Old 05-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default Koi by Kierin

I just returned from seeing my first quality koi. WOW,
there were some really beautiful fish just in from Japan.
And what beauties! He also had some 2 year old Koi raised
in mud ponds, they were huge and expensive. The one was
already sold and in a holding tank only $12,000. I was
there to pick up a new test kit and the guy that followed me
spent $2800 on fish. I guess you could call me a big spender;-)
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 05-06-2003, 06:56 PM
K30a

Bonnie wrote I just returned from seeing my first quality koi. WOW,

I've only seen them in magazines but you can get
a serious case of koi envy. Can you IMAGINE a heron spearing a $12,000 koi?
Wonder how the folks with the really expensive koi keep them?

k30a
Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Heather

Can you IMAGINE a heron spearing a $12,000 koi?

Must by why I love my 32 cent feeder fish.

Old 05-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Bonnie, they're one of the "names" in quality imported koi. I've only seen
the "4-and-5-figure-BEFORE-the-decimal-point" koi at shows: they're truly
remarkable. Now when folks rant and rave about the Japanese quality imports
versus the domestic "home growns", you'll know what they mean. A "tosai"
(2nd year koi) for $12,000 should have been pretty impressive. But if you
really want "sticker shock", that's not a bad price: there are many that are
far more expensive. The fish must have gone to a serious collector. The
first time I spend $85 for a little import, I freaked. Then I spent $250 for
a domestic butterfly that tripped my trigger. Then I spent $400 on a
Japanese imported Shiru Utsuri fresh out of quarantine from the fall harvest
(my Christmas present to myself G). To me, these are *EXPENSIVE* fish, so
you can understand why I get a bit neurotic about their care. But in the
world of koi, they're chump change (sigh). If *only* I could win the Lottery
.. . .

Lee

Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
[...]

*laugh*

And I get ****ed when my $2 pl*co dies.

BV.

Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Sean Dinh

Since these rich folks don't put plants in their pond, they have partial cover
built above the pond.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Lee Brouillet wrote:
[...]
. . .

Lee

The most I have paid for a fish is $18. Then I quit buying.
I have since been educated more or less by the magazine Koi
USA. I have often seen Koi by Kierin advertised and have
visited their web site. I knew they weren't far away, at
least phyiscally, but they sure are money wise. Their fish
start at $50. Of course, as I entered I went to the $$$$$
fish first and worked my way around to the less impressive
but still very nice fish.
If I ever do win the lottery I'll certainly shop at Kierin,
after I construct a new pond!

Old 05-06-2003, 11:56 PM
*muffin*

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
Can you IMAGINE a heron spearing a $12,000 koi?

Must by why I love my 32 cent feeder fish.

now that's expensive,,,,,,,,, : )
mine were only 8 cents each.......

(my daughter got one with her aquarium fish 3 months ago,, grew from 1/2 in,
to 4 in,,, will be hitting the pond soon.)

Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Gregory Young

Hi Bonnie:
Carl has really great Koi doesn't he?
I spent some time with him last year when we did wetlab work. I also stood
behind a guy checking out that arrived in a Caddy, bought 3 large Koi, and
wrote out a check for $4800. He turned and looked at me (I think my mouth
had dropped open a bit), and said "I would have felt the same as you do now,
thinking a guy spending that kind of money was nuts, one year ago but now I
know his fish are worth every $$". Too rich for my taste, but doubtless some
of the most beautiful Koi I have seen (one was grand champ in Japan 2 years
earlier)
He got hit with KHV last season and had to completely sterilize everything.
I was afraid he would fold, but he didn't!
He does things the right way.
I don't know if you saw his isolation tank, if you did you know it's huge
(if not I can tell you it fills a whole room).
He employs a marine biologist full time who runs the isolation system. I
spent some time with him, and shared some war stories from my former marine
days.. nice kid, and really bright.
I wanted to go down and help Carl out with the wet lab they are having there
this weekend (MAKC), but work won't permit.
I do want to get their to get some good Koi. (for me that's $150 - 200 range
maximum, the little 3 - 4 inchers, with excellent bloodlines). Like a smart
gambler I have my limit on what I'll spend. The nice thing about the line of
Koi he carries is that they grow out true (color, shape, etc) assuming good
water conditions and quality feed. It's more enjoyable to get then young and
grown them to full potential anyway..
I am planning to stop there on the way back home from the Koi America show
this August. Are you going to make the Koi America show in Chantilly Va??
Later,
Greg

Old 06-06-2003, 01:08 AM
PaulWoz

I'm curious, Does anyone know the record price for a single koi?

Paul

Old 06-06-2003, 01:20 AM
K30a

Paul wrote I'm curious, Does anyone know the record price for a single
koi?

Found this web page and answer ~
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/fre...ions_about.htm

*Q.*** What do koi cost?* A: Small pond-quality koi can sell for less than $5.
Small show-quality koi* sell for $25 and up. Large high quality show koi and
major koi show champions are valued at as much as $25,000-$250,000 for show or
breeding purposes. $850,000 is the current record price paid for a koi. On
average the majority of koi sell for* $10-$50.

$850,000 - glrg!

k30a
Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

Been there, done that, and then figured out how to kill most of the $50 to
$75 fish in the first month. Learned a lot of veterinary medicine that
summer. Now the prices paid have gone up and the quality of the fish have
improved, but that first $75 fish was a real case of sticker shock.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Lee Brouillet wrote:

[...]

$$$$$
fish first and worked my way around to the less impressive but still
very nice fish.
If I ever do win the lottery I'll certainly shop at Kierin,
after I construct a new pond!

--

I know what it feels like to have a couple 30.00 Koi float I can just
imagine comming out and seeing one of those $$$$$$$$$ Koi floating on

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 06-06-2003, 02:08 AM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
Paul wrote I'm curious, Does anyone know the record price for a single
koi?

Found this web page and answer ~
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/fre...ions_about.htm

Q. What do koi cost? A: Small pond-quality koi can sell for less than $5.
Small show-quality koi sell for $25 and up. Large high quality show koi and
major koi show champions are valued at as much as $25,000-$250,000 for show or
breeding purposes. $850,000 is the current record price paid for a koi. On
average the majority of koi sell for $10-$50.

$850,000 - glrg!

k30a

--
I had seen the under 50 thou prices but 850 thou OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2003, 02:56 AM
John Hines

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

in mud ponds, they were huge and expensive. The one was
already sold and in a holding tank only $12,000. I was
there to pick up a new test kit and the guy that followed me
spent $2800 on fish. I guess you could call me a big spender;-)

The late Freddy Mercury (of the rock band Queen) had an extensive koi
collection. These fish where being cared for by his estate.

While the pond was down, and the fish where in a temporary holding tank,
one of the workers needing an outlet, unplugged the filter.

Something like usd $1.8 Million in koi where wiped out, average $30,000
per koi. (of course, the numbers were in pounds, I remember the
translated value).

Ouch.