Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Nedra

Default Topping off pond question

Hummm .. well John ... Speaking of squirts from
a bottle... I'm wondering why you don't
buy a filter instead of using chemicals? ;-)

Nedra

"John Hines" wrote in message
"claude rogers" wrote:

When you guys top off your ponds from evaporation, waterfall spillage and
"splashage" Water changes, etc.
How do you determine how much water by gallons I guess you are putting

in.

SWAG. Silly wild ass guess.

Since we only have plain clorine around here, I only worry about when
doing large (20%+) changes.

It is a squirt from a bottle, the bigger the water change, the bigger
the squirt.

Old 04-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Gail Futoran

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net
Hummm .. well John ... Speaking of squirts from
a bottle... I'm wondering why you don't
buy a filter instead of using chemicals? ;-)

Nedra

Now I'm confused. What kind of filter
removes chlorine and especially chloramines
from tap water?

I don't have a filter in (or any electricity to)
my in-ground pond (the one with the gadzillion
tadpoles). When I add water I put the hose
at the bottom, keep the water flow very low,
and squirt a SWAG of StressCoat and AmQuel
in the general vicinity of the hose. So far I
haven't killed off any pond inhabitants. ::shrug::

Gail

Old 04-06-2003, 05:32 AM
roger

I've been reading all of these responses to the question of topping up
water.

Sure a filter might be a great thing. But I use a simple an inexpensive
product
which I picked up from a local chemical company. I read about it
in a book I borrowed called "KOI HEALTH AND DISEASE" by
Dr. Erik Johnson. This is by no means an attempt to advertise a book for
a friend or relative. I read the entire book, and picked up many tips along
the way. Among them I found a way to make an inexpensive salt tester
for testing the levels of salt you've added for treating disease(s), as well
as how much salt to use for treating disease. Another thing I learned is
that the water softener from Home Depot is perfect for treating fish
disease.
Not sure what I payed for it, but the savings are amazing compared to what
you'd pay to treat using conventional salt treatment kits from local pet
stores...
The last tip I will tell you about, (yes their were more) is how to
make a batch of dechlorinator for your pond or aquarium.
I purchased a bag of sodium thiosulphate from a local chemical
supply shop. Mixed with water and voila. Easy as pie, easier
and it works great. This is the same stuff you buy in local pet
shops for a small fortune when you consider the sizes of some
of our ponds. My average mix is about the size of 2 coke cans.
This is good for 20,000 gallons. I purchased a 50 lb bag for about
$60.00 it will be around long after I'm gone. Seriously, this stuff is
mixed in such small doses it isn't funny. But honestly I won't
need to purchase another bag in my life time, even if I live another
50 years. 6,500 gallon pond.

Roger

"claude rogers" wrote in message
When you guys top off your ponds from evaporation, waterfall spillage and
"splashage" Water changes, etc.
How do you determine how much water by gallons I guess you are putting in.
Reason for asking is I always dump in some dechlor/chloramine stuff,
generally I just guestimate it, is this what everyone else does, oh, and

do
you put in it before of after you top off the pond....Claude

Old 04-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Sean Dinh

There are many ways to treat tap water. Your method is one, and it's great for
such a large pond. Anyone that has a large pond and want to follow Roger, buy a
cheap gallon of Sodium Thiosufate. It's the fixer used in processing film and
x-ray.

Some of us have much smaller pond/aquairum. We don't want to mess with chemical.
So, we prefer to filling and topping off from filtered tap water. The great
thing about this method is that the chlorine and chloramines are removed from
the water, before the water contact the fish.

One method that I sometime used is putting potassium chlorine in the pond. I
then turn on the hose to fill up. Either the Cl- for the K+ block the absorption
of chloramines. I forgot which one does that. I don't have access to my
references at the moment.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Lee Brouillet

For what it's worth, I just went through all this with my water conditioner
folks. I have one of those Kinetico filters for the house . . . they say
that you would need an activated carbon (AC) filter the size of the house,
which would only be good for a few months, to remove the chloramine for
house usage. They recommend the AC filters ONLY for drinking water, like a
separate dispenser at the kitchen or bathroom sink. And they need frequent
replacement. Nedra, your best bet is "still" the ChlorAm-X to protect the
fish. If the chloramine gets through to you, it's no big deal - it won't
hurt you. But if it gets through to the fish - and you can never tell when
the AC filter has expired - it could kill them. Those filters designed for
drinking water dispensers are only good for X number of gallons, the
expected amount of drinking water used over several months. You could put
that much - and more - in your pond during one water change.

Save your money and use the Amquel/ChlorAm-X or some other type of
conditioner for the pond. Use the AC filter for your drinking water, if it
will make you feel better.

Lee

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Thanks John ... and just yesterday I ordered ChlorAm-X .
The 5 lb box too -oh well. Meanwhile I'll look for the filter.

Nedra

Old 04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Want to keep it simple? Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or similar store . . . in
the area where they sell water hoses, nozzles, etc., they sell a water meter
(made by Melchor, I think) that attaches to the end of the hose. It meters
the water, and you will know EXACTLY how much you added. It costs about
$20.00 . . .

Lee

Old 04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Hines

"Gail Futoran" wrote:

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net
Hummm .. well John ... Speaking of squirts from
a bottle... I'm wondering why you don't
buy a filter instead of using chemicals? ;-)

Nedra

Now I'm confused. What kind of filter
removes chlorine and especially chloramines
from tap water?

Activated charcoal. I found that info on the LA water dept cloramine
faq.

Old 04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Hines

"Nedra" wrote:

Hummm .. well John ... Speaking of squirts from
a bottle... I'm wondering why you don't
buy a filter instead of using chemicals? ;-)

Sloth, pure sloth. A bottle of Amquel lasts me at least a pond season,
so it isn't a problem. And is cheaper than a cartridge.

Our water comes from Lake Michigan, via Chicago. The lake itself has
been cleaned up over the last few years, such that the BASS pro fishing
tour came to town last spring.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

Thanks a million, Lee. Actually .I figured it was
prohibitive cost-wise else the
ChlorAm-X folk would shut down.

It is interesting in John's later post that he talks about
squirting 'some' potion in his pond during a water
change so apparently he was
just gigging me on chemical use for the fun of it !! ;-)
Oh Well .... LOL!

Nedra

Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Nedra

Lee ... Thanks for the recommendation for the water meter.
On my list to pick up!

Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 PM
John Hines

"Nedra" wrote:

Thanks a million, Lee. Actually .I figured it was
prohibitive cost-wise else the
ChlorAm-X folk would shut down.

It is interesting in John's later post that he talks about
squirting 'some' potion in his pond during a water
change so apparently he was
just gigging me on chemical use for the fun of it !! ;-)

I have been keeping aquarium fish as a hobby and professionally (my
first job) my entire adult life, and have very rarely used de-clor. Only
when changing large percentages of water. Again, we have simple water
clorination here. I remember changing the water in an entire row of
freshwater tanks, right out of the tap. like 1/3 water changes.

For the pond, doing it is more about my feeling bad about NOT doing it,
rather than any dead fish.

Again, a filter cartridge will have a number of gallons of usage as it
is good for, if that meets into your budget, then use it.

My preference it to use as few chemicals as possible in keeping of the
animals (fish or fowl).

And yes, if I every get the proverbial "round toit", I'll run a water
line out to the garage, and install a filter, for the pond, which would
tap off of it.

For now, it is a hose. And an occasional squirt of amquel.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
John Hines wrote:

"Nedra" wrote:

Thanks a million, Lee. Actually .I figured it was
prohibitive cost-wise else the
ChlorAm-X folk would shut down.

It is interesting in John's later post that he talks about
squirting 'some' potion in his pond during a water
change so apparently he was
just gigging me on chemical use for the fun of it !! ;-)

I have been keeping aquarium fish as a hobby and professionally (my
first job) my entire adult life, and have very rarely used de-clor. Only
when changing large percentages of water. Again, we have simple water
clorination here. I remember changing the water in an entire row of
freshwater tanks, right out of the tap. like 1/3 water changes.

For the pond, doing it is more about my feeling bad about NOT doing it,
rather than any dead fish.

Koi, more than most, HATE chlorine.

Again, a filter cartridge will have a number of gallons of usage as it
is good for, if that meets into your budget, then use it.

Usually only around 400 gal, a drop in pond for many ponds.

jay
Wed, Jun 4, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."

Topping off the pond Me Ponds (moderated) 36 10-03-2011 07:28 PM
Topping off pond Newbie Bill Ponds 4 21-12-2004 06:48 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 9 21-09-2004 11:30 AM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM
Topping off water or auto fill valve? RedForeman ©® Ponds 0 16-09-2004 09:10 PM