Old 20-05-2003, 12:32 AM
mike miller

Default water celery invasiveness?

This plant grew out of my z5b pond and rooted itself in the ground AND
survived our harsh winter out there. ls this normal for my zone? I
would've controlled it more had I known. Now I'm going to be busy ripping
it out!

--

Michael Miller

Old 20-05-2003, 01:56 AM
John Rutz

mike miller wrote:
This plant grew out of my z5b pond and rooted itself in the ground AND
survived our harsh winter out there. ls this normal for my zone? I
would've controlled it more had I known. Now I'm going to be busy ripping
it out!

--

Michael Miller

mine does the same thing kinda makes the pond and yard blend together
naturaly tho
its not quite as bad as mint a lot more controlable
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 20-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

mike miller wrote:
This plant grew out of my z5b pond and rooted itself in the ground AND
survived our harsh winter out there. ls this normal for my zone? I
would've controlled it more had I known. Now I'm going to be busy ripping
it out!

--

Michael Miller

It has jumped the pond here also and has taken root in the
mulch. Jim said that he mows his down - I must yank it out.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 20-05-2003, 02:44 AM
jammer

On Tue, 20 May 2003 01:14:44 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

It has jumped the pond here also and has taken root in the
mulch. Jim said that he mows his down - I must yank it out.

So how do you pot yours? Mine won't grow no matter what i do.
Old 20-05-2003, 05:08 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

You know, that is a good question. I have never thought about how to make
it grow in dirt. It roots like crazy in water and goes underground by
itself! Bonnie is right, I do mow ours when it hits the lawn. If I were
going to try to send it to earth when it was not behaving, I would get good
roots in water with fertilizer and put one of the sprigs in the dirt of a
pot next to the water. That would let the parent grow undamaged while the
child sends roots.

Good luck.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 20-05-2003, 05:44 AM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
You know, that is a good question. I have never thought about how to make
it grow in dirt. It roots like crazy in water and goes underground by
itself! Bonnie is right, I do mow ours when it hits the lawn. If I were
going to try to send it to earth when it was not behaving, I would get good
roots in water with fertilizer and put one of the sprigs in the dirt of a
pot next to the water. That would let the parent grow undamaged while the
child sends roots.

Good luck.

Jim

I plant some of mine in dirt pockets in the rocks some at and some above
the water line and it does great gets wattered from the sprinklers in
the garden next to the pond some of it seems to grow beter than that in
the pond the ones that have moved into the garden itself dont grow
quite as well when it starts gettin too rambunkious I transplant it
back into the pond

Old 20-05-2003, 05:56 AM
jammer

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
You know, that is a good question. I have never thought about how to make
it grow in dirt. It roots like crazy in water and goes underground by
itself! Bonnie is right, I do mow ours when it hits the lawn. If I were
going to try to send it to earth when it was not behaving, I would get good
roots in water with fertilizer and put one of the sprigs in the dirt of a
pot next to the water. That would let the parent grow undamaged while the
child sends roots.

Good luck.

Jim

Are you saying that it would grow faster just thrown in the pond, or
maybe with the roots in one of those "baskets"? I have tried kitty
litter, rocks, and soil. The roots are everywhere! But the leaves are
few....I want leaves.
Old 20-05-2003, 06:20 AM
zookeeper

jammer wrote:

Are you saying that it would grow faster just thrown in the pond, or
maybe with the roots in one of those "baskets"? I have tried kitty
litter, rocks, and soil. The roots are everywhere! But the leaves are
few....I want leaves.

Mine grew well just anchored in a pot or pond basket with gravel / lava
rock. Within a month it had filled the basket with roots and the leaves
were spilling over all sides. The koi like to trim both the roots and
leaves. I did the same thing with watercress. This year I'm floating
watercress in a paint strainer (nylon mesh) over a tube hoop. My water
celery froze year before last -- I think that's the only reason it
didn't take over our pond and backyard.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)

Old 20-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

jammer wrote:

Are you saying that it would grow faster just thrown in the pond, or
maybe with the roots in one of those "baskets"? I have tried kitty
litter, rocks, and soil. The roots are everywhere! But the leaves are
few....I want leaves.

Are the plants in with your fish? Could be they are keeping
it trimmed. Also, I had a groundhog visiting my veggie
filter on a regular basic last year, just to trim the water
celery. It ignored the plants growing in soil and just ate
the plants in the filter. Maybe you have a critter that is
eating your leaves.

Old 20-05-2003, 02:20 PM
mad

someone told me it wouldn't grow in our texas heat and direct sun. folks, is
that true?
mad
--
Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize
you weren't asleep.

Old 20-05-2003, 03:32 PM
John Rutz

mad wrote:
someone told me it wouldn't grow in our texas heat and direct sun. folks, is
that true?
mad

--
it grows for me kinda slows in august tho when it gets realy hot but
doesnt wilt just doesnt grow as fast I know your 20o or s hotter than

Old 20-05-2003, 07:20 PM
jammer

On Tue, 20 May 2003 11:13:27 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

Are the plants in with your fish? Could be they are keeping
it trimmed. Also, I had a groundhog visiting my veggie
filter on a regular basic last year, just to trim the water
celery. It ignored the plants growing in soil and just ate
the plants in the filter. Maybe you have a critter that is
eating your leaves.

No critters eating the leaves and the fish cant get to the leaves.
(only goldfish)

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM