Old 13-07-2004, 06:03 PM
k conover

Default "attaching" plants to side of pond

I have a pond with very narrow shelves that seem to slant down towards the
pond, so I have a very hard time keeping plants on the shelf (I've kept a
few there by putting a heavy rock in the pot on the higher part of the shelf
next to the pond wall). I've now got a couple of larger plants I want to
put in that I don't think the rock trick will be enough. I'm even
considered tying rope around the plant and attaching the ends under the rock
on the sides of the pond or maybe over the sides and into the ground.
I'm sure all you smart ponders out there probably have a more ingenious
method--I hope?
Thanks,
Kirsten

Old 14-07-2004, 01:03 PM
*muffin*

well all I can say is **DUHHH**
how ingenious!

"Jim" wrote in message
I'm even considered tying rope around the plant and
attaching the ends under the rock on the sides of
the pond or maybe over the sides and into the ground.

I have several large mesh plant baskets I've hung from the sides of
the pond using large/long cable ties and 8 inch spikes. The spikes
are in the soil surrounding the pond and under some second-level
border rocks. They've held for several years.....

Here's a link to an older pic of one of these baskets.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52148644efWHrx

Hope this helps.

Jim
Zone 8a - Dallas, Texas
Pond, Veggie Filter, Pond Maintenance & Pond Tour Pics:
http://community.webshots.com/user/dallas75248

Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Pinkpggy

I have bought black, plastic, milk crates to put some plants in our pond where
there is no shelves. Depending on how deep your pond is, you may have to put
flat rocks on the top of them to make them tall enough. We bought some
flagstone from Home Depot. The milk crates are great because the fish can swim
in and out of the holes. Take a look at our pond page, the 2 plants in the
very front are on milk crates.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 20-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Jan,

I have bought black, plastic, milk crates to put some plants in our pond

where
there is no shelves.

The milk crates are great because the fish can swim
in and out of the holes. Take a look at our pond page, the 2 plants in

the
very front are on milk crates.

We also use milk crates. The goldfish move through them. The koi are too
big...as the one found out who got stuck and lost a 2" band of scales where
it rubbed. It still has not regained its full tail, but has skin and scales
where it lost them. (cf. pics on our website).

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 21-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Sue Walsh

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
Hi Jan,

I have bought black, plastic, milk crates to put some plants in our pond

where
there is no shelves.

The milk crates are great because the fish can swim
in and out of the holes. Take a look at our pond page, the 2 plants in

the
very front are on milk crates.

We also use milk crates. The goldfish move through them. The koi are too
big...as the one found out who got stuck and lost a 2" band of scales where
it rubbed.

Phyllis

Phyllis & Jan,
I too have used black milk crates. I have cut some larger holes in
them to allow the larger fish to enter and leave again. This is easy
to do by just cutting a few of the dividers out to enlarge a hole.
Also I put uplanted bunches of Anacharis under the milk crate which
keeps them from floating up and they tend to root in dirt on the
botttom. The females like this area for laying there eggs and it does
give the baby fish a nice hiding place. So these milk crates serve
dual purposes in our pond. Sometimes we put a patio block or two on
top before we put the plant on it, in case it is too deep for that
particular type of plant.

See my pond at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

Old 21-07-2004, 06:07 AM
k conover

I'm so jealous of your nice frog. I bought two tadpoles 2 months ago, but
they probably got eaten...what do you have his nice rock in the middle of
the pond sitting on--another milk crate?
Kirsten

Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Sue Walsh

"k conover" wrote in message ...
I'm so jealous of your nice frog. I bought two tadpoles 2 months ago, but
they probably got eaten...what do you have his nice rock in the middle of
the pond sitting on--another milk crate?
Kirsten
See my pond at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

'The Rock' is on top of 2 patio stones which we placed on top of an
extra layer of pond liner so the weight would not punch holes in the
liner. Rock is fairly big, Only about 1/3 shows above water line. It
took two guys to get it in there.

We didn't bring in any tadpoles the frogs found us and we wonder where
they came from because we have no lakes or ponds for miles around
us!?!

Sue W
Old 22-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Ka30P

Sue wrote
We didn't bring in any tadpoles the frogs found us and we wonder where

they came from because we have no lakes or ponds for miles around
us!?!

Not all frogs hang around water 24/7.
Leopard frogs like meadows and fields too. They do find water a great place to
hunt bugs. They usually travel when it rains. There is some old German proverb
about raindrops turning into frogs as spring rains always seem to followed by
magically appearing frogs.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 22-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Sue Walsh

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
Sue wrote
We didn't bring in any tadpoles the frogs found us and we wonder where

they came from because we have no lakes or ponds for miles around
us!?!

Not all frogs hang around water 24/7.
Leopard frogs like meadows and fields too. They do find water a great place to
hunt bugs. They usually travel when it rains. There is some old German proverb
about raindrops turning into frogs as spring rains always seem to followed by
magically appearing frogs.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Interesting point so I guess they just hiked in!

I can see it all, groups of leopard frogs coming down the road with
their little hobo packs tied to a stick on their shoulders, sorry I
missed the parade.

Seriously though, we did notice the leopard frogs climb out of the
pond and go off into the garden area in the late afternoons. I guess
early evenings are a good bug hunting time. I guess after that they
come back to the pond for some 'submarine watching' time, as we hear a
lot of "frog music" during the later part of the night. We've also
had them sitting on the Colorado Rock in the middle of the day jumping
and catching dragon flies, maybe that's a way to show off for the
girls?

However they got here I'm glad to have them around. We had a problem
at the beginning with them getting into the Savio Skimmer and being
chewed up by the pump, but my husband put hardware cloth over the
opening and stuffed a towel into the handle so they can't get in there
anymore.

you can see my Ripplin Waters Pond at...

htpp://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

Old 24-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Ka30P

Lori wrote Actually, tadpoles get sucked up into the atmosphere by twisters,
and
eventually come back down as babies.
My Grandpaw and my Dad have both told of seeing frogs in cow prints,
etc after a hard rain.

They do, especially in this part of the world.
Fish also.
Why we're (USA) so lucky to get so many tornadoes when Europe rarely sees
any...

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 28-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Sue Walsh

"k conover" wrote in message ...
I'm so jealous of your nice frog. I bought two tadpoles 2 months ago, but
they probably got eaten...what do you have his nice rock in the middle of
the pond sitting on--another milk crate?
Kirsten
See my pond at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/aspenjd

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

'The Rock' is on top of 2 patio stones which we placed on top of an
extra layer of pond liner so the weight would not punch holes in the
liner. Rock is fairly big, Only about 1/3 shows above water line. It
took two guys to get it in there.

We didn't bring in any tadpoles the frogs found us and we wonder where
they came from because we have no lakes or ponds for miles around
us!?!

Sue W

"Dendrobium nitidum" - the other side of the taxonomic argument Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 9 14-09-2007 03:44 PM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
"borrowing" plants from the side of the rd. Bryan Ponds 5 23-06-2003 10:20 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM