Old 26-05-2003, 01:58 PM
Lauralai

Default question on west nile

hi
I work in a pet store and people are coming in and buying feeder goldfish
for there ponds thinking that they will help with mosiqtoe larvae. I don't
know if they would help all that much but was wondering if anyone here could
tell me if they would help or not. I mean the fish wouldn't really move the
surface water much. if they don't help I would like to be able to have an
explanation as to why. tons of people are coming in and wanting tons of
fish for there ponds when they don't know what they are getting into. I
mean some wanted 50 for a fairly small pond, these people have not even put
water conditioner in the water and some don't buy food for them. I am not
allowed to say no to selling fish to them unfortunately but right now I'm
suggesting getting a few to start the pond off, like 3 -6.
thanks

Old 26-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Lauralai wrote:
hi
I work in a pet store and people are coming in and buying feeder goldfish
for there ponds thinking that they will help with mosiqtoe larvae. I don't
know if they would help all that much but was wondering if anyone here could
tell me if they would help or not. I mean the fish wouldn't really move the
surface water much. if they don't help I would like to be able to have an
explanation as to why. tons of people are coming in and wanting tons of
fish for there ponds when they don't know what they are getting into. I
mean some wanted 50 for a fairly small pond, these people have not even put
water conditioner in the water and some don't buy food for them. I am not
allowed to say no to selling fish to them unfortunately but right now I'm
suggesting getting a few to start the pond off, like 3 -6.
thanks

The reason people are buying the goldfish is not so they
move the water's surface. The goldfish eat the mosquito
larvae.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-05-2003, 04:44 PM
K30a

Suggest to the goldfish buyers to buy one fish per 20 gallons.
If you want to go further advise them to have plenty of plants to filter the
goldfish waste. In a large enough pond they do not need to feed the fish.
And then if you want to get totally fish pro-active, like we do around here,
ask they if they have a fountain and/or filter?

good luck!
k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 05:08 PM

encourage them to get only 1 GF per 20 gallons. dont you guys sell mosquito dunks?
the profit on those would be a lot higher than feeder GF!!! Ingrid

Old 26-05-2003, 05:21 PM
John Hines

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

The reason people are buying the goldfish is not so they
move the water's surface. The goldfish eat the mosquito
larvae.

They will also eat the bugs, as they come in for a landing on
the water to lay. Come dusk, there is a slurp, slurp sound at
the pond as they get picked off.

Old 26-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Snooze

Suggest to your management that they purchase mosquito dunks, they are
really effective at mosquito control. You put 1 dunk in a pond, and it lasts
a month or so. Point out to your management chain that both can be sold at
the same time to the same customer.

The GF will eat the mosquitoes that land on the water, and the mosquito
dunks will kill off any larva. As others already suggested, sell no more
then 1 gf per 20 gal of water. While they are there, you can also sell to
them aquatic plants such as water hyacinth, watercress, water lilies, etc.

Management loves the idea of upgrade or complementary selling of products.
Even the Harvard Business School types, say "blink blink".

Sameer

Old 26-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Ian

Anyone in the Greater Toronto Area know who sells Mosquito dunks? So far my
searches have been in vain...

"Snooze" wrote in message
news
Suggest to your management that they purchase mosquito dunks, they are
really effective at mosquito control. You put 1 dunk in a pond, and it
lasts
a month or so. Point out to your management chain that both can be sold at
the same time to the same customer.

The GF will eat the mosquitoes that land on the water, and the mosquito
dunks will kill off any larva. As others already suggested, sell no more
then 1 gf per 20 gal of water. While they are there, you can also sell to
them aquatic plants such as water hyacinth, watercress, water lilies, etc.

Management loves the idea of upgrade or complementary selling of products.
Even the Harvard Business School types, say "blink blink".

Sameer

---Clip---

Old 26-05-2003, 08:20 PM
K30a

With West Nile in the news soon they should
be sold everywhere.

I use Mosquito Bits, same company, in my bog and six container 'ponds'. Every
two weeks for this product.

I found it on the web and ordered it from there.
Hopefully you can find a web source in Canada.

k30a
Old 26-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Ingrid and Joann, and others. What would you say about the concept of using
a natural predator (goldfish & gambusa) against mosquito versus chemicals
(dunks)?
I would have expected this group to support the use of GF and like instead
of chemicals.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 26-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Gail Futoran

"Ian" wrote in message
ble.rogers
..com...
Anyone in the Greater Toronto Area know who sells Mosquito

dunks? So far my
searches have been in vain...

Do you have Home Depot or Lowes or
some store like those? Our HD & Lowes
carry the mosquito dunks (look like small
flat donuts) as well as local nurseries. Prices
range widely, from in excess of US$13 for
12, to as low as US$7 for 12 in a package.

Have you checked online? You might be
able to order them.

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 26-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Gail Futoran

"Lauralai" wrote in message
[...]

You got a bunch of good answers, and I'm
not adding to that. I'd like to say thank you
for coming here to ask questions and learn
more so you can give your customers good
advice. Your boss should give you a raise
for your initiative and interest!

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 27-05-2003, 07:44 AM
~ Windsong~

One fine day: Lauralai at picked up the
keyboard and pecked out:
:: hi
:: I work in a pet store and people are coming in and buying feeder
:: goldfish for there ponds thinking that they will help with mosiqtoe
:: larvae.
=========================
The fish wont get all the larvae. They're better off using Mosquito-Dunks.
With MDs there should be a 100% larvae kill and it's harmless to other water
critters such as frogs and birds looking for water. Or they can use some
kind of airstone and pump to keep the water moving and surface disturbed.
--
Carol.......
"Beat the 5 o'clock rush - leave work at noon."

Old 27-05-2003, 04:20 PM
joe

Just Me "Koi" wrote:

Ingrid and Joann, and others. What would you say about the concept of using
a natural predator (goldfish & gambusa) against mosquito versus chemicals
(dunks)?
I would have expected this group to support the use of GF and like instead
of chemicals.

I though the dunks were just BT, not chemicals. Isn't that right?

Joe

West Nile Virus Tom D Ponds 21 14-07-2004 05:04 PM
Mosquitos, West Nile Virus and Birds Rusty Mase Texas 2 16-05-2004 04:11 AM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM
west nile/mosquito/fish article K30a Ponds 0 06-05-2003 02:22 AM
West Nile Fears Mark Milotay Ponds 7 02-05-2003 06:44 PM