Old 17-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Little Sccoby

Default Holy New Super Pond from Heaven Questions.

Holy shitballs. Creating a pond is a lot of work. I thought of another
device I could use though. Besides a wind detector like this one:

http://www.smarthome.com/7196.html

I could also use a water level safety shutoff device. Anyone ever use any
before? It would just have to be able to turn off a normal AC switch when
the water level reaches a low level in the pond. That way, even if the water
does blow out of the pond during high winds, the pumps would be
automatically shut off so they don't get burned out.

-Little Scooby

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
I say, "Go for it." When you figure it all out, let us know worked, and
pictures please. ~ jan

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:54:25 -0500, "Little Sccoby"

wrote:

I'm thinking it is going to be very very close to very very very very

close
if it works. I always have the option to upgrade the pond size as the

final
tweak but I want to save that option as the last resort option.
snip
I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out I guess. Who knows. In 1
week I could be digging again, but I hope not...

-Little Scooby

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Little Sccoby

What about trenching electrical? Anything to it that I need to know? I'm
guessing I should just trench a thicker guage extension cord to the pond
(about 20 to 30 foot cord), that way when I want to upgrade or replace old
pumps, I don't have to dig out the pump/light cord(s), which I was surprised
to find is not detachable from most of the pumps I have looked at.

My goal is to have 2 or 3 pumps plus lights attached to an extension cord
that goes to the outside house electrical jack which has a ground fault
interupter. I feel like I'm missing something though. What should I use to
waterproof the area where the pumps connect to the extension cord? Just wrap
them in plastic and seal with duct tape or something? Seems like there
should be a better way.

-Little Scooby

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Little Scooby wrote:

If it works and looks good under the right conditions in such a tiny

pond,
it will definately make me want to upgrade the size of the pond sooner

than
later but after digging 100 gallons of hard clay and dirt all last

weekend
with a Garden Claw and a shovel by myself when it was 90 degrees

outside, I
don't want to touch another shovel for a while (didn't seem right to

rent a
small Bobcat or excavator device for what at the time seemed like a puny

100
gallons) and I haven't looked into how much it would cost to hire

someone to
dig out another 100 to 200 gallons of earth (if anyone knows the cost,
please tell me), plus, I want to see if I can defy the odds by getting

it
not only to fit in the tiny pond I have selected, but to have it look

really
nice as well. Plus, this particular pond has the perfect shape for the

area
I have selected in the yard (considering there aren't very many good

designs
for preformed ponds - in my opinion).

I live in a clay area. Try wetting the ground really well and then
letting it sit and soak in for a while before digging. It's heavier
this way but a lot easier to dig.

Susan
shsimko at duke dot edu

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Nedra

There is a much better way.... call an electrician! I can
see you are a quick fixer ;-) ... not good to hook up your pond
with nothing but extension cords. And Please
don't wrap the cords with plastic. It holds in heat and could
easily cause a fire. If you must use extenesion cords buy
some dielectric grease from an auto parts store. Smear that
all over the ends. It is water proof.

I would like to see you post that you've thought about it ..
and your going to hire an electrician.

Nedra

.. .

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Little Sccoby

Actually, after reading a bunch of articles about installing ground fault
interupters, I'm more confused than before so it looks like I will have to
consult an electrician. I kinda thought there might be more to it than just
trenching a thick extension cord (or other high grade electrical cord) to a
GFCI recepticle so I am glad I asked. I never thought about the heat
generated from plastic wrapped around the cords (especially since they would
be buried underground). Good point.

What type of fee could I expect to be charged? Also, do the electricians
trench the electrical wire to the pond or is that something they would let
us do (or a landscaper if needed)?

Thanks again for all the help. I hope everything turns out.

-Little Scooby

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
There is a much better way.... call an electrician! I can
see you are a quick fixer ;-) ... not good to hook up your pond
with nothing but extension cords. And Please
don't wrap the cords with plastic. It holds in heat and could
easily cause a fire. If you must use extenesion cords buy
some dielectric grease from an auto parts store. Smear that
all over the ends. It is water proof.

I would like to see you post that you've thought about it ..
and your going to hire an electrician.

Nedra

.. .

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Nedra

I think I would call in an electrician who does this sort of
outdoor application to at least get an estimate.
They will let you know what you can
and perhaps should not do. I have no idea on fees.... they
are pretty much dictated by the union ... (I think??)

Nedra

"Little Sccoby" wrote in message
Actually, after reading a bunch of articles about installing ground fault
interupters, I'm more confused than before so it looks like I will have to
consult an electrician. I kinda thought there might be more to it than

just
trenching a thick extension cord (or other high grade electrical cord) to

GFCI recepticle so I am glad I asked. I never thought about the heat
generated from plastic wrapped around the cords (especially since they

would
be buried underground). Good point.

What type of fee could I expect to be charged? Also, do the electricians
trench the electrical wire to the pond or is that something they would let
us do (or a landscaper if needed)?

Thanks again for all the help. I hope everything turns out.

-Little Scooby

"Nedra" wrote in message
link.net...
There is a much better way.... call an electrician! I can
see you are a quick fixer ;-) ... not good to hook up your pond
with nothing but extension cords. And Please
don't wrap the cords with plastic. It holds in heat and could
easily cause a fire. If you must use extenesion cords buy
some dielectric grease from an auto parts store. Smear that
all over the ends. It is water proof.

I would like to see you post that you've thought about it ..
and your going to hire an electrician.

Nedra

.. .

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
K30a

L.Scooby wrote What type of fee could I expect to be charged ? (running
electricity out to the pond).

We dug the trench ourselves with the help of a college linebacker...
Everything came out to be about $400,
that's here in the Pacific NorthWest.

k30a
Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Little Sccoby

$400 just for the electrical help? That seems rather high. I only have to
trench about 20 to 30 feet. I watched a neighbor trench his cable line in
about an hour and it didn't seem that involved. Did you have a lot of other
electrical done at the same time or something?

Old 17-07-2003, 06:01 AM
*muffin*

luckily my hubby is hand on these sort of things

call & 'ask' an electrician how much you can do.

we ran wire underground through plastic conduit ( probably 12/2 can'
remember).
one end was attached to an outdoor receptacle for the pump plugs.
other end was put into the main circuit breaker inside house ours was
conveniently JUSt inside the house wall adjacent to pond.

'if' he will let you run the wire to house 2 points that would save you &
him a lot of work.

good luck.