Old 11-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

Default Is this a pond newsgroup...?

Ohhh... Brag, Brag, Brag ;-)

Nedra

"Bob Adkins" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:59:04 -0500, mad wrote:

i have goldfish in _my_ recreational pond. what do _you_ mean by a
recreational pond?

Something to make a lot of fun happen. Fishing, swimming, picnicing,

paddle
boating, and just watching mother wood ducks with their cute fluffy babies
in tow. maybe just watching the sun set over the water. Stuff like that.
These projects rarely turn out just like you envision. The pain may

outweigh
the fun.

Bob

Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Bob Adkins

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:04:53 GMT, "Nedra" wrote:

Ohhh... Brag, Brag, Brag ;-)

I see it more as a failure than bragging.

My wife and I have wanted one for 30 years, and I'm just now getting it
done. I have felt like a failure for all these years.

Bob
Old 13-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Bob Adkins

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:41:32 -0400, "Bob"
wrote:

I don't know if you already said it, but I assume your not going to use a
plastic/rubber liner in your pond?

Correct. No liner.

Bob

Old 13-06-2003, 05:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

John mentioned those of us with small ponds just post more often.....

Probably because we have more time, mowing here takes an hour with a walk
behind mulcher. ;o)

Those little ponds are sounding better all the time. :-) Bob

Yup, but we still suffer the same concerns, time, money, and liabilities.

Bob also said: Hey, look...I'm not rich or snooty.

Of course not, you're building a pond, a money pit, regardless of size. ;o)
Unless you're like me and divide up your plants and sell them (rather than
give them away like the "rich" folks can ;o)) so the pond might break even
on purchases of more plants, scarecrow sprinklers, specialty koi or
goldfish food not to mention garden art to please the pond goddess.......
and the list could go on and on for days, weeks, months.

Bob, if we're lucky and really good at what we do, you'll soon have one of
these "smaller" ponds where you'll learn, "fish are our friends, we don't
eat our friends..... unless the fish counter has already sliced, filleted
and de-boned them for us." ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:48:58 -0700
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

the pond might break even
on purchases of more plants, scarecrow sprinklers, specialty koi or
goldfish food not to mention garden art to please the pond
goddess.......

I must be in severe disfavor then, for I distain garden art.
I try pleasing the Goddesses by mimicing nature around my ponds to the
best of my ability.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
Old 14-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Bob Adkins

I must be in severe disfavor then, for I distain garden art.
I try pleasing the Goddesses by mimicing nature around my ponds to the
best of my ability.

I wanted to mimic a natural pond on totally flat ground. I had 2 choices:
Buffalo wallow (no buffalo in Louisiana), and a meteorite hit. (they won't
allow me to use dynamite). I'll have to settle for a man-made hole, but I'll
keep everything as natural as possible. There are no rocks in Louisiana, so
I'm afraid my pond will be boring.

Bob
Old 14-06-2003, 01:44 PM
MLF

"Bob Adkins" wrote:
I wanted to mimic a natural pond on totally flat ground. I had 2 choices:
Buffalo wallow (no buffalo in Louisiana), and a meteorite hit. (they won't
allow me to use dynamite). I'll have to settle for a man-made hole, but

I'll
keep everything as natural as possible. There are no rocks in Louisiana,

so
I'm afraid my pond will be boring.

I'm in Louisiana too. I have a brick pond surrounded by a brick patio (not
the concrete "pavers" available at home improvement stores, real brick). The
sides are about a foot above ground level. I think it looks fine and more
attractive than a hole in the ground. I can't take credit or it, however.
It's been here for at least 60 years.

OTOH, the lack of rocks here is a BIG plus when digging a pond. I had a
friend in Connecticut that finally gave up digging one. They have no dirt
there, just rocks.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 14-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John Rutz

Bob Adkins wrote:
I must be in severe disfavor then, for I distain garden art.
I try pleasing the Goddesses by mimicing nature around my ponds to the
best of my ability.

I wanted to mimic a natural pond on totally flat ground. I had 2 choices:
Buffalo wallow (no buffalo in Louisiana), and a meteorite hit. (they won't
allow me to use dynamite). I'll have to settle for a man-made hole, but I'll
keep everything as natural as possible. There are no rocks in Louisiana, so
I'm afraid my pond will be boring.

Bob

--
bob

I have thesame problem with no rock and flat ground in NM you might
take a peek at my pond pics for some ideas on how th make it look like
it belongs although I gotta admit yu have plenty of example there in
Louisiana btw just out of curiosity where are you

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 14-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Sue Alexandre

" friend in Connecticut that finally gave up digging one. They have no dirt
there, just rocks.
Michael Fermanis

BOY, can I second THAT! If you could hear the language and the ranting
that comes out of my mouth whenever I'm digging in or near my ponds, you'd
think I was a sailor! EVERY shovelful, without exception, finds me
hitting either rock or root. I can't even imagine what it would be like to
actually "dig" for three or four shovelfuls without having to stop to loosen
and remove a rock in between. I guess the labor in digging my ponds makes
me love them that much more. Will I ever do it again? Of course, silly!
Sue

Old 14-06-2003, 05:32 PM
MLF

"Sue Alexandre" wrote:
BOY, can I second THAT! If you could hear the language and the ranting
that comes out of my mouth whenever I'm digging in or near my ponds, you'd
think I was a sailor!...Will I ever do it again? Of course, silly!
Sue

I can commiserate. I lived in CT for years and even the smallest excavation
required heavy equipment. Shovels were sold merely to fool the tourists.

If it weren't for the Mississippi River, there would be no Louisiana. The
entire southern part is delta, and the only dirt is that washed down and
deposited as silt. There are no (and I mean NO) rocks of any sort or size.
You could dig a hole to China if you wanted.

OTOH, the elevation of southern Louisiana is barely above sea level, and New
Orleans is mostly below. So we have dozens of canals that collect the water
and huge pumping stations that put it in Lake Pontchartrain or the river. As
you might expect, the water table is about 3 feet below ground level so
digging a hole (even a relatively shallow one) quickly results in a hole
full of water. So you'd have to wear scuba gear if you wanted to dig to
China.

Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Sue Alexandre

So where is it that all of us ponders should move to where we can find a
happy medium?????? (thoughts of retiring in 10 or 15 years and doing
nothing but ponding all day dances through my head). Oh, and that brings
up another prerequisite..... I want to pond 12 months out of the year!
Sue

Old 14-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Bob Adkins

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:38:05 -0500, "MLF" wrote:

OTOH, the lack of rocks here is a BIG plus when digging a pond. I had a
friend in Connecticut that finally gave up digging one. They have no dirt
there, just rocks.

Yea, I've heard about the misshapen potatoes grown in New England. :-)

Coincidentally, I'm about to build a brick patio. I'm not looking forward to
it. I may wait for the first cool snap this Sept-Oct. :-)

Bob