Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
K30a

Default Is this a pond newsgroup...?

Goldfish are not recreational fish.
Recreational fish are meant to be caught and
eaten.
I ain't eaten no goldfish!
;-)

k30a
Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Bob Adkins

My guess would be for boating, swimming and fishing.

We thought of a floating pier attached to our back porch, a small party
slash BBQ raft with a top that can be taken down in windy weather. We also
thought of paddle boats for the kids. We may set one corner aside for
swimming, and dump a load of sand and pea gravel for comfy feet.

Bob
Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Bob Adkins

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:59:04 -0500, mad wrote:

i have goldfish in _my_ recreational pond. what do _you_ mean by a
recreational pond?

Something to make a lot of fun happen. Fishing, swimming, picnicing, paddle
boating, and just watching mother wood ducks with their cute fluffy babies
in tow. maybe just watching the sun set over the water. Stuff like that.
These projects rarely turn out just like you envision. The pain may outweigh
the fun.

Bob
Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
mad

i'm glad to understand this. i ain't eatin' no goldfish, either. however, i
consider watching my pond as recreation, as it calms and soothes me which
'recreates' my peaceful frame of mind.
different strokes etc...
mad
--
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse
gets the cheese."

Old 10-06-2003, 11:08 PM
K30a

I think we have garden ponds, or
koi ponds, or water gardens or fish ponds or
ornamental ponds or @#$*(& ponds
depending on the level of free floating
algae in them.

(okay I'm bored)
A pond by any other name would...
still be as wet
still attract herons
still turn kelly green in spring
still cost twice as many $$ as you planned
will have you straining clay for heaven's sake!
will worry the neighbors about hordes of mosquitoes
will still attract overweight beagles to fall in them

okay kids are home!
k30a
Old 11-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

Bob Adkins wrote:
My guess would be for boating, swimming and fishing.

We thought of a floating pier attached to our back porch, a small party
slash BBQ raft with a top that can be taken down in windy weather. We also
thought of paddle boats for the kids. We may set one corner aside for
swimming, and dump a load of sand and pea gravel for comfy feet.

Bob

Do you plan guest quarters?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 11-06-2003, 01:08 AM
joe

Bob Adkins wrote:

We thought of a floating pier attached to our back porch, a small party
slash BBQ raft with a top that can be taken down in windy weather. We also
thought of paddle boats for the kids. We may set one corner aside for
swimming, and dump a load of sand and pea gravel for comfy feet.

Think "swim up bar."

Joe

Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 AM
GrampysGurl

After reading nearly every post, I am embarrassed to find that my post seems
to be the only one about a recreational pond.

Bob

There is so much to ponding, some of us take a more casual approach where
others get into the chemical balances and botany of it, many of us are
inbetween ) Some like their fish more then others, some even breed them while
others are happy to watch their 10 cent feeder fish grow into big beauties.
Colleen

Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 AM
GrampysGurl

What is a recreational pond?

BV.

One you and your whole family can play in and on!!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 AM
GrampysGurl

. (Our beagle tried that before she fell through
the ice... very noisy a cold swimming beagle.)

My beagle Jack Russell wont stay out of the pond, and she doesn't care how cold
it is lol.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 AM
GrampysGurl

Not something I'm gonna be able to do on a lot in the 'burbs.

I keep telling DH I am just tossing fish and plants in the pool and being done
with it.... The pool is a pain in the arse but the ponds are easy IMO.
Colleen
Old 11-06-2003, 11:44 AM
GrampysGurl

I swear there is nothing worse then pond envy, I am trying to squeak out enough
room for a 3000 gallon pond and some of you can swim in yours.... WAH!!!
Colleen
Old 11-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Bob Adkins

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:43:10 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

Do you plan guest quarters?

Why yes. You and your SO are invited for a weekend...when we finish building
it.

Hey, look...I'm not rich or snooty. Quite the opposite, in fact. I bought 10
acres of scrub land for cheap and cleared it myself. I thought I was going
to die working out in the 100* heat clearing the trees and shrubs.

I'm building a pond because it has been a lifelong dream of me and my wife.
We are going to build a small, rustic 4 room camp with a back porch over the
water. We will build it ourselves and save 25K on labor.

I bet there are koi ponds that cost more than my land, future pond, and
camp.

Bob