Old 11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Ginger

Default partially above ground ponds

I was wondering if perhaps any one had any photos of a pond that is
partially above ground? We have had an "inground" pond for several years but
also have several water loving dogs and did not want to fence in the pond
and so we are thinking of having it "partially above ground" with some sort
of support as a deterent. Please email me with any suggestions or photos off
list.

thanks!

Old 11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Chris

I have a 29" deep x 20' diameter above ground pond made out of retaining
wall block. It works good for me I did this to keep my dogs out also.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Ginger

Thanks. Is yours totally above ground? I was thinking of sort of half and
half. And is water temperature/heat more of a problem?

Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Just Me \Koi\

If you go to my link, you will see that my veggie filter is above ground.
Though another 12" of it goes into the ground.

It's made of block with rock veneer on the face.

Unless you have small dogs, a 24" height will not deter your dog if the
perimeter has a wide enough area for him to jump on to! My 2 boxers will
jump on the VF walls and lay there to give them a better view of the Koi
playing around!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 12-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

"Ginger" wrote in message

I was wondering if perhaps any one had any photos of a pond that is
partially above ground? We have had an "inground" pond for several years

but

also have several water loving dogs and did not want to fence in the

pond

and so we are thinking of having it "partially above ground" with some

sort

of support as a deterent. Please email me with any suggestions or photos

off

list.

thanks!

There is a photo of my raised pond on the second
page. It is 24" above and 20" or so in ground.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 AM
mad

my partially above-ground pond is a 300 gallon stock tank. it didn't stop
the neighbor's dog from getting into it, but the scolding he got while being
dragged out did. he hasn't been back.

we were going to set it lower in the ground with only about a foot above
ground but while digging we ran into a water line. so we added some of the
dirt back in, tamped it down, put in some gravel and sand so we could level
it, and stuck the pond in the hole. we stacked brick around it to cover up
the bright blue. the fish are happy.

mad
--
See my zone 8B pond:
http://community.webshots.com/album/14478479WdPMkPBPmt

Old 13-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

But thank you again Lee.

I am beyond obsessed with this hobby I tell you. I'm in the design stage of
my 4th pond! But the wife now wants me to just dig up the first two and
make them into one big pond!

But I love the peace when I'm with my Koi. They don't complain about
deadlines, they don't stress me out about change orders, building department
approvals, they put up with me even when I'm politically incorrect, and
appreciate every minute and dollar I give them!

--

Old 14-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Lee Brouillet

I love the serenity of watching them glide through the water, with the
sounds of the waterfall in the background. When the water is clear and
"right", and the fish are happy and healthy, it seems that all is right with
the world, and I'm at peace. It's worth the work and effort to learn to be
so rewarded! God only knows I've put in a lot of work and effort in things
that not only didn't have a reward, but actually (pooped) on me instead!

Lee