Old 27-05-2003, 04:56 PM
K30a

Default question on west nile

Dragonfly nymphs are great and they are even better as adults munching up
mosquitoes.
I have them in my fishless frog bog and have yet to see any mosquito larvae in
there this spring.
But I still use the Mosquito Bits in the bog along with the fishless container
'ponds'.
I fear the Mosquito Police once West Nile starts hanging around the PNW...

k30a
Old 27-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Nedra

Yes, Joe ... you are right. BT will not harm dragonflies, butterfiles
.... etc. just mosquitos.
Not scientific! So no hassles.

Nedra

"joe" wrote in message
Just Me "Koi" wrote:

Ingrid and Joann, and others. What would you say about the concept of

using
a natural predator (goldfish & gambusa) against mosquito versus

chemicals
(dunks)?
I would have expected this group to support the use of GF and like

instead
of chemicals.

I though the dunks were just BT, not chemicals. Isn't that right?

Joe

Old 27-05-2003, 06:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I though the dunks were just BT, not chemicals. Isn't that right?
Joe

Splitting hairs, everything is a chemical, consider H2O. ;o)

BT is pretty much species specific, what works on mosquito larvae does not
work on caterpillar larvae, etc. It is a bacteria that makes them sick and
die, and when they die they spread more of the bacteria to others. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 27-05-2003, 07:56 PM
joe

Steve Watson wrote:

What about dragon fly larvae? I wouldn't mind using Bti if necessary
(it's certainly a lot better than the IMO irresponsible idea of
fogging whole neighbourhoods with Malathion), but I would prefer not
to kill off the predatory insects as well (adult DF are a major
predator of mosquitoes). I didn't know that Bt strains could be
targeted by species.

I didn't know that either and don't use it for the exact same reason you
give.

Joe

Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM

Bt israeli works on mosquito and midge larvae, nothing else.
BT, the general kind and the kind that is genetically inserted into some corn and
other plants WILL KILL MONARCH caterpillars. there is scientific evidence that corn
pollen that falls on milkweed (which is numerous in/around cornfields) does kill the
caterpillars. Ingrid

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Gregory Young

West Nile is an issue you will be hearing more of this season... it's
certainly not the worst naturally occurring encephalitis we have, not by a
longshot, but it has its press following which will certainly raise people's
anxiety levels again this season!
to control it, by helping to limit the mosquito population, you can use:
1) Bt dunks, as discussed
2) fish, as discussed
3) keeping the water moving (larvae have trouble in moving water.. they can
survive, please don't misinterpret my statement, but it is harder)
4) add simple chlorine (chlorox) to your decorative fountain, etc one that
will not have fish, and one where you aren't able/willing to use the dunks
The biggest issue we have found in our state, by our epi investigations over
the last 2 seasons, is the standing water found in many people's yards,
which has turned out to be their non-cleaned out gutters (something most
don't think of unless they see trees growing in their gutters, or the water
spills over the gutter lips!).. that is a bigger issue, more so than the
tires, etc you have all read about.
Our commissioner (of health) addressed a letter to the concerned public,
informing them of the measures they could take to limit mosquito
proliferation, with gutter cleaning being near the top of the list.
Have you all checked your gutters lately?? (esp. with the wet season most
have had)
Happy ponding,
Greg

wrote in message
mosquitoes and midges. nothing else. Ingrid

(Steve Watson) wrote:

wrote in message

it isnt chemical, it is biological. Bt israeli is a bacteria

specifically for
mosquitoes, altho it knocks off midges as well. nothing else. Ingrid

What about dragon fly larvae? I

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

Holy Cow!!! I just checked the gutter that's on the north side
of the house. I have a regular vegetable garden up there!
Guess that will be on my 'to do' list tomorrow. South side
stays cleaned out by el birdos.
and Welcome Back, Greg.

Nedra

. ..

Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
Holy Cow!!! I just checked the gutter that's on the north side
of the house. I have a regular vegetable garden up there!
Guess that will be on my 'to do' list tomorrow. South side
stays cleaned out by el birdos.
and Welcome Back, Greg.

Nedra

Please be careful.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-05-2003, 09:44 PM
mad

i am in texas, but they sell mosquito dunks at feed and farm stores. i was
up in midland/odessa two weeks ago and the plant nurseries don't have them.
i went to a true value in alpine on the way home and they did have them. so
try a farm/feed store. ranchers/farmers put them in stock tanks.
mad
--
Blessed is he who can laugh at himself for he shall never
cease to be amused.

From: "Ian"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:55:05 GMT
Subject: question on west nile

Anyone in the Greater Toronto Area know who sells Mosquito dunks? So far my
searches have been in vain...

"Snooze" wrote in message
news
Suggest to your management that they purchase mosquito dunks, they are
really effective at mosquito control. You put 1 dunk in a pond, and it

lasts
a month or so. Point out to your management chain that both can be sold at
the same time to the same customer.

The GF will eat the mosquitoes that land on the water, and the mosquito
dunks will kill off any larva. As others already suggested, sell no more
then 1 gf per 20 gal of water. While they are there, you can also sell to
them aquatic plants such as water hyacinth, watercress, water lilies, etc.

Management loves the idea of upgrade or complementary selling of products.
Even the Harvard Business School types, say "blink blink".

Sameer

---Clip---

Old 29-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Nedra

Thanks for your concern, Bonnie! I still haven't
gotten up there .... I need to call my son - get him
over here to do the roof work ;-)

Nedra

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
Thanks for your concern, Bonnie! I still haven't
gotten up there .... I need to call my son - get him
over here to do the roof work ;-)

Nedra

That sounds much better. I had a picture of you
climbing a ladder - it scared me!

Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Nedra

Bonnie ... I hate to shatter any of your ideas but I love getting
up on the ladder to do work like changing the spot lights!
With the vertigo I have I should take better care than I do ;-)
Thanks for your concern though sweetie.

West Nile Virus Tom D Ponds 21 14-07-2004 05:04 PM
Mosquitos, West Nile Virus and Birds Rusty Mase Texas 2 16-05-2004 04:11 AM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM
west nile/mosquito/fish article K30a Ponds 0 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
West Nile Fears Mark Milotay Ponds 7 02-05-2003 06:44 PM