Old 28-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Sue Alexandre

Default Skimmer overflow?

Hi.
FINALLY enough decent days to open my pond here in Connecticut! It was so
great to finally be out there again, I tore down my waterfall to build a new
one, and also took on the challenge of installing the skimmer I had
purchased over the winter. What a frustrating job that skimmer installation
is..... but I certainly learned from my mistakes and will be a pro if I ever
have to do another one. Question, though: the pump in the skimmer pumps
the water to a large plastic bucket that has the overflow spout that serves
as my waterfall. The water is pumped into the bottom of the bucket, goes
through fiber filtering, then through lava rock, and down the falls. But
when I need to turn off my pump for maintenance, cleaning, etc. the water in
the bucket goes back through the hose it came in through and back into the
skimmer. My skimmer has the bellows trap door, so the water and leaves
can't go back into the pond, but that leaves the skimmer overflowing into
the dirt and hole it's sitting in. Has anyone come up with a solution to
something like that? Thanks in advance.
Sue

Old 28-04-2003, 06:32 PM
joe

Sue Alexandre wrote:

My skimmer has the bellows trap door, so the water and leaves
can't go back into the pond, but that leaves the skimmer overflowing into
the dirt and hole it's sitting in. Has anyone come up with a solution to
something like that?

You can buy a backflow preventer valve. It's really just a flap that goes in
the piping. Home depot might have them, if not a plumbing or landscaping
place might.

Joe

Old 28-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Doug

I forgot to answer your other question.I installed mine right after the
pump,this way the water in the line to the filter does not back flow into
the pump and in the pond.You can install it right before the line that goes
into the filter too.

Doug
"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Doug, I have a similiar problem... on the hose that
leads from the Veggie Filter back to the pump.
How, where and what kind of valve do I install?

Nedra