Old 24-06-2003, 11:44 AM
John Bachman

Default Who is this loud mouthed critter?

In our new pond lives a small critter who makes a big racket. I have
not seen it yet but it is there. We live in Southern New Hampshire.
Every evening at dusk the critter starts his call. It is a long
Chiiiiiiirrrrrrrrpppp and is very loud. I have stood over the spot
where the sound seems to be emanating with flashlight in hand and see
nothing. I think that the critter must be back under the rocks
somewhere and must be much smaller than his voice.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Insect, frog or toad?

TIA

John

Old 24-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Sounds like a toad if the long sound is like a cricket on speed.

You can hear some frog sounds at
www.naturesound.com/frogs/frogs.html

This site points to some others.
http://www.frogsonice.com/froggy/sounds.shtml

Let us know what you have got.
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net

Old 24-06-2003, 04:44 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:43:23 -0500, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Sounds like a toad if the long sound is like a cricket on speed.

You can hear some frog sounds at
www.naturesound.com/frogs/frogs.html

Unfortunately that one requires Real Audio RadioPass which is $6 per
month. Plus they want my email address so they can sell it to more
spammers.

Thanks anyway.

John

Old 24-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Chester Deja

Good chance it is what is called a peeper. Small frog about the size
of a quarter that hides VERY WELL, is small and very numerous. They
make a LOUD chirping sound. They are very hard to spot - unlike toads
who are easy to see. We have several in our pond too.

Rick

Old 24-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Anne Lurie

John, try www.naturesound.com/frogs/frogs.html again, I think you may have
accidently hit the wrong link. I just tried one of the frog links under
"Links to Real Audio Sound Files Only" -- and got my dogs all excited, to
boot!

I use Real Audio, but I don't recall ever having paid for it; I suppose at
some point I may have given out my email address, but it's second nature to
me now.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 25-06-2003, 05:08 AM
DKat

May I suggest you open up a hotmail email address account (or yahoo) that
you use only for these purposes (requested email address - or where you want
your junk mail to go). You don't have to ever look at your mail and they
empty it your box gets too full. You should be able to get any number of
free

Old 25-06-2003, 11:44 AM
John Bachman

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:32:42 GMT, "Anne Lurie"
wrote:

John, try www.naturesound.com/frogs/frogs.html again, I think you may have
accidently hit the wrong link. I just tried one of the frog links under
"Links to Real Audio Sound Files Only" -- and got my dogs all excited, to
boot!

I use Real Audio, but I don't recall ever having paid for it; I suppose at
some point I may have given out my email address, but it's second nature to
me now.

Anne-

I found the free version of Real Audio and can now here them. I think
that I have an American Toad residing in my pond.

Thanks for your help.

John

speed queen loud and leaking: new or repair T[_4_] Edible Gardening 11 06-02-2016 08:08 PM
Loud chirping is new behaviour john ryan United Kingdom 8 10-05-2011 08:54 PM
MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD [email protected] Lawns 7 21-09-2006 06:13 PM
Loud "spitter" k conover Ponds 6 29-03-2004 03:36 PM
Sprinkler system is making loud noise and stops for few seconds Bharat Texas 2 12-05-2003 10:08 PM