Old 16-05-2003, 04:20 AM
John Rutz

Default UV clarifiers no 2

Ok so i should be able to get this from the catalog website but they
dont seem to address this or Im missing it

how oftern should the pond volume go thru the UV? or how many gph
should the thing be capable of based on my pond being 8000+ gallons?

the ones I have found that can take my pumps are in the 5000-8000 dollar
range OMG
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 16-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
John Rutz wrote:

Ok so i should be able to get this from the catalog website but they
dont seem to address this or Im missing it

how oftern should the pond volume go thru the UV? or how many gph
should the thing be capable of based on my pond being 8000+ gallons?

You will be fine with the 30 watt Pro Clear unit. It is rated at 7k,
but you will be fine. But if you have direct sun and phosphate rich
water I might suggest ganging 2 of them together. They are designed for
this.

It can handle 300/gal/hr. But I would suggest putting in 2 tees with a
valve between them to force divert water through the UV.

If you like these unit's, just E-MAIL me I'll happily sell you them at
my cost +shipping... not looking for profit here ever...just post the
results here.

jay
Thu, May 15, 2003

the ones I have found that can take my pumps are in the 5000-8000 dollar
range OMG

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 16-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Go Fig

In article ,
Go Fig wrote:

In article ,
John Rutz wrote:

Ok so i should be able to get this from the catalog website but they
dont seem to address this or Im missing it

how oftern should the pond volume go thru the UV? or how many gph
should the thing be capable of based on my pond being 8000+ gallons?

You will be fine with the 30 watt Pro Clear unit. It is rated at 7k,
but you will be fine. But if you have direct sun and phosphate rich
water I might suggest ganging 2 of them together. They are designed for
this.

It can handle 300/gal/hr.

opps 3000/gal/hr.

jay

Old 16-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

John, Tee off your main line for a reduced flow rate to go through the UV.
(You should be a wiz at that by now GBG). On the other hand, smaller UV's
than rated for your swimmin' hole will still work, just slower. It would be
nice to get one unit that can handle your size pond at your flow rate, but
not all of us have the last name of "Gates" and have to improvise on
occasion. Several smaller units could work, too.

How are the new babies doin?

Lee

Old 17-05-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

John,

For your size pond the recommended would be 80 watt, which is 2 - 40 watt
units in manufactured series. It has a recommended flow rate of about 20
gpm max for the dwell time/exposure to work. The cost of two 40 watt units
is less than he price of one 80 watt unit. I would try one and if it worked
save the cost of the second. If not, then add a second.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-05-2003, 02:44 AM
John Rutz

Lee Brouillet wrote:
John, Tee off your main line for a reduced flow rate to go through the UV.
(You should be a wiz at that by now GBG). On the other hand, smaller UV's
than rated for your swimmin' hole will still work, just slower. It would be
nice to get one unit that can handle your size pond at your flow rate, but
not all of us have the last name of "Gates" and have to improvise on
occasion. Several smaller units could work, too.
***
I found one that is almost afordable comes with its own built in pump

but I want to wait till my nw plants come in (they'r late) and see how
that works before i jump into a UV I just ordered nw mag pumps to
replace the old origional home depot pumps so should save a bit on my
eleteilic one month of running 3 mags cost me 45.00 ome month of runnin
my 2 old pumps cos 100 more so an UV is in the future in any case

How are the new babies doin?
***
they are fine and growin some another month in the q tank to grow out a
bit more, and into the pond they go, not to be seen again till next
summer ;-)
BTW the 200 galons of water in the q tank is staying clear runnin it
throuh the 55 galon filter :-) based on that I need a 4500 galon filter
for the pond GBBL

Lee

Old 17-05-2003, 03:20 AM
John Rutz

RichToyBox wrote:
John,

For your size pond the recommended would be 80 watt, which is 2 - 40 watt
units in manufactured series. It has a recommended flow rate of about 20
gpm max for the dwell time/exposure to work. The cost of two 40 watt units
is less than he price of one 80 watt unit. I would try one and if it worked
save the cost of the second. If not, then add a second.

--

thanks Rich
Im gonna have to learn to read again

Old 17-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Fringe Ryder

John Rutz sez:
Ok so i should be able to get this from the catalog website but they
dont seem to address this or Im missing it

how oftern should the pond volume go thru the UV? or how many gph
should the thing be capable of based on my pond being 8000+ gallons?

the ones I have found that can take my pumps are in the 5000-8000 dollar
range OMG

First off, you want slower water flow than you think. The light needs time
to kill things in the water. So you will need to divert some flow.

Second, the manufacturers like to supersize to higher profits, and ponders
tend towards the "nothing is too good for my pond" philosophy, but that
misses the point of a UV. The UV kills things. That's what it does.
Things have to reproduce faster than killed to cause a problem.

There are two conditions you can use your UV for: clarified and sterilized.
Clarified means, "no green water". Sterilized means, "no green water and a
lot fewer other things". Sterilized is much more thorough than clarified,
and doesn't do any harm, but it may not do much more good either, unless
you have a somewhat infected pond.

To clarify, the only requirement is that stuff get killed faster than it
blooms. It takes a while (days) for green water to "show up", so it
doesn't take much to prevent it. The goal is more to kill off enough that
it isn't visible than to render the water unnatural.

The difference is in cost. My pond (see pics at
http://www.fringeweb.com/Ponds/kc/MyPond.html ) uses a maybe-200gph pump on
a 15 watt frog. My pond is nowhere near yours in size, but you can tell
from the pics that it's not tiny, and it stays crystal clear.

UV clarifiers John Rutz Ponds 7 17-05-2003 10:08 AM
UVC Sterilizers/Clarifiers J. Douglas Mercer Ponds (alternative) 1 17-04-2003 07:20 AM