Old 01-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Tbumpy

Default Liquid fertilizer

Has anyone used this type of fertilizer for their pond plants? I was wondering
how well it works and if anyone recommends a certain type. My pond is large
(3500 gallons) and has quite a few plants so this would be easier for us to use
than the plant tabs.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Cam

It depends on what type of plants you have. If you have floating plants
these will benefit as they draw nutrients straight from the water column.
Rooted plants would be better off with plant tabs imo, as they're mainly
feeding through their roots! Personally i would not go for liquid
fertilizer, the algae will have a whale of a time with it! At least with the
sticks its like a sort of slow release and does'nt leach into the water
column, so there are less nutrients for the alga to thrive on! GETIT? HTH

PS. I dont own a pond, only have experience with planted aquaria, but i wold
imagine the principle is roughly the same. Maybe some of these other CRAZY
porgers will enlighten us all.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Sam Hopkins

Dont do it you'll get algae. Adding liquid fert will only add fert to the
water column which is where algae gets it from. That plus it's high in
phosphates which is what algae utilizes much more so than plants.

Sam

Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Nedra

I poured 3 big bottles into the lotus pond early on with
no adverse affect.

Nedra

.. .

Old 02-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MattR

This is something I want to understand. Some people can add fertilizer
straight into the water, or grow water lillies bare root, and their
water is crystal clear. There's something else going on besides
fertilizer bad, shade good.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Lee Brouillet

ah HA! So *that's* your secret!

But you don't have any fish in the lotus pond, so that's a safe thing to do.
If you had fish, you wouldn't want to do that (right???).

Lee

thlink.net...

Old 02-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Nedra

Always ready to help you .... It is called Tetra Pond -
you pour it right into the pond with no ill effects. I
don't know what is in it. As for the bareroot lilies-
I can't help you that much. K30a has grown them
with good results.... some others have done the same.

Good Luck

Nedra

Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Nedra

Lee.... lol No I don't think so ... I put the bottles of
Tetra Pond in months ago... say, about March.

I do have some gold fish in the lotus pond. Tetra Pond
does Not affect the fish ... at least that is what the label says.

I think the Secret is flooding the lotus pond with FISH water
from bottom of fish pond.

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
ah HA! So *that's* your secret!

But you don't have any fish in the lotus pond, so that's a safe thing to

do.
If you had fish, you wouldn't want to do that (right???).

Lee

thlink.net...

Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Yes, that's true. The reason some people can is because when they add the
fert to their water they have enough trace and macro nuterients in the water
to enable the plants to use the phosphate before algae can take hold.
However if you don't have this situation (i.e. you have no iron in your
water) the plants will not be able to use the phosphate but algae will and
therefore it'll gain hold.

Sam

Old 02-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Tbumpy

Is there a way to test for these trace minerals? Right now the pond is clear
with lots of plants and fish but the plants just don't seem to be doing as well
as they could. I have Pickeral, Lillies, iris, and hyacinth. Also, where could
I get some of the Tetra Pond fertilizer? The selection of pond stores in New
Mexico is pretty sorry and they overcharge.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:32 PM
MattR

Or put another way, how much might have to be added? I've used some of
the prepackaged mineral/fertilizer liquids to no avail. I put something
like a cup of iron in my 1200 gallon pond and the hyacinth still aren't
as green as when I got them.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
John Rutz

--

they may have it at Petsmart in Alb I dont know as I never looked for it

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Nedra

As I recall the 16 oz bottle of Tetra Pond has instructions
on the back. Comes in a box - as a liquid so you don't
have to mix
anything. I used 3 bottles for the lotus pond .... 12 ft diameter...
It's about a foot deep... iows I don't know how many gallons
that is.

Nedra

Old 03-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Tbumpy

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try some and see what happens.

Liquid fertilizer Prometheus Xex Ponds 6 22-07-2004 07:34 PM
Liquid Lawn Fertilizer NoPatience Gardening 4 20-07-2004 08:02 AM
Liquid fertilizer Prometheus Xex Ponds 6 19-07-2004 09:04 PM
Anyone here use a liquid fertilizer in there pond? Mickey Ponds 11 09-09-2003 10:25 PM
Liquid vs granular/solid fertilizer Ho-Kuo Chan Lawns 8 09-05-2003 12:32 AM