Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Rhino

Default new idea for pre-filter

I hae a mag-drive pump that normally has a foam prefilter that is stuck on a
plastic, slotted "spindle". During the algae bloom this spring it got so that
I was cleaning the foam at least once a day. I got to looking at using a bottle
brush to catch the bigger stuff and let the smaller stuff that was clogging the
foam go through to the veggie filter (okay, not veggie--read plant and
biofilter). While at wally world I found two .99 cent toilet brushes. I cut
the handles off and just stuck them onto the "spindle". The brushes catch the
pump-damaging stuff and the rest goes on through. Even though I have clear
water now, I'm only having to clean the brushes once a week or more.

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Rhino

On Thu, 29 May 2003 12:07:32 -0500, "D. S." wrote:

I don't suppose you have a pic to show us?

D.S.

"Rhino" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I will be getting one up pretty quick on my site
Rhino

Old 04-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Rhino

On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:45:46 -0500, Rhino wrote:

I hae a mag-drive pump that normally has a foam prefilter that is stuck on a
plastic, slotted "spindle". During the algae bloom this spring it got so that
I was cleaning the foam at least once a day. I got to looking at using a bottle
brush to catch the bigger stuff and let the smaller stuff that was clogging the
foam go through to the veggie filter (okay, not veggie--read plant and
biofilter). While at wally world I found two .99 cent toilet brushes. I cut
the handles off and just stuck them onto the "spindle". The brushes catch the
pump-damaging stuff and the rest goes on through. Even though I have clear
water now, I'm only having to clean the brushes once a week or more.

See my pond
www.htcomp.net/rhino_4_good/index.htm

"Without the second ammendment, the others are just suggestions."

Check out My home page and click on the "2002 pond pics" to see the "Toilet Bowl
Prefilter"

Old 04-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Lee Brouillet

What a GREAT idea! The "spawning" brushes used for filtration are *much*
more expensive . . . shoot, you could buy a whole bunch of these toilet bowl
cleaners and use them as filtration material in the main filter! Cool!

Lee

Old 06-06-2003, 06:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I don't know what amazes me most, the ingenuity, or the step by step
pictures. )

My question, do you think the brushes work better than say putting the pump
inside the mesh baskets? Obviously your way is easier to access. ~ jan

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Rhino

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:01:09 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

I don't know what amazes me most, the ingenuity, or the step by step
pictures. )

My question, do you think the brushes work better than say putting the pump
inside the mesh baskets? Obviously your way is easier to access. ~ jan

SNIP FOR BREVITY

The obvious answer is that is easy to get to and clean. It also allows the
pinhead to matchhead size solids to go through the pump to the bottom of my
upflow veggie filter so I can drain them off. I tried the mesh baskets like a
clamshell and found them to be inconvienient because you had to move the pump
around just to get the bottom half and had to fight around the output hose.

I built my 1500gal pond as a DIY project and I have about 200.00 in the Permalon
liner, 110.00 in the pump and the rest is scrounged from different sources. The
skimmer box is an laundry room utility tub and the veggie filter is my original
100gal pond bought as a clearance item from Wally World for 50.00. I used left
over PVC and landscape wood scaps and the rock is left over from construction
sites. The white fence work is left over demo fencing from a defunct hardware
store. All the pots I use for the lilies and such are the discards from a
nursery I'm about to use a 30gal tub from a tree we planted to make a lotus
bog. I used shower drains to make bulkhead fittings. The best part is I hired
4 -- 13 year old boys and offered them 30.00 each to dig the pond. By the time
the got finished goofing off it took them about 30hrs to finish over 3 days
during a sub-zero cold snap. All four have decided college ain't such a bad
idea compared to digging.
My DW is after me to write a DIY on the cheap Pond Manual. I have to admitt
most of my ideas are strickly from this group and all the wonderful info I've
found here. If I wrote a book it would be 75% just saying thanks and
attributing the sources for the ideas.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:32 AM
dhponder

I tried your toiletbrush filter today. Looks good so far. To Jan, as to
the clamshelled basket prefilter, my problem with that is when you clean
it, (turn off the pump and bring it to the surface) all the junk
collected falls back into the pond, as you bring it to the surface. Is
there a better way?

deanna

Old 09-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

I had the same problem with my initial small pond. It was one of the reasons
that drove me to external filters! The only way I found to get around that
was to put a dishpan under water, slide the clamshelled pump into the
dishpan, and lift it out that way. At least the drainage was controlled.
It's one way to get around it, at least!