Old 27-06-2003, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Where to buy critters?

I mentioned in another thread about a critter pack my bro in law and I are
buying. It's 18 snails and 18 tadpoles for $60.00. Does anyone know of other
sources? Does this sound like a good price?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old 27-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Bob

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:46:00 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
m wrote:

I mentioned in another thread about a critter pack my bro in law and I are
buying. It's 18 snails and 18 tadpoles for $60.00. Does anyone know of other
sources? Does this sound like a good price?

Check:

http://www.paradisewatergardens.com

I have had good luck with their products
Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Sam Hopkins

For that low quantity that's probably an ok price.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 PM
bobkiely

I saw tadpoles at Petco the other day for $1.58/ea so that doesn't seem too
out of line.
BK
"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 27-06-2003, 07:25 PM
Sue Alexandre

Hi, BV:
I bought some snails, bullfrog tadpoles, red worms, and plants from this
place: http://berkshirebio.com/ and was pleased with the items and the
prices. 12 bullfrog tadpoles was $20, and they have different packages
for snails, but I got the 25 pond snails for $10. Hope that helps.
Sue

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 27-06-2003, 08:34 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
Hi, BV:
I bought some snails, bullfrog tadpoles, red worms, and plants from this
place: http://berkshirebio.com/ and was pleased with the items and the
prices. 12 bullfrog tadpoles was $20, and they have different packages
for snails, but I got the 25 pond snails for $10. Hope that helps.

Checked out the site. Nematodes? Hydra? Cool. Are these pond safe critters
also?

BV.

Old 28-06-2003, 01:44 AM
K30a

BV wrote Nematodes? Hydra?

Nematodes are an invertebrates. Commonly called roundworms. They will get all
agitated and curl into an 'S' shape. They live in the gunk at the bottom of the
pond. There are over 1,000 different species. Some are parasites investing
other worms and small crustaceans. Some are predatory and some feed on plants.
Hydras are kewl! I've found some in my pond water and transferred them to a
glass pondlet in my house to watch. They have a squashy body with tentacles
and attached to the glass. They feed on algae, organic debris, tiny one celled
critters, tiny larvae of various insects. Some entangle their prey in their
stinging tentacles.

(info from POND LIFE by George K. Reid, PhD)

k30a
Old 28-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Sue Alexandre

Checked out the site. Nematodes? Hydra? Cool. Are these pond safe critters
also?

BV.

beats me. I was hoping YOU'D experiment with putting them in your pond and
letting ME know.
Sue

Old 28-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Hank Pagel

I thought you put nematodes on your lawn. They feed on grubs .....
when the grubs are gone they die from starvation.

Old 28-06-2003, 04:44 AM
GD

Nematodes are one of the more numerous groups of spineless animals,
and as mentioned earlier in this thread, fill many, many niches. It
has been stated that if all matter on earth except for that making up
nematodes was removed, the general shape of the planet and all things
on it would remain visible, as outlined by the vast numbers of the
roundworms. Virtually everyone, at some point in their life,
supports a fauna of nematodes. Ewww, right?

Old 28-06-2003, 05:08 AM

LOL.. microbiologists say it is bacteria. INgrid

GD wrote:

Nematodes are one of the more numerous groups of spineless animals,
and as mentioned earlier in this thread, fill many, many niches. It
has been stated that if all matter on earth except for that making up
nematodes was removed, the general shape of the planet and all things
on it would remain visible, as outlined by the vast numbers of the
roundworms. Virtually everyone, at some point in their life,
supports a fauna of nematodes. Ewww, right?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-06-2003, 10:32 PM
~ Windsong ~

In the last chapter: BenignVanilla picked up the keyboard and pecked
out:
:: I mentioned in another thread about a critter pack my bro in law
:: and I are buying. It's 18 snails and 18 tadpoles for $60.00. Does
:: anyone know of other sources? Does this sound like a good price?
===========================
These creatures will show up on their own unless you're in a big city. Why
buy them? If you are in a big city what chance have the frogs or toads to
survive there? Snails seem to materialize out of thin air and some damage
plants.
--
Carol.......
"Beat the 5 o'clock rush - leave work at noon."

Old 29-06-2003, 10:32 PM
jammer

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:32:44 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

These creatures will show up on their own unless you're in a big city. Why
buy them? If you are in a big city what chance have the frogs or toads to
survive there? Snails seem to materialize out of thin air and some damage
plants.

I am really hoping that one of these days when i move my pond from
texas to california, that i can introduce some frogs or toads or
something that will survive and stay around.