Old 09-07-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default feed mosquito fish in winter?

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Hey! I resemble that remark! BTW what kind of food do you feed your

fish,
and why cant I use catfish food? ;-)

Just still trying to be the assistant clown to BV!

snip

And don't forget...

What kind of liner should I use?
What kind of pump should I by?
What is potash?
Where do I find potash? (I am guilty of this one)
How much salt should I give my fish?
What kind of frog is this?
Is 100 Koi in 10 gallons of water overstocked?

Just a few of my favorites...BTW, where can I get Potash?

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:44 PM
John Rutz

Just Me \"Koi\" wrote:
Hey! I resemble that remark! BTW what kind of food do you feed your fish,
and why cant I use catfish food? ;-)

Just still trying to be the assistant clown to BV!

I checked out the catfish feed, the label had fish parts in front of the
corn so I figured why not try it.
two things went wrong with my experiment------- first the fish are
concentrating on the algae in the pond. so they realy have no interest
in the supplemental feed
they nibble at the Koi feed I have been feeding, they also esp the
bigger fish nibble at the catfish feed. so I cant tell if they like
one or the other. or or just eating what they find at the time

not much help I know

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Lydia

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Now, Lydia, a question for you. Do you know the "real" name of your
mosquito fish you got off of E-bay? In this state the mosquito control
district gives out "free" fish also called that, real name "short version"
gambusia. If you have gambusia please don't mention how you got them, one
has to have a license to transport them. It's okay to have them, but they
are very concerned of where they are placed. So hopefully you either don't
have gambusia (look like a drab cousin to a guppy) or don't live where a
flood could come thru and carry them away to Lake Washington (or closest
lake to you) if you do. ~ jan (also known as jj)

Gulp... well, looks like the eBay seller lists them as Heterandria formosa -
calls them spotted mosquito fish (synonym for gambusia?). Did I say I got
them from eBay? Uhhhhhh, I *found* them. Yeah, that's it - that's what I
meant. 8-]

We're far enough away from the Green River (which is controlled by the
county) that it would have to be Biblical amounts of rain for flooding to be
a concern. There seems to be plenty of info to support that, from the dude
we talked to who's lived there all his life (he's probably 40-something) and
said his family has never seen the Green River flood to data from the
national weather service. So I feel confident that the fish won't be
introduced into water sources they shouldn't be. Maybe I'll keep them in my
Rubbermaid "container garden" extraordinaire for a season. I can always put
the lid on that and take it inside!

Lydia

Old 10-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Anne Lurie

Man, it's amazing what I will do to distract myself from an approaching
thunderstorm -- I have no interest whatsoever in fish of any ilk, but I
did find this website http://www.webcityof.com/miffidx.htm to purports to
be a Master Index of Freshwater Fishes.

BTW, assuming Lydia did not *steal* the fish in question, I truly believe
that it's the seller's responsibility to correctly identify the "product"
and any caveats associated with said product.

Good luck, kids!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 10-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Judy

Hi Lydia, I got my mosquito fish from the county abatement center,
they were free of course. However I was told by the county that
mosquito fish do not do well in cold weather. I lost a few of them
this past winter but they do multiple alot during summer so a few lost
is good. I use these fish for my water plant containers, approx 50
gallons. And their right, you do not feed fish usually in winter when
the water reaches a certain temp. In fact alot of your fish food
containers will warm you not to feed them. You'll love rec.pond and
all the great ponders that answer your questions. I've used this site
for four years now and learned so much and still learning from these
experienced ponders. Great site.

"

Lydia" wrote in message ...
Hi everyone... I hope I don't become known as that person who always asks
the dumb questions, but I got some mosquito fish and was just thinking about
times when there is no mosquito larva for them to eat. Do I need to feed
them myself in the winter or will they maybe continue to multiply
exponentially and eat the babies and that will be sufficient?

Thanks for your patience,
Lydia

Old 10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Lydia, if you go to google and type in "Heterandria formosa" and click on
Images you will see various pictures, maybe you'll see what you've got.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:33:50 GMT, "Anne Lurie" wrote:

BTW, assuming Lydia did not *steal* the fish in question, I truly believe
that it's the seller's responsibility to correctly identify the "product"
and any caveats associated with said product.

You're absolutely right Anne, Lydia should/would not be in trouble, it
would be the seller for transporting them via USPS (or whatever means). It
appears though that most likely she does not have the gambusia, though may
have a more winter sensitive variety.

Though if you need an alibi, you can always say, "a bird must have dropped
them (it) in there." It happens. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I checked out the catfish feed, the label had fish parts in front of the
corn so I figured why not try it.
John Rutz

Now wait a minute, isn't that how mad cow disease goes around, from feeding
cows, cow parts? Who needs a bunch of mad koi/goldfish? Our toes and
fingers would never be safe in the water again. ;o) ~ jan