Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Michael Shaffer

Default Shelter for Koi?

hi, anybody know a good way to make a hiding area for some Koi? Would a
plastic crate be ok? We have a racoon here so I'm just worried about
them being eaten.

Old 24-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Michael Shaffer wrote:
hi, anybody know a good way to make a hiding area for some Koi? Would a
plastic crate be ok? We have a racoon here so I'm just worried about
them being eaten.

Get 1 or 2 clay flue pipes. The fish will love swimming in
and out and it will give them a place to hide. I took a
file to the sharp edges so that the fish wouldn't get cut on
a sharp edge. The plastic crates are fine for a short
period of time, koi grow quickly and you don't want your
fish to get stuck in the crates (they have been known to do
this).

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

I took 4 concrete blocks and painted them black, then lined them up so there
were tunnels that the fish could hide in. The side benefit: there's a nice
platform on which to put stuff (plants, rock formations, trickle tower,
fountain, etc.)

Lee

Old 25-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Not if you let it dry! Make sure you use flat black paint (cheap stuff is
fine) and that it's throughly dry before you put it in the water. Give it a
day or so. Then, no problem. The paint will keep the new block from leaching
lime into the water, which would mess with your pH.

Old 28-04-2003, 07:08 AM
~ jan

hi, anybody know a good way to make a hiding area for some Koi? Would a
plastic crate be ok? We have a racoon here so I'm just worried about
them being eaten.

Well if the raccoon doesn't get them, it will make a mess of your pond
trying. Before the raccoon(s) get even a taste of sushi purchase a
Scarecrow, a picture can be seen at http://www.pondrx.com under Heron
repellents. You might find a better price elsewhere, so shop around. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a