Old 21-07-2003, 02:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Holy New Super Pond from Heaven Questions.

I have both systems. One on the pump built-in is probably best for you, so
you don't have the large bobber in the water.... though as an artist you
could probably disguise it to look like a boat or glue some fake silk
aquarium plants to it. One on the pump will let your water go lower, the
bobber can be set so it turns off at a point you prefer. Either way, both
work. I got my mercury float switch from www.aquaticeco.com ~ jan

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:07:54 -0500, "Little Sccoby" wrote:

Speaking of shut-off devices based on water levels, do the pumps that have
shutoff capabilities work very well? Or is it always better to use a
separate shut-off device and not rely on the pumps with built in shut-off
capabilities (especially when running multiple pumps in an array)? I guess
what I mean is this: By the time the low water level activates the shut-off
mechanism on the pump, is the pump already slightly (even very slightly)
damaged in any way or is it just a normal proven method for shutting off a
pump that has no side-effects whatsoever (or shorten lifespan of pump in any
way)? (I keep hearing horror stories of people who let their pumps run dry).

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a