Old 11-05-2003, 10:45 PM
jammer

Default Dont forget the net or screen!

I am an idiot.

Had all these tadpoles in a kiddie pool. Gave them cheerios last night
and enjoyed watching them on their merry-go-rounds, but today i reason
that birds like cheerios too, and hey, if there are fish attached to
those cheerios, i bet they like them even better.

I dont know how many are left but something wiped out over a thousand.

Now, after the fact, there are house screens on top of the pool to
save whatever is left.

Let this be a lesson to some other new toad/pond person!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

That's sad.

Wiped them out by eating or have they died...ammonia spike?

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 12-05-2003, 06:33 AM
jammer

On Mon, 12 May 2003 00:16:53 -0500, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

That's sad.

Wiped them out by eating or have they died...ammonia spike?

Jim

Most are out of the pool, gone. Some WERE found dead and I did a
partial water change. Just about 10-20% i guess.

Anything else i can do for them regarding water quality?

I started fretting over it and then thought in nature they have crap
for water sometimes, but then they aren't in plastic maybe, either.
There are many in the pond still , along with my 2 almost 4 inch
beauty goldfish, and too many baby ones found lately. (Found a dead
baby GF in the tadpole pool too) I figure when the tadpoles turn to
toads and hop out of the pond, i will clean the pond. IF the water
doesn't turn to crap before that.

Any advice to help everyone live? I have no filter or pump or test kit
(or knowledge of such thing) and a 70? gallon pondlet. I believe i
have sufficient vegetation in the pond due to lack of pond scum,
excess algea and relatively clear water. The kiddie pool on the other
hand has maybe 15-18 gallons of water, and only about 3 bunches of
anacharis and a potted iris for plant matter.

???????

juls/zone 7

Old 12-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

15 gallons isn't very many. If there were a lot of tadpoles, you could
easily have a water problem. That, however, would not explain the missing
tadpoles! I would think 50 to 100 wold max out that much water, especially
if there is no filter or established nitrogen cycle bacteria.

ood luck next time.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Lee Brouillet

May I respectfully repeat: Toadpoles last about 2 or 3 weeks, then disappear
POOF! When mine leave the pond, they still have their little tails! Nothing
eats them, they just go to continue their development somewhere else, and
I'll be dashed if I know where! Maybe nothing got your tads: maybe it was
just time to go???? BTW, I tossed a piece of watermelon in the pond
yesterday: the fish *ignored* it, but the taddies were crawling ALL over it,
and even burrowed holes IN it!

Lee

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Lee,

Our taddies get placed over a long period. They keep on thriving and the
ground around the pond has lots of toadlets on it. I suspect a good number
get mowed when we do the lawn wach week! Bummer. Still, there are loads of
them in the garden and in the plantings around the house and in the woods
accross the road.. They are also in the shrubs at a distance. Jim guesses
we do 10,000 a year. Maybe it is good they don't all make it.

We also have loads of frogs. Jim reports they thrive best in the veggie
filters, no big fish.

Old 14-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Lee Brouillet

And I got home last night and it was the POOF! day: they were all gone. Nary
a one left in the pond! It's only been about 3 weeks or so. Very strange
how they do that!

Lee

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message .. .

Old 14-05-2003, 05:20 AM
jammer

On 13 May 2003 10:35:43 -0500, "Lee Brouillet"
wrote:

And I got home last night and it was the POOF! day: they were all gone. Nary
a one left in the pond! It's only been about 3 weeks or so. Very strange
how they do that!

Lee

I was really hoping they would hang out sometimes...

I still have about 50 in the pond...tadpoles.

Old 17-05-2003, 10:56 PM
~ jan

Actually this might be good advice for frog tadpoles in a small pond. I had
a pond club member stop by and get some taddies from me because she has a
tadpole eating robin in the yard. She will be screening it after mine are
put in.

Here I was ticked because the robins were digging up my ground cover and
now I have to worry about them being taddy eating birds?!!! I'm seriously
thinking of another scarecrow for the lily pond. On the highest sensitivity
they will go off on a robin. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 18-05-2003, 12:44 AM
jammer

On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:52:43 -0700, ~ jan
wrote:

Actually this might be good advice for frog tadpoles in a small pond. I had
a pond club member stop by and get some taddies from me because she has a
tadpole eating robin in the yard. She will be screening it after mine are
put in.

Here I was ticked because the robins were digging up my ground cover and
now I have to worry about them being taddy eating birds?!!! I'm seriously
thinking of another scarecrow for the lily pond. On the highest sensitivity
they will go off on a robin. ~ jan

Uh, I better not find any tad eating robins here! Oh man....If i lost
the rest of the babies I will be crushed.

Old 19-05-2003, 08:08 AM
jammer

I am really enjoying the tadpoles in the pond. They are cute as heck.
I am going to miss them when they leave but will look forward to
future years. I can't see if they have any front legs, they are so
black. But they like being out in the open. At times they pool
together 0-1/4 inch under the water on bricks I have in there for the
toads. I pushed some azolla over the top of the bricks to conceal them
so they chose lilly pads. My concern is that they are getting bigger
and like the surface. I am going to screen one end where the bricks
are by day and remove it for the toads by night. I wonder if i
shouldn't go do that now instead of wait for tomorrow and not have any
babies left? Uh, yes, but it will freak out the toads when they try
to get out on that end...I wish the babies liked it somewhere else.
The middle would be easy to protect....Just the same, here i go.