Old 14-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Bob Adkins

Default Is this a pond newsgroup...?

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:19:46 -0600, John Rutz
wrote:

bob

I have thesame problem with no rock and flat ground in NM you might
take a peek at my pond pics for some ideas on how th make it look like
it belongs although I gotta admit yu have plenty of example there in
Louisiana btw just out of curiosity where are you

Hi John.

I'm in Eunice, Louisiana, right dead in the heart of Cajun Country. It's
flat as a pancake here, and no swamps, rivers, or creeks, and only a few
small bayous. I cleared out ~7 acres of chicken trees, and am already
started on my 1.7 acre pond. I'm at 1' and holding, and have 18" levee's
completed. We've been semi-arid here for 5-6 years. Now that I'm digging,
the rain won't stop. :-(

I like your trickle tower, and it looks like a lot more than a trickle!

I have plans for all runoff water entering my pond to be directed through a
huge gravel filter bed, which will be beneath my levee. I also have plans
for a 75-150 watt solar panel to run a 12 volt pump to keep the pond
oxygenated and also reduce turbidity. It's going to be fun to see how it
develops. THere are going to be some surprises, I'm sure!

Bob
Old 15-06-2003, 01:32 AM
K30a

20 soccer ball sized boulders out of the
10 inch deep frog bog. And all rocks are not that pretty as one side is covered
with white clay.
From the flood 10,000 odd years ago when Montana's sea drained out through us.

k30a
Old 15-06-2003, 02:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:37:47 -0700, "Bob H"
wrote:

I hear you there.....Here in Spokane Wa. I don't call it digging, I call it
rock farming :-)

In the Tri-Cities, also in Wa, folks can have everything from pure sand to
sand with rocks, rocks with sand or clay w & w/o rocks that is cement hard
when dry and pudding when wet. If we were ever looking at another house in
the area, I'd carry a shovel. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-06-2003, 08:20 PM
*muffin*

Coincidentally, I'm about to build a brick patio. I'm not looking forward

it. I may wait for the first cool snap this Sept-Oct. :-)

Bob

: )

we finally are putting in our brick walkway ( we used www.unilock.com
pavers)
My hubby wanted to do this for 18 yrs!! he got really tired of working on
the pond,, soooo I just ordered the pavers, etc & we have been spending the
past few weeks ( heck, its RAINED a lot here) putting them in.
figured he couldn't 'bitch' too much about my $$$ spent on my pond..
but,, while this is going on,, my pond waits for the final touches,, like
him burying the plumbing stuff, hoses to the filters & waterfall , etc,,,so
I can finish planting.......
we have been sooooo lucky ,, in ONE way,, that HOT weather has not hit yet.

Old 15-06-2003, 09:32 PM
K30a

muffin wrote My hubby wanted to do this for 18 yrs!!

chortle, you have us beat. Our walkway has been
planned for 12 years!! DH says *this* summer!

k30a

Old 15-06-2003, 11:20 PM
mad

a fortune teller's establishment?
sorry...couldn't resist :-D
mad
--
People that hate cats will come back as mice
in their next life.

From: "Sue Alexandre"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:40:17 -0400
Subject: Is this a pond newsgroup...?

So where is it that all of us ponders should move to where we can find a
happy medium??????

Old 16-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
muffin wrote My hubby wanted to do this for 18 yrs!!

chortle, you have us beat. Our walkway has been
planned for 12 years!! DH says *this* summer!

k30a

Chuckle, chuckle, mine says the same thing ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 16-06-2003, 01:56 AM
*muffin*

I finally got tired of it,,
sooo called the lumber yard & ordered it!

it really wasn't so bad laying it all. we already had a gravel base under
it.. it was just getting the lines level & we OWN one of those ground
compactor thingys,, which is a MUST when putting in a brick/paver
walk/patio.
the hardest part was figuring out how to go around a curve without using the
correct shaped pavers!

(ok posted pics on webpage ,, look under walkway & walkway2...)
http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

Old 16-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Bob Adkins

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:31:40 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

(ok posted pics on webpage ,, look under walkway & walkway2...)
http://community.webshots.com/album/74707665onrGAN

I wouldn't dare show my wife the beautiful walkway. She would surely want
one, and I would be the one chosen to build it.

Bob

Old 16-06-2003, 04:20 AM
*muffin*

lol,,
thanks.

it sure is going to be better than walking in mud & water up to the door!
(less muddy dog feet also)

my hubby would have been very happy with just ONE size brick in a boring
pattern , ,but I wanted something 'interesting', that is the hard part,
following the pattern!
we just kept putting other projects in the way... ( like the barn in the
background of that picture... 60X120 indoor arena & 10+ stalls & other rooms
added on,, took 2 years for my hubby & son in-law to build.) I just PUSHED
this year,, finally got my kitchen cupboards finished & my pond IN!! ( we
built our house 15 yrs ago,, & guess got burned out)

now to keep this ON TOPIC... my path in & around the pond is mostly flat
rock & found in the river,, which as soon as the water level goes down
again,,, I'll be looking for more to finish it.

Muffin I'll post finish pics of walk after!

Old 17-06-2003, 12:12 AM
mad

LOL glad you liked it :-D
mad
--
I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.