Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default New plants, could use advice

Hallo everybody
I tried Rob's rule nr 1 yesterday.
I went out to buy an orchid. (Second vanda coerulea). But the store gave it
to me as a present to. (Hip Hip hoera)
I also got 3 tickets for a tombola. Guess what I won something. So today I
went back there to get my prize. A coupon to buy more plants. (just lovely)
So I bought some more plants. (Renathera imschootiana and a vanda Dr.
Anek*V.Chindavat).
Now every customer gets 10% of the value bought for after ten visites. And
that was another ?15. So I bought a Ascocentrum curvifolium for it and got a
cirrhopetalum species as a gift. (Been in business for 25 years)

I just don't know anything about renanthera, ascocentrum and cirrhopetalum.
I got some advice on the cirrhopetalum but forgot to ask about the others.
So if anyone has any advice she/he would be willing to share with me, I
would be greatfull.

Peter the greatfull

Old 09-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I forgot a question.
I have an oncidium sanderae or sanderianum. What is the real name? Is it
sanderae or is it sanderianum. Some books and sites say one thing, and
others another.
The flowers look like the onc. papilio and kramerianum. Also got one of
those. The kramerianum isn't doing so well, so advice would be very
helpfull. Thats also why I'm interested in a flask from you Mr Fournier. The
kwality of that plant in Europe is terrible at the moment.
Cheers, ciao, tot sinds, hygge hejsa, Tshüs...
Peter
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." schreef in bericht

Old 09-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Peter,

Sounds like this store is giving everything away. Where do I have to go to
find a place like that

All the plants you listed are high light (Vanda light) plants. I grow my
Asc. curvifolium in the greenhouse with high light in a wooden basket. I
have a few chucks of cocohusk in the basket to keep the humidity up. When
it gets sufficient light the curvifolium foliage has red dots on the leaves.

The cirrhopetalum I have in a wooden basket filled with moss. I give it
less light than the vandas but more than the phals. I hang it were it will
get good air movement.

I believe the Renanthera takes the same culture as the Vandas and
Ascocendria.

With all of these high light plants are you growing outdoors or in a
greenhouse?

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

I grow inside in an appartment. I have taken to woodden racks and turnd them
into a small improvised greenhouse. Just to get the humidity up. The plants
in thtere get light from above, the east the west and the north. It's in a
veranda we have. There are 2 small computor ventilators and a small mist
machine from an indoor fontain, in it to.
Peter
"Gene Schurg" schreef in bericht
thlink.net...

Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Peter,

They used to be called Oncidium sanderianum, but have since been moved to a
new genus (along with papilio and kramerianum) - psychopsis (Sy-KOP-sis) -
and had the specific name adjusted accordingly - Psychopsis sanderae.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

.be...

Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Thanku, then I will have to change my tags.
Peter
"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" schreef in bericht

Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

How does your orchid auction work and can I also take part in it from europe
when there's a plant I would like.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Peter,

It never ceases to amaze me with what orchid people will do to have a plant
they love!

Before I had a greenhouse built I found it a major challange keeping Vanda
(and the close relatives) alive under lights or in the house. Vandas like
to have their roots blowing in the wind and lots of sun. They need the
roots misted or watered regularly but will rot if the roots are wet too
long.