Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Bryan

Default "borrowing" plants from the side of the rd.

Ok, so we decided to fly from OK to FL (Tampa to Ft Myers) and have seen
some plants growing alongside the roads in what looks like run off areas. Is
it possible to grab these lillies etc and USPS them home?

Thanks

Old 19-06-2003, 04:56 AM
GD

I am not sure of Florida law, but I would guess you may be stepping
over a legal line, at least for some species.

A bigger issue may be accidental transport of exotic species, for
which you may be held accountable both federally and by the states
through which you transport them. Florida is especially heavily
infested with exotics, so plants from that state are highly likely to
be contaminated with nasty propagules. More than one lake has died
(from an ecological standpoint) due to invasion by exotic species.
Introduction of exotics and subsequent consequences are rarely done
purposefully anymore, but it still happens. I suggest you take
pictures and try to find similar cultured plants at nurseries. It's
less costly for all in the long run.

(An aside: aquatic plant nurseries are a common source of accidental
exotic introductions---be aware you may be receiving illegal plants
along with the intended purchase).

Old 19-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Hank Pagel

The link below may give you some info on some of the reasons not to
take plants (wild) out of Florida. But I know what you mean ........ I
have been tempted myself.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/~pi/index.html

Old 23-06-2003, 09:32 PM
volts500

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok, so we decided to fly from OK to FL (Tampa to Ft Myers) and have seen
some plants growing alongside the roads in what looks like run off areas.

Is
it possible to grab these lillies etc and USPS them home?

Thanks

BIG no-no to remove plants from public property in FL.......written
permission from the owner is needed to remove plants from private property.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:08 PM
K30a

And wild plants bring in leeches, diseased snails, biting nasty insect larva.
And in Florida, heavens ~ the exotic species galore (!!!).
k30a

Old 23-06-2003, 10:20 PM
jammer

"Bryan" wrote in message
Ok, so we decided to fly from OK to FL (Tampa to Ft Myers) and have seen
some plants growing alongside the roads in what looks like run off areas.

Is
it possible to grab these lillies etc and USPS them home?

Thanks

I wrapped some in california and brought them home in my suitcase in
large ziplocks with wet paper towels in the bottom of the bag. They
did and always do fine.

"Dendrobium nitidum" - the other side of the taxonomic argument Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 9 14-09-2007 03:44 PM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
"attaching" plants to side of pond k conover Ponds 17 13-08-2004 06:23 AM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM