Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Lydia

Default feed mosquito fish in winter?

Hi everyone... I hope I don't become known as that person who always asks
the dumb questions, but I got some mosquito fish and was just thinking about
times when there is no mosquito larva for them to eat. Do I need to feed
them myself in the winter or will they maybe continue to multiply
exponentially and eat the babies and that will be sufficient?

Thanks for your patience,
Lydia

Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
joe

Lydia wrote:

Hi everyone... I hope I don't become known as that person who always asks
the dumb questions, but I got some mosquito fish and was just thinking about
times when there is no mosquito larva for them to eat. Do I need to feed
them myself in the winter or will they maybe continue to multiply
exponentially and eat the babies and that will be sufficient?

Dear Dumb Question Person,

That's not a dumb question.

I wouldn't feed them...ever. They already multiply like rabbits. If I had it
to do over, I wouldn't even have put them in my pond. Where are you located?
Would they over winter in your pond okay?

Joe

Old 08-07-2003, 11:19 PM
K30a

Fish don't eat during the winter.
Or at least in places where the water
gets below 50 degrees.

k30a
Old 08-07-2003, 11:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lydia" wrote in message
Hi everyone... I hope I don't become known as that person who always asks
the dumb questions, but I got some mosquito fish and was just thinking

about
times when there is no mosquito larva for them to eat. Do I need to feed
them myself in the winter or will they maybe continue to multiply
exponentially and eat the babies and that will be sufficient?

Thanks for your patience,
Lydia

Dear dummy,

Please consider this a cease and desist letter, as I believe my official
title is "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions", as of October 2002. By asking said
questions you are impinging on my copyright.

Sincerely,
BV aka Dummy the 428,765th (but first to patent the idea)

P.S. Nothing is obvious unless it is pointed out to you. Keep on asking.
Usenet is all about Q&A.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Lydia

Thanks to all for the support. It's nice to find a group that is all about
helping each other. It's good therapy after meandering through others that
aren't so tolerant.

I'm south of Seattle, Washington by about 15 miles. Our average lows are
mid to low 30's and in summer highs are mid 70's - low 80's. So I think,
from what I understand about mosquito fish, they should hang in there
through our winters. Agree? I got them on eBay of all places - the things
you can find there...!

I currently have a big rubbermaid storage bin to house a couple of plants I
wanted which is where the fish will live until my real pond actually
materializes - hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm so anxious to get
started! We've lived in this house for a month and a half so it's high
time. Unpacking can wait.

With permission, I will continue to ask said questions however, my title
heretofore of "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions" will herein be changed forthwith
to "Ignoramous Asking Idiotic Questions"® to avoiding possible legal action.

Lydia

Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

With permission, I will continue to ask said questions however, my title
heretofore of "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions" will herein be changed forthwith
to "Ignoramous Asking Idiotic Questions"® to avoiding possible legal action.

Lydia

You sound like someone who belongs here.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-07-2003, 11:58 PM
K30a

Okay, now I know you live on the *other* side of
our state with their wonderful gardening zones, nice rains, moss, mold and
slugs the size of ponys.
:-) sigh, I miss it.

We (jj and I) are in the Tri-Cities, where we are sizzling along with hot winds
and brush fires and sirens.

You can expect gentle pond conditions. The fish will do fine. If you ever get
ice on the pond you can melt a hole in the ice with hot water. Or set up an air
pump and stone. You'll probably never need a floating de-icer, maybe once every
ten years.

:-)

k30a
Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 AM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

With permission, I will continue to ask said questions however, my title
heretofore of "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions" will herein be changed
forthwith
to "Ignoramous Asking Idiotic Questions"® to avoiding possible legal
action.

Lydia

You sound like someone who belongs here.

--

yup lets let her into our litle asylum she's a keeper

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-07-2003, 02:48 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

"Lydia" wrote in message

Hi everyone... I hope I don't become known as that person who always asks
the dumb questions, but I got some mosquito fish and was just thinking about
times when there is no mosquito larva for them to eat. Do I need to feed
them myself in the winter or will they maybe continue to multiply
exponentially and eat the babies and that will be sufficient?

BV replied:
Dear dummy,

Please consider this a cease and desist letter, as I believe my official
title is "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions", as of October 2002. By asking said
questions you are impinging on my copyright.

Sincerely,
BV aka Dummy the 428,765th (but first to patent the idea)

P.S. Nothing is obvious unless it is pointed out to you. Keep on asking.
Usenet is all about Q&A.

LOL! BV, you're always good for a laugh.

Lydia, There are rarely dumb questions, though we have had a few dumb
posters who ask the same question over & over. Now those are a tad dumb....
just a tad. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 09-07-2003, 05:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

With permission, I will continue to ask said questions however, my title
heretofore of "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions" will herein be changed forthwith
to "Ignoramous Asking Idiotic Questions"® to avoiding possible legal action.
Lydia

You sound like someone who belongs here.
Bonnie
John mentioned: You're a keeper

I have to definitely agree. We can forgive anything for a great sense of
humor. ;o) I do have to clear one little thing up:

K30 wrote:
Fish don't eat during the winter.

She, of course meant the usual pond fish, unlike trout and/or other cold
water fish who do eat in winter. ;o)

Now, Lydia, a question for you. Do you know the "real" name of your
mosquito fish you got off of E-bay? In this state the mosquito control
district gives out "free" fish also called that, real name "short version"
gambusia. If you have gambusia please don't mention how you got them, one
has to have a license to transport them. It's okay to have them, but they
are very concerned of where they are placed. So hopefully you either don't
have gambusia (look like a drab cousin to a guppy) or don't live where a
flood could come thru and carry them away to Lake Washington (or closest
lake to you) if you do. ~ jan (also known as jj)

Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

This is a cease and desist notice on behalf of BV, the title Ignoramus
asking idiotic question has been taken, you will be impinging on BV's right
and claim to that name! He has the Dumb.... and the Ignoramus...., and the
King of Clay titles sewn up :-) No matter what title you come up with that
makes you sound wrong for asking questions, we will oppose it!

Then again the foundation of this group is the questions we all ask, and the
wonderful answers we get!

BTW Love you BV, no harm meant! ;-)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Hey! I resemble that remark! BTW what kind of food do you feed your fish,
and why cant I use catfish food? ;-)

Just still trying to be the assistant clown to BV!

--
_______________________________________

Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lydia" wrote in message
snip
With permission, I will continue to ask said questions however, my title
heretofore of "Dummy Asking Dumb Questions" will herein be changed

forthwith
to "Ignoramous Asking Idiotic Questions"® to avoiding possible legal

action.

It appears assimilation is complete.

BV.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
news
This is a cease and desist notice on behalf of BV, the title Ignoramus
asking idiotic question has been taken, you will be impinging on BV's
right
and claim to that name! He has the Dumb.... and the Ignoramus...., and

the
King of Clay titles sewn up :-) No matter what title you come up with

that
makes you sound wrong for asking questions, we will oppose it!

Then again the foundation of this group is the questions we all ask, and

the
wonderful answers we get!

BTW Love you BV, no harm meant! ;-)

snip