Old 06-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Congrats rec.ponds. Amazing newsgroup. Hats off.

Thank you for your compliments about our little group here. We love each
other and enjoy our common bond,,,,water and fish.

This is my little haven away from the stress of life.

BTW, I couldn't get to your pictures, did I do something wrong?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
OK, so I'm probably fairly new, but still.

This is one of the newsgroups that keeps on "growing" if you pardon my

pun.

So much information, so few flame wars.

Sure, there is the occasional heated moment, but that's internet for you.

Still, so many nice folks (ahum, lots of them are female ), it stands
out.

Sure, I don't read every one of the 50.000 plus major newsgroups, but I do
read this one since 1998... and it's still the same great people like

K30a,
Lee Br, Jan, Bonny E. and... I forget a shitload of others. To all of

you
regulars, hats off :-) (and don't be offended about the list OK ?)

It's hard to address such a large audience, but ... uhm, to put it into
todays terms... respec ;-)

I've not been an active poster (sorry) but I learned so much from this NG,
it's almost scary. Sure the pond bug did bite me, I know about PORG, but
this NG made me think a few times. Teached me stuff... watercress

anyone
?

Anyway, this is not about my pond (although that one of course is so great
;-) ) but a salute to the people that continue to prove the internet is

not
just a big stupid mistake.

Cheers folks,

Theo

Old 06-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Nedra

Theo, I love your pics. Your pond is fascinating....
What is the glass looking thing that is part of the deck?
I can imagine your fish do enjoy their winter quarters.
grin

Nedra

"Theo van Daele" wrote in message
Ugh ... ;-)

OK consider yor self pushed

Pond now looks like this: http://www.wide-o.net/new_pond/earlygarden.jpg

Fish are going pretty well : http://www.wide-o.net/new_pond/fishfun.jpg

Early May 2003, zone7 (I think), and yes that's just after it has been
enlarged for the 4th year in a row Whaddayamean starting out

too
small ? sigh, why didn't I listen eh...

Will do a serious webpage soon, just to busy sitting at the pond right now
:blush:

BTW, beneath the "deck" is a 7 ft winter home. Amazing how the fish love
that place. They gather there comes heron time, and consider it being
their "shelter".

I knew I was gonna regret that list BTW... just looking at my email inbox
revealed lots & lots more names. But as I said, it's not about a few
people, it's about a newsgroup that somehow stands out.

Well done.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I got through the second time around.

--
_______________________________________

Old 06-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Nice pond and Garden, and Fish. How do you keep your pond so clear without
plants and shade?

--
_______________________________________

Old 06-05-2003, 06:08 AM
zookeeper

Lovely pond, and beautiful fish! Ok, now 'fess up on the details: how
large / deep is pond? how big was it to start with? what is filter /
pump / other equipemtn? is the "window" in the deck (fish house?) glass
or plexiglas? etc. etc. Curious PORGs are awaiting your responses.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond in Oregon

Old 06-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Theo van Daele

BTW, I couldn't get to your pictures, did I do something wrong?

I made a small webpage, please try this link:
http://www.wide-o.net/pond_work/

I've put in the "work in progress" pics, including a rather sad morning when
all the water found a way under the liner... clamp those hoses folks...

You can compare the new pond with last years :
http://www.wide-o.net/pond2003/

Let me know if it doesn't work :-)

Theo

Old 06-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Theo van Daele wrote:
BTW, I couldn't get to your pictures, did I do something wrong?

I made a small webpage, please try this link:
http://www.wide-o.net/pond_work/

I've put in the "work in progress" pics, including a rather sad morning when
all the water found a way under the liner... clamp those hoses folks...

You can compare the new pond with last years :
http://www.wide-o.net/pond2003/

Let me know if it doesn't work :-)

Theo

Thanks for posting your webpage. Good shots of the fish.
How did you get them to pose so nicely? I like the photo
of the mishap too - a great reminder for all of us.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

Theo, how absolutely marvelous! It looks like it belongs there in your yard,
the fish look happy, you dug half way to China for depth, you made "stairs"
to get out (good thinking!), and I love the window. I'm surprised it doesn't
get a nice furry coat of algae on the under side . . . how do you clean it?
*Excellent* work!

Lee

Old 06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
~ jan

Wow, RP helped with all THAT, we ARE impressive aren't we!?

Okay, BV, these pictures are the bar, what'syagonnado? ;o)

I love the winter/heron hiding area, great idea!!!! Wish I had one. ~ jan

On Mon, 05 May 2003 21:43:53 GMT, "Theo van Daele" wrote:

Pond now looks like this: http://www.wide-o.net/new_pond/earlygarden.jpg

Fish are going pretty well : http://www.wide-o.net/new_pond/fishfun.jpg

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
Wow, RP helped with all THAT, we ARE impressive aren't we!?

Okay, BV, these pictures are the bar, what'syagonnado? ;o)

snip

I am workin' on it I swear...just too much family, work and life stuff.
Funny, life is always getting the way of me living. Unfortunately for me, I
have a day job, and a night job...and the summer months go to the
family...so I am not sure how long it will take me to get the pond cleaned
up and photo ready. I will do my best though...

BV.

P.S. Thanks for giving the "new guy" props and puttin' the pressure on me.
*sheesh*

Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Nedra

Now this pond is beyond words!! I especially like the pic
of the huge orange kitty. And now we know why the pond
looks so clear. It's deep! Great job, Theo.

Nedra

Old 06-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"~ jan" wrote in message

Wow, RP helped with all THAT, we ARE impressive aren't we!?

Okay, BV, these pictures are the bar, what'syagonnado? ;o)

snip

I am workin' on it I swear...just too much family, work and life stuff.
Funny, life is always getting the way of me living. Unfortunately for me, I
have a day job, and a night job...and the summer months go to the
family...so I am not sure how long it will take me to get the pond cleaned
up and photo ready. I will do my best though...

BV.

P.S. Thanks for giving the "new guy" props and puttin' the pressure on me.
*sheesh*

Hi BV,
Theo isn't a new guy - he's just returned to the fold.

Old 07-05-2003, 06:44 AM
~ jan

I am workin' on it I swear...just too much family, work and life stuff.

It's that WORK stuff that is a problem, all ponders should be on the
government payroll for building wetlands. ;o) Granted, we're not too keen
on all types of wetland critters, but still.... ) ~ jan

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo van Daele

How did you get them to pose so nicely?

Well, they normally lay on the bottom of the pond on their sides, but I just
call them up and ask 'm to sit still ;-)

Nah, all kidding aside, I just take hundreds of pics, digital is cheap, and
then select the better looking ones. Trust me, I have many pictures of
blurs :-)

It's a little side project, I try to take a few pics at least every 2 weeks,
and they all get saved per year/month/day on my PC. Makes it easy to
compare seasons, early springs, fish size etc.

I like the photo
of the mishap too - a great reminder for all of us.

Yup, I was lucky that this happened when the ponds weren't connected yet
! Still, when I came out and saw that, I had to fight the tears.
It also revealed a flaw in my thinking: "if I hang the pump halfway, the
pond can never be completely emptied". Not true as I found out, the water
running back under the liner pushes it up, so more water to pump, goes under
liner, so liner goes up... it was *completely* dry on top.

Theo

Old 07-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Theo van Daele

Thanks :-)

And now we know why the pond

looks so clear. It's deep!

That was important to me this time. After 4 years I know how much shallow
water can change in temperature, especially in spring where we had a 25°C
days followed by a -7°C frost at night. The mass of water prevents fast
temp swings, and koi apparantly need some depth so they can "swim up", there
are many other good reasons... I asked my wife to not let me stop
digging until I disappeared in the pond (I'm 6'7") and I would have if not
for the ground water.

you dug half way to China for depth

For us over here, that's Australia. Stop digging when you find kangaroo
bones ;-)

I love the window. I'm surprised it doesn't
get a nice furry coat of algae on the under side . . . how do you clean
it?

The glass is there since last September, very wet winter, but yet no sign
(to my own surprise) of algae underneath. Still, if it happens, it's 4
separate tiles (50 x 50 cm) so they can easily be lifted, taken away, and
given a good scrub.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll have to go & rearrange some rocks ;-)

Theo

Congrats Danny! Eric Hunt Orchids 6 24-01-2007 05:57 AM
Congrats to Danny Lentz K Barrett Orchids 8 30-09-2006 02:14 PM
trouble getting rec. ponds newsgroup mail Joan Pomatto Ponds 7 01-10-2004 09:19 PM