Old 27-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Jeff & Kathy Brown

Default Pond Shade

We just got done building a new pond at our new house. This is our fourth
pond that we've built and this is the first pond that has been in full sun.

Ok, what do you sun pond people do to shade the pond in order to keep the
water temp from skyrocketing? I am open to anyone who has ideas to help my
water temp from getting out of hand. Thanks.
Kathy Brown

Old 27-06-2003, 08:34 PM
BenignVanilla

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in message
We just got done building a new pond at our new house. This is our fourth
pond that we've built and this is the first pond that has been in full

sun.

Ok, what do you sun pond people do to shade the pond in order to keep the
water temp from skyrocketing? I am open to anyone who has ideas to help

my
water temp from getting out of hand. Thanks.

I am beginning to realize that with the Lotus plants that my neighbor gave
me...Shade is not an issue. I think these leaves may cover the county.

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 09:44 PM
jammer

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:08:22 -0400, "Jeff & Kathy Brown"
wrote:

We just got done building a new pond at our new house. This is our fourth
pond that we've built and this is the first pond that has been in full sun.

Ok, what do you sun pond people do to shade the pond in order to keep the
water temp from skyrocketing? I am open to anyone who has ideas to help my
water temp from getting out of hand. Thanks.
Kathy Brown

I am trying to figure out what to use for shade, myself.....

Old 27-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Lori

I am trying to figure out what to use for shade, myself.....

You might try one of these:
http://www.southernpatio.com/ssmpages/SSMmainwin.html

Lori

Old 28-06-2003, 12:56 AM
sandra

We have trees planted near the pond which have grown enough in the last 6
yrs to shade pretty well. We also use a couple of large patio umbrellas.
Here in central Ca. when it really gets hot (today 103 so far) we toss in
frozen bottled water (plain water stored in water bottles or milk jugs etc.)
or bags of ice. With the shade established we may not need to resort to that
this summer.
sandra

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Denise

Kathy, I have heard and read about so many problems with ponds in full
sun location. Did you not have a good shaded area to build this pond?

I think I located my little koi pond in the best spot. It gets morning
sun and then the hot afternoon sun is blocked by huge maple tree about
25 feet away. I don't get any leaves in the pond until later fall and
then I clean and close up for the winter, bringing the koi inside for
winter vacation in tank.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

I have never done anything to shade my ponds. Both are in full sun. The
fish get shaded by hula hoops of lettuce or hyacinths, and lily pads. The
temperature of an in ground pond should stay cooler than the average of high
and low for the day, due to evaporative cooling and the great big heat sink
called earth. I think my ponds will warm into the low eighties about
August. Above ground ponds don't have the big heat sink, and may get
radiational heating by direct solar exposure, making them warmer than the
average high and low.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-06-2003, 04:44 AM
GD

30% shade fabric is useful for reducing high temperatures caused by
direct sunlight without excessive impact on plant growth and
flowering.

Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"Jeff & Kathy Brown" wrote in
message ...
We just got done building a new pond at our new house.

This is our fourth
pond that we've built and this is the first pond that has

been in full sun.

Ok, what do you sun pond people do to shade the pond in

order to keep the
water temp from skyrocketing? I am open to anyone who has

ideas to help my
water temp from getting out of hand. Thanks.
Kathy Brown

DH built frames out of wood trellises and we
stapled or wired shade fabric over it to provide
direct sun in the morning, and shade the rest of
the day. That's for our two above-ground
(stock tank) ponds.

The in-ground pond just got its very own
canopy which encourages sitting under and
watching the zillion tadpoles & (considerably
fewer) minows. Again, morning sun is
allowed.

Plant growth is great in all three ponds.

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 28-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Carolyn

we sometimes put a large picnic table umbrella near the pond, that really
seems to help, looks a bit funny, but works!