Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 AM

Default bubble eye goldfish

Hi Everyone,
I don't know if we just got lucky but last fall a friend gave me a few
goldfish and two bubble eyes. I put them in my pond with my koi,
goldfish and shubunkins. We had an extremely cold winter here on Long
Island, New York. Fortunately both bubble eyes survived the winter. In
mid spring I had to move them to a smaller pond because one of them was
getting knocked around by the larger goldfish while spawning. Last week
my hubby saw two bubble eyed babies in the smaller pond ( 1200 gallons
). Both adults are doing fine.

Lucy

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Tom La Bron

Bonnie,

It is a common misconception that Bubble-eyes are in some way delicate.
Personally, I have never had a bubble deflate. In fact, I breeder I know
actually removes the bubbles from his Bubble-eyes to assist them in
breeding. What is interesting is that he has found the best utensils
remove them is a surgical knife or new razor blades. They are a lot tougher
than most expect. Although if you have six fish in a breeding frenzy, there
is a chance that they will get damaged, which is the reason he removes them.
His breeders are usually about 6 to 8 inches and the bubbles are anywhere
from 3 to 4 inches in diameter.

HTH

Tom L.L.
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Tom La Bron wrote:
Muffin,

A friend in California breeds and keeps his bubble-eyed goldfish in

ponds
year 'round. I have bubble-eyes in my pond. The only thing that you

have
to remember is that usually stay mid to bottom in the pond and there

should
be no sharp edges in the swim area. They get a long fine.

HTH

Tom L.L.

"*muffin*" wrote in message

do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for something

else,

besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

Muffin,

I gave incorrect advice and I apologize. I just got done
reading several magazine articles on bubbles eyes in ponds.
Apparently they are an interesting pond pet.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 11-07-2008 11:54 PM
goldfish eye problem Gary John Ponds 3 14-11-2005 03:51 AM
[IBC] Art is DEFINITELY in the eye of the beholder! Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 11-06-2003 09:44 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds (alternative) 1 12-04-2003 01:20 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds 2 06-04-2003 11:56 AM