Old 05-06-2003, 08:20 PM
MC

Default Koi Still Flashing

I treated for Flukes several times, but it didn't seem to help. They
are still flashing and jumping a little. The water has warmed up
which should help their immune system, but it has also increased the
frequency of the flashing. Since they have had it for at least a
month, I am hoping it is not going to kill them. Hopefully they won't
jump out of the pond! I keep checking the water and everything looks
good with water quality.

(MC) wrote in message . com...
UPDATE: Well, 6 days later the fish aren't flashing. I'm afraid it is
more to do with water temp than being cured. The water is about 55
now. Last week it was in the lower 60s. All are alive. It is warming
up here so that should help the Koi. I tested the water yesterday and
all looks good.

To compound things, now I have a leak. Found a large branch in my
small pond after a storm. I can't find the leak. Used the milk test
with no luck. The leak is in the top 2 inches of the liner. After
about 24 hours, it drains down about 2 inches. Put drops of milk near
the edge to watch for it to go to leak, but didn't see anything.

wrote in message ...
check the pH of the water, check for ammonia and nitrites. the major reason for
flashing after a good rain storm is problems with water quality. rain is almost
always acidic.

what is the temp of the pond water? in spring when water temp is 50-65 the parasites
are coming online. bring salt level only up to 0.1% or 0.9lbs per 100 gallons. feed
antibiotic food like romet B and treat once with a formalin/formaldehyde pond
treatment (like desafin). the idea is to knock the parasite load down, to ward off
aeromonas with antibiotics and the salt stimulates the slime coat to help deal with
parasites.

How is aeration in the pond?

one other thing. bird crap is really bad in the pond. and lots of other critters
also bring in disease. not to mention ... new fish. do not put new fish right into
the pond.

watch the fish very carefully, pick one and look for bruises, red patches, lost
scales, etc. dots or whatever...
http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...htm#diagnostic techniques
has a list of behaviors for GF... they apply to koi as well. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
I know this is a sign of parasites. How do you treat? I read sites
that tell you you need ot do a gill scrape, look at it under a
microscope to determine the type, etc before treating. Let's get real,
I don't have a microscope and can't visibly see anything on the fish.
What should I do?

White spots and flashing. Help please. Bindi Ponds (moderated) 7 06-05-2007 03:29 AM
Koi Flashing This late in season MC Ponds 4 23-11-2004 01:00 AM
Flashing lights martin United Kingdom 4 11-01-2004 10:32 AM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM
Koi Flashing, Jumping MC Ponds 27 22-05-2003 07:44 AM