fish(?) *muffin* Ponds 4 18-05-2003 07:20 PM
Quarantine question ~ jan Ponds 0 04-05-2003 07:20 AM
Quarantine Tank Advice LeilaniR Ponds 2 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-02-2003 03:34 PM