Old 06-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Koi by Kierin

Gregory Young wrote:
Hi Bonnie:
Carl has really great Koi doesn't he?
I spent some time with him last year when we did wetlab work. I also stood
behind a guy checking out that arrived in a Caddy, bought 3 large Koi, and
wrote out a check for $4800. He turned and looked at me (I think my mouth
had dropped open a bit), and said "I would have felt the same as you do now,
thinking a guy spending that kind of money was nuts, one year ago but now I
know his fish are worth every $$". Too rich for my taste, but doubtless some
of the most beautiful Koi I have seen (one was grand champ in Japan 2 years
earlier)
He got hit with KHV last season and had to completely sterilize everything.
I was afraid he would fold, but he didn't!
He does things the right way.
I don't know if you saw his isolation tank, if you did you know it's huge
(if not I can tell you it fills a whole room).
He employs a marine biologist full time who runs the isolation system. I
spent some time with him, and shared some war stories from my former marine
days.. nice kid, and really bright.
I wanted to go down and help Carl out with the wet lab they are having there
this weekend (MAKC), but work won't permit.
I do want to get their to get some good Koi. (for me that's $150 - 200 range
maximum, the little 3 - 4 inchers, with excellent bloodlines). Like a smart
gambler I have my limit on what I'll spend. The nice thing about the line of
Koi he carries is that they grow out true (color, shape, etc) assuming good
water conditions and quality feed. It's more enjoyable to get then young and
grown them to full potential anyway..
I am planning to stop there on the way back home from the Koi America show
this August. Are you going to make the Koi America show in Chantilly Va??
Later,
Greg

I was openly eaves dropping while Karl was talking with the
purchaser of the fish. I told him I wanted to hear the
differences he was pointing out. After the gentleman left I
asked Karl for a few minutes of his time to show me the
isolation tank. And yes, it does fill a good size room.
The fish in isolation arrived last week and still had three
weeks in that tank before they would be available for
delivery. You could reserve the fish, but not receive them
until isolation was complete. Everyone was getting ready
for this weekend but were willing to help in any way possible.
I'm not sure if I'll be attending the Chantilly Show. It is
very tempting, time will tell.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 18-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Pinkpggy

Bonnie wrote I just returned from seeing my first quality koi. WOW,

I've only seen them in magazines but you can get
a serious case of koi envy. Can you IMAGINE a heron spearing a $12,000 koi?
Wonder how the folks with the really expensive koi keep them?

k30a

We went to the Koi show here last year and some of them were incredible to

look at. They had a drawing for a 6 inch Koi that was valued at $500. We
didn't even enter the contest. I was afraid if we put a fish worth that much
in the pond, for sure something would get it.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html