Old 04-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Tbumpy

Default Liquid fertilizer

Yes, in Albuquerque. The pond suppliers charge almost double what I can buy
online and petsmart has an extremely limited supply of pond supplies. Any ideas
where I could buy potash? Can I get it at Home Depot or Lowes? How much do I
use for 3500 gallons? So many questions, so little time.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
John Rutz

--
yes they have it at home depot, prob Lowes too, but to save yor self
some storage space go to Rowlands or ace Hardware, they have it in 5 lb

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Tbumpy

I'll try Rowlands first. If I don't like their prices then I just might take
you up on your deal. Haven't been out that way in a while.

Tina
Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
joe

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

where I could buy potash? Can I get it at Home Depot or Lowes?

Sure, and pretty much any garden shop. All you really want if fertilizer
that is 0-0-xx, where xx is the biggest number you can buy (50 or 60)

Joe

Old 06-07-2003, 12:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
where I could buy potash? Can I get it at Home Depot or Lowes?

Actually I didn't write that above, but at one time in this thread I
replied to it. Don't want to confuse the masses. ;o) ~ jan

Sure, and pretty much any garden shop. All you really want if fertilizer
that is 0-0-xx, where xx is the biggest number you can buy (50 or 60)

Joe

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Nedra

You are right about where to find Potash, Bonnie! I had
searched everywhere to no avail. On the way home I stopped
by Diehl Feeds ... a feed store just up the road from me
that has stuff laying around from the 30s and 40s.

Mr. Diehl has Potash - $2+ for 5 lbs... all in a neat
clean bag.

Nedra

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

On 02 Jul 2003 21:01:56 GMT, (Tbumpy) wrote:

Is there a way to test for these trace minerals? Right now the pond is

clear

with lots of plants and fish but the plants just don't seem to be doing

as well

as they could. I have Pickeral, Lillies, iris, and hyacinth. Also,

where

could

I get some of the Tetra Pond fertilizer? The selection of pond stores

in

New

Mexico is pretty sorry and they overcharge.

Don't kill the messenger, but save your money.

All Tetra Pond Florafin is, is potash in liquid form. So you'll pay $8

for
a couple of tablespoons of dry potash and colored water, when you can

buy

5 lb. box of potash for about $4 and mix your own. ~ jan

I have searched high and low and can not find Potash anywhere. Someone
help...

BV.

Do you have an Agway nearby, that is where I get mine.
If not try another farm store, you've gotta have one
nearby.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip
Do you have an Agway nearby, that is where I get mine.
If not try another farm store, you've gotta have one
nearby.

snip

Not sure. I'll have to check. I have checked the Depots, Lowes, etc. Nobody
knows what Potash is when I ask, but I have also checked the aisles and not
see anything 0-0-60.

BV.

Old 08-07-2003, 04:45 AM
*muffin*

have you tried a garden center?
the 2 I went to close by had some.
If you are that desperate, I could send you some,, or someone else can, I
bet..

: )

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"*muffin*" wrote in message

have you tried a garden center?
the 2 I went to close by had some.
If you are that desperate, I could send you some,, or someone else can, I
bet..

snip

I am going to go on one more hunt this weekend. I do have one question
though...Why add this at all? Shouldn't the fish load to enough to fertilize
your plants? If not, would it make sense to throttle back your filtration a
bit and let the plants do more?

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
RichToyBox

Fish create ammonia, which is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. Plants
use this as one of the three main elements of fertilizer. Most of the fish
food has an excess of phosphorus. That is the second main element. The
third main element is potash. It is read on fertilizer as nitrogen,
phosphorus, potash, like 5,10,5. The plants will be limited by one of
these, or one of the minor elements, and not be able to use all of the
elements. If the pond has excess nitrogen and phosphorus, then it feeds
algae, without having the potash to feed the higher level plants. If there
is an excess of potash, then one of the other elements becomes the
controlling element by its deficiency. Algae doesn't do well without the
nitrogen and phosphorus.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Liquid fertilizer Prometheus Xex Ponds 6 22-07-2004 07:34 PM
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer NoPatience Gardening 4 20-07-2004 08:02 AM
Liquid fertilizer Prometheus Xex Ponds 6 19-07-2004 09:04 PM
Anyone here use a liquid fertilizer in there pond? Mickey Ponds 11 09-09-2003 10:25 PM
Liquid vs granular/solid fertilizer Ho-Kuo Chan Lawns 8 09-05-2003 12:32 AM