Old 18-06-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

Default Pond Plants for postage!

Washington
Anacharis
Cabomba
Floating Heart (aka "Frog Bit")
Parrot's Feather

That's interesting re Frog Bit. It dies back here and never comes back, zone
7a. Maybe for all the zone 8-ers on the coast. Was being sold here last year
for $3 a little plant!!! Guess our nursery wasn't paying attention.

k30a
Old 18-06-2003, 04:44 AM
GD

The list provided at that side is not all-inclusive of aquatic plants
restricted in each state. In Texas, for instance, add to Salvinia
(all species), water hyacinth, and water lettuce: hydrilla, Eurasian
watermilfoil, giant duckweed, African elodea, alligatorweed, rooted
water hyacinth, paperbark, torpedograss, and water spinach.

Restriction may be defined differently dependent upon state. In
Texas, for instance, the following applies:

"The State of Texas doesn't just frown on the possesion of harmful or
potentially harmful exotic plants. It is illegal to posses these
plants in Texas. Possession of any prohibited plant species is a Class
B Parks and Wildlife Code Misdemeanor punishable by

a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2000,
a jail term not to exceed 180 days, or
both a fine AND imprisonment.

Each individual plant of a prohibited species constitutes a separate
violation. The law applies to everyone: aquatic plant producers and
distributors, garden centers, pond supply stores, pet stores, and
individual pondkeepers. So if Joe Ponder is caught with 10 water
hyacinth in his backyard pond, that would be 10 separate violations,
with potential fines totalling $20,000."

Do a web search to find out what is allowed or not in your state, and
what potential penalties might be. I suggest a search using the
keywords: YOURSTATE restricted (or prohibited) aquatic plants

Keep in mind that some plants, such as giant salvinia (Salvinia
molesta) are federally restricted---even if your state does not
prohibit the species, it is still illegal to transport across any
state lines.

joe wrote:

jammer wrote:

California
Iris - Blue Flag
Mexicana (Hardy Water Lily)
Salvinia
Water Hyacinth
Water Lettuce

So, when you say restricted, what does that mean? They sell WH & WL at any
pond nursery I've been at here in San Diego.

Joe

Old 18-06-2003, 04:56 AM
jammer

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 03:40:43 GMT, GD wrote:

The list provided at that side is not all-inclusive of aquatic plants

Yes, i am quite sure it isn't, but WH was the plant she was concerned
about and so i posted that particular list.
Old 18-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Jerrispond

That's interesting re Frog Bit. It dies back here and never comes back, zone
7a. Maybe for all the zone 8-ers on the coast. Was being sold here last year
for $3 a little plant!!

It dies back here also, but comes back strong every year. It sinks to the
bottom of the pond and then floats up in spring....Maybe your pond bottom is
too clean ....Mine does not come back in the koi pond, only the lily pond....I
think the koi eat it.....I am in zone 7 Jerri

Old 18-06-2003, 05:56 PM
LRobi31070

Thanks!

Old 23-06-2003, 06:46 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Washington
Anacharis
Cabomba
Floating Heart (aka "Frog Bit")
Parrot's Feather

That's interesting re Frog Bit. It dies back here and never comes back, zone
7a. Maybe for all the zone 8-ers on the coast. Was being sold here last year
for $3 a little plant!!! Guess our nursery wasn't paying attention.
k30a

Another reason for Eastern Washington to secede from being part of Western
Washington, so we can have our OWN list (or none at all). ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-06-2003, 10:08 PM
LRobi31070

I sent the plants today, so let me know everyone if they lived! You should
have seen me trying to get them in something that wouldnt leak. It took 3
hours to get everything done! LOL! Good luck!
Old 24-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Jerrispond

You should
have seen me trying to get them in something that wouldnt leak. It took 3
hours to get everything done!

Next time use no water, and zip lock bags. they will go really well.....Jerri