Old 09-07-2003, 11:56 AM
*muffin*

Default bubble eye goldfish

do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for something else,
besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

Old 09-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

*muffin* wrote:
do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for something else,
besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

The eyes are very delicate. If they are damaged the fish
will be blind. They are no suggested as good pond fish.
Shubunkin are goldfish and do come in colors very similar
to koi. A very good substitute for smaller ponds.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 09-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

Wow . . . the only bubble eyes I've seen were kept in aquariums with NOTHING
in them except a thin layer of gravel. The bubbles are extremely delicate,
so anything that could harm the tissue is removed. They would be totally
unsuitable for a pond.

Comets and shubunkins are "gold fish" that aren't gold: they can grow to
respectable 8-10". Comets are red and white, kinda like kohaku koi. The only
shubunkins I've seen are blue, usually with speckles and long flowing
tails - like butterfly koi. Not being a goldfish person, my descriptions are
probably limited. But you can have the gold fish without having the "gold"!

Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Lee Brouillet wrote:
Wow . . . the only bubble eyes I've seen were kept in aquariums with NOTHING
in them except a thin layer of gravel. The bubbles are extremely delicate,
so anything that could harm the tissue is removed. They would be totally
unsuitable for a pond.

Comets and shubunkins are "gold fish" that aren't gold: they can grow to
respectable 8-10". Comets are red and white, kinda like kohaku koi. The only
shubunkins I've seen are blue, usually with speckles and long flowing
tails - like butterfly koi. Not being a goldfish person, my descriptions are
probably limited. But you can have the gold fish without having the "gold"!

Lee

Sorry Lee, the red and whites are sarassa, comets are
goldfish with long fins and tail. Shubunkin can be red,
white and black or blue, black and red or even blue and
yellow and white. The LFS is selling 7-8" comets with
white finsa and tails as veiltails and charging $35.

Bonnie

Old 09-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Lee Brouillet

Well, I *said* I wasn't a goldfish person G! I've seen some beautiful fish
at the store and other folks' ponds, but I stick strictly to koi, so I don't
know that much about "goldfish". . . other than that they come in colors
other than gold (or white, or black . . .)! But I had the descriptions
pretty well ALL mixed up, didn't I?

Lee

Old 10-07-2003, 12:29 AM
NJ

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message

Sorry Lee, the red and whites are sarassa, comets are
goldfish with long fins and tail. Shubunkin can be red,
white and black or blue, black and red or even blue and
yellow and white. The LFS is selling 7-8" comets with
white finsa and tails as veiltails and charging $35.

Bonnie

Wow, this is news to me. I bought my fish labelled as Comets. They are
obviously sarassas; their coloration is in varying patterns of the
red-orange and white, and I only paid about 3.50 for each.

NJ

Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM
John Rutz

NJ wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message

Sorry Lee, the red and whites are sarassa, comets are
goldfish with long fins and tail. Shubunkin can be red,
white and black or blue, black and red or even blue and
yellow and white. The LFS is selling 7-8" comets with
white finsa and tails as veiltails and charging $35.

Bonnie

Wow, this is news to me. I bought my fish labelled as Comets. They are
obviously sarassas; their coloration is in varying patterns of the
red-orange and white, and I only paid about 3.50 for each.

NJ

and I bought some red/white bristol comets at my lfs when I first
started this pond Hmmmmmmmmm
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 AM

they really arent pond fish.... OTOH, there are Tosakins for shallow (but
protected!!) ponds. they are not mixed with single tailed big comets or koi. the
eye bubbles are not that delicate and if broken they usually re inflate. LOL... GF
do come in most of the same colors as koi... and some are violet and quite blue. But
they are not really pond fish unless this is a very pampered, heated pond. Ingrid

"*muffin*" wrote:

do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for something else,
besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
Tom La Bron

Muffin,

A friend in California breeds and keeps his bubble-eyed goldfish in ponds
year 'round. I have bubble-eyes in my pond. The only thing that you have
to remember is that usually stay mid to bottom in the pond and there should
be no sharp edges in the swim area. They get a long fine.

HTH

Tom L.L.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

"*muffin*" wrote in message

do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for something

else,

besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

Muffin,

I gave incorrect advice and I apologize. I just got done
reading several magazine articles on bubbles eyes in ponds.
Apparently they are an interesting pond pet.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Bonnie, can you forward the links to me? I called a few folks, too, before I
said they were unsuited. So there are several of us that need our info
up-dated. The biggest LFS here said they were strictly aquarium fish, too
delicate for a pond.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Nedra

Lee and Bonnie,

There is a good article in July's issue of Water Gardening
on Bubble Eyes.

Nedra

Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Gotta subscribe!

Lee

rthlink.net...

"*muffin*" wrote in message

do any of you have these in your pond? ( we are looking for

something

else,

besides the plain GOLD fish..)

how delicate are the eye bubbles?
what happens if they break?

Muffin wishes goldfish came in the same colors as koi

Muffin,

I gave incorrect advice and I apologize. I just got done
reading several magazine articles on bubbles eyes in ponds.
Apparently they are an interesting pond pet.

--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

Quick Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull Pea Seeds Dennis Parker Edible Gardening 2 11-07-2008 11:54 PM
goldfish eye problem Gary John Ponds 3 14-11-2005 03:51 AM
[IBC] Art is DEFINITELY in the eye of the beholder! Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 11-06-2003 09:44 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds (alternative) 1 12-04-2003 01:20 PM
Pop Eye Terry Ponds 2 06-04-2003 11:56 AM