Old 26-06-2003, 03:45 AM
mark

Default water flls

hi can I use silicon to fill in the cracks in my waterfall,I want to use
silicon so the water will not run down the cracks but flow over them,should
I still use a liner. I'm a newbee to the waterfall so any advice on water
flow is appreciated.

Old 26-06-2003, 07:56 AM
zookeeper

mark wrote:
hi can I use silicon to fill in the cracks in my waterfall,I want to use
silicon so the water will not run down the cracks but flow over them,should
I still use a liner ...

I don't really know if this is a good idea. The previous occupant of our
home built a pond 2 years before he moved and we purchased the house. He
used silicon to fill around the top of the pond liner, between and under
the edging rocks. Over time, as the rocks expand and contract in heat
and cold, the silicon has loosened and fallen out. If the cracks in your
waterfall are small enough, the silicon might work. Hope someone with
more experience also responds.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 26-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

mark wrote:
hi can I use silicon to fill in the cracks in my waterfall,I want to use
silicon so the water will not run down the cracks but flow over them,should
I still use a liner. I'm a newbee to the waterfall so any advice on water
flow is appreciated.

Yes, if it is pure silicone and has no ingredients to
inhibit growth of mildew. GE makes a clear silicone
which is great.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 26-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Hank Pagel

GE clear silicone is the best, but like all silicone sealants it gives
off ammonia while it is curing. Be sure it is fully cured before it
contacts pond water. I have used it to hold coral together in salt
water tanks for years. I have never used the expandable foam (Great
Stuff) so I can't comment on it. My concern with foam is if it chips
off will the fish ingest it.

Old 27-06-2003, 01:44 AM
RichToyBox

You will want to put a liner under the rocks and have it come up high enough
on the sides to contain any water. The silicone or foam will get the water
to run over the tops of the rocks, so it is more noticeable, but some will
leak behind the rocks, and you want to have it run into the pond, rather
than the ground around the pond.
--
RichToyBox

a...