Old 11-05-2003, 10:08 PM
capTain

Default water overflow? - newbie question

This may sound like a dumb question, but we're planning on a pond for our
backyard
and I keep wondering about overflow.
What happens when it rains?
Does the pond overflow? Or do I need a overflow drain of some sort?
This is going to be a very small pond (3ft x 6ft?)
with a water fall down 3ft to another small pond (same size).

Any suggested sites to help me?

Thanks, Gary.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:21 PM
John Hines

"capTain" wrote:

What happens when it rains?
Does the pond overflow? Or do I need a overflow drain of some sort?

Yes. Unless you specifically provide an overflow drain, the pond will
overflow.

Usually this isn't a problem, in that the water just runs over the
lowest edge.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 AM
capTain

Thanks John,

I think I'll have to plan for a drain then.
I don't like the idea of the water running over onto my yard.
Is this any less a problem for larger ponds?
Or is it common for a good pond simply to have an overflow pipe?

thanks, Gary.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
John Rutz

capTain wrote:
Thanks John,

I think I'll have to plan for a drain then.
I don't like the idea of the water running over onto my yard.
Is this any less a problem for larger ponds?
Or is it common for a good pond simply to have an overflow pipe?

thanks, Gary.

Gary

a lot of us plan a low spot in the pond edge somewhere around the pond
for drainage/overflow into yard or garden makes it easy when doing
water changes you can over fill the pond to get rid of some of the
amonia nitrite nitrate say 500 gal pond 10% = 50 gal so fill with 100
galons you get roughly the 10 % change also a planned outlet keeps
water away from areas where it could possibly hurt such as foundations

doesnt hurt the yard in fact it helps it the pond water is good
fertilizer

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 12-05-2003, 03:33 PM
John Hines

"capTain" wrote:

I think I'll have to plan for a drain then.
I don't like the idea of the water running over onto my yard.

Umm, you don't like water running onto your yard, when it is pouring
rain?

Seems kinda silly to me.

You may have to insure that you follow the rules when connecting up to a
sewer system, I know that for me, connecting storm water up to the
sanitary sewer is a no-no. (they don't want to treat the storm water)

Otherwise, you'll just have to let the pond drain onto your property
anyway.

Old 13-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Rich Conley

We have something set up so my dad can backflush the pool filter....a PVC
pipe comes out of the ground near the driveway..and just sprays water onto
the driveway...which runs down into the storm drains...

John Hines wrote:

"capTain" wrote:

I think I'll have to plan for a drain then.
I don't like the idea of the water running over onto my yard.

Umm, you don't like water running onto your yard, when it is pouring
rain?

Seems kinda silly to me.

You may have to insure that you follow the rules when connecting up to a
sewer system, I know that for me, connecting storm water up to the
sanitary sewer is a no-no. (they don't want to treat the storm water)

Otherwise, you'll just have to let the pond drain onto your property
anyway.

water areating from overflow into sump... JUSTIN BOUCHER Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 09-06-2005 02:56 PM
Waterbutt With Overflow Outlet - Obtainable / Micko United Kingdom 5 25-02-2005 04:28 PM
Pond Overflow Ponds 6 16-06-2004 05:03 PM
All-Glass Twin-Flo Corner Overflow Tanks any experiance? Larry Beach Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 01-07-2003 02:32 AM
Skimmer overflow? Sue Alexandre Ponds 3 28-04-2003 11:56 PM