Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Mark T.

Default Lilly $

Hello all,

I'm clueless about water lillies and
would appreciate any advice.

I am wondering how much folks pay for
water lillies? Out here in Southern Cal.
I'm seeing them for about $30.00 each.

Will lillies propogate? In other words, if
I buy one and plant it in an underwater
planter, will more lillies sprout? I've seen
some of your pictures and, based on the cost
(here), of $30.00 each, nothing less than a
small fortune has been invested in lillies.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Old 05-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Bryan

I've fond them locally (central OK) from $5-6 each (Wal-mart & bare root at
nurseries) to about $15 at Lowes to over $30-$50 for tropicals at nurseries.

As far as propagating, I don't have much experience with tropicals, but I
divided all my hardies last year at least in have, some in 1/3's - 1/5's.
And all are doing well thus far this year. Most have produces buds or
flowers.

If you look in this news group in the right time of season many people will
trade plants, sell divisions for postage, etc.

Bryan
http://www.safetybaby.com/yard8.htm

Old 05-07-2003, 08:32 PM
joe

Mark T. wrote:

I am wondering how much folks pay for
water lillies? Out here in Southern Cal.
I'm seeing them for about $30.00 each.

I live in San Diego and , yes, they are expensive. There's a place somewhere
near LA called Van Ness water gardens (http://www.vnwg.com), but they are
very expensive. I just buy all that stuff on the internet.

Joe

Old 05-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Go Fig

In article
,
"Mark T." wrote:

Hello all,

I'm clueless about water lillies and
would appreciate any advice.

I am wondering how much folks pay for
water lillies? Out here in Southern Cal.
I'm seeing them for about $30.00 each.

It's very hard to compare lilies across the board.

There are hardy's, tropical's, patented and none patented.

Were they sold as bare-root, or did the have pads and even buds ?

jay
Sat, Jul 5, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Bob H

I bought one at Wal mart for $5, it is living but struggling...I bought one
at Home Depot also for $5, It is thriving and has already produced it's 1st
flower (about a month after planting) but it was white with a yellow center,
was labeled as red, so I guess you take your chances. Lowes is a good
source as well, you have to look around....I have bought a couple here
locally (Spokane Wa.) from a lady that runs a pond garden out of her back
yard for $20 each because I was sure what they were I really wanted a Sioux
(color changing) and a Red so I have spent $50 on 4 lilies. I will probably
buy a couple more when I see bargains cause I got the colors I REALLY wanted
so the rest is fill.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:32 PM
jammer

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:47:56 GMT, "Mark T."
wrote:

Hello all,

I'm clueless about water lillies and
would appreciate any advice.

I am wondering how much folks pay for
water lillies? Out here in Southern Cal.
I'm seeing them for about $30.00 each.

Will lillies propogate? In other words, if
I buy one and plant it in an underwater
planter, will more lillies sprout? I've seen
some of your pictures and, based on the cost
(here), of $30.00 each, nothing less than a
small fortune has been invested in lillies.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Maybe consult www.gardenweb.com and find some for trade or postage.
Just dont say in the original post you want to trade for postage. Good
luck.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 AM
RichToyBox

Mark,

Take one good hardy lily, whether from the store or from a fellow ponder,
feed heavily with pond tabbs, every 2-4 weeks, and next year you can divide
them into about 8. Take one tropical lily, and if it sees cold water, dead.
Most ponders consider them expensive annuals, but that is the only way to
get the blues.
--
RichToyBox

Old 06-07-2003, 01:32 AM
Barbara2245

"Mark T." wrote in message ...
Hello all,

I'm clueless about water lillies and
would appreciate any advice.

I am wondering how much folks pay for
water lillies? Out here in Southern Cal.
I'm seeing them for about $30.00 each.

Will lillies propogate? In other words, if
I buy one and plant it in an underwater
planter, will more lillies sprout? I've seen
some of your pictures and, based on the cost
(here), of $30.00 each, nothing less than a
small fortune has been invested in lillies.

Thanks for your comments.

Perhaps in a year the lily can be repotted and divided. Lilies need to
be fertilized every month in the summer. Don't leave it in the potting
soil from the store. Many people replant in kitty litter, the cheapest
pure clay type. Happy water gaedening.
Mark

Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Chester Deja

For our new pond this year we had sticker shock too on the price of
the lillies. We did not bite and came accross the 'box' lilies at
Walmart which were about $4 apiece. The boxes contained lillies plus
other pond plants. I opened the boxes to insure they were growing
before I bought them. I bought 8 of them and they all lived and are
thriving. Yellow, red and white. There was some other irises and
other plants with them too which only 3 irises survived. Some of the
other plants did not come up but I bought them for the lillies anyway.
I took them out of the small containers and planted them in my own
containers.

They are all gone at walmart now - they sell out ASAP and go on
clearance about the last weeks of May. I will be watching for them
again next year. They also had these in Lowes along side the water
garden plans they are selling. Now I am just waiting for Lowes to put
their water lillies ($17.99) on clearence sale so I can get some more.

Rick

Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"Chester Deja" wrote in message
om...
snip
They are all gone at walmart now - they sell out ASAP and go on
clearance about the last weeks of May. I will be watching for them
again next year. They also had these in Lowes along side the water
garden plans they are selling. Now I am just waiting for Lowes to put
their water lillies ($17.99) on clearence sale so I can get some more.

snip

Our Walmart is loaded with them...too bad I have no room.

BV.

Old 22-07-2003, 04:11 AM
adavisus

It puzzles me why walmarts, lowes, home depot 'dump' hundreds of
glitzy boxed water lilies in stores at cheap prices, there obviously
isn't much money to be made as they are deliberately pricing them to
be 'easy' for anyone to buy on impulse....

Nor can there be that many new ponders in that stores area to justify
the number of lilies stocked...

Perhaps they make the real bucks on the less than competitive priced
fibre glass ponds, pumps and junk that the 'impulse' buyer has to
resort to start a pond... knowing full well when the little plastic
pond is bulging at the seams with the monster from the lagoon, they
stand a chance of selling more expensive larger ponds later...

The ponds they stock sure arent big enough for the majority of coarse
waterlilies in those teensy weensy boxes, crafty, that...

You could spend all that money on a way overpriced liner or tub, only
to discover that cheap, sweet little plant resembles something from
the 'little shop of horrors' next year....

e-bay may be your best bet if you want to be careful on price, named
varieties are typically $5 to $15. Buying based on price only is
likely to limit your chance of getting a variety which is worth
getting, as demand can exceed supply, the good ones do sell out.

A lot of poor varieties come onto the market at a good price, needless
to say they are varieties which usually have ghastly invasive
sprawling habits, poor flower to leaf ratios and are often massively
out of proportion when started in anything smaller than a huge farm
pond.

When choosing a waterlily, you really need to do a shortlist based on
size, before anything else, some like to be 1' some 3' wide, others
intend to be 12' wide... When you have say a dozen names of varieties
you like, then its time to shop around...

A further advantage of e-bay is you are likely to be shopping around
folk who have grown the waterlilies, so there's a fair chance of the
waterlily turning out to be something like the description, unlike
those cheapo walmart packs where its quite a chuckle if what grows
remotely resembles the description, lol

Over 100 aquatic plants available!
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://community.webshots.com/user/adavisus
(photo albums of aquatic plants and descriptions)