Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
claude rogers

Default what container to use for lotus

I got 2 lotus today, end of the season sale or something, for $10, really
didn't need'em but just couldn't pass'em up, after seeing Nedra's lotus.
Question is what kind of containers do you put these in. I know it's
suppose to be big, but what exactly do you guys use.....Thanks Claude

Old 11-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Nedra

Hi Claude, I use the big round pots that are about 23 inches
wide and have no holes... and are about 6 or 7 inches deep.
Put about 5 or 6 or so aquatic fertilizer tabs on the bottom
then put in about 5 inches of dirt.You don't need lots
of dirt in the pot. Lay the tuber on the
dirt and hold it down with a flat rock. Just be sure your
careful with the growing tip. Fill with several inches of
warmish water.... set them in the sun until they look like
they are going to root. Set them in the pond about 4 inches
under the surface of the water.

Good Luck.

Nedra

Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Watch how large of a container you put in the pond, unless you can hire
someone to get it out of the pond. My first lotus' container was huge.
Dang near killed me when I needed to lift it out.

You can also get a very large ROUND container from your local cheap store
that's original design was to cool beer & soda. I got one at my local
Target store for $6.99, 24 gallon container. This container is buried near
the pond. Use the soil that you remove to dig the hole to fill into the
container.

--
Wendy* in N. California,

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be
happy, practice compassion." Dalai Lama

rthlink.net...

Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Hal

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:13:55 -0700, "Wendy Kelly Budd"
wrote:

This container is buried near
the pond. Use the soil that you remove to dig the hole to fill into the
container.

Good idea! I tried several above ground and the sun heated them past
temperatures where goldfish could live in them. I have a plastic
half barrel that wants a lily or lotus, as soon as my wife tells me
where to dig the hole.

Regards,

Hal

Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Jerrispond

I got 2 lotus today,Question is what kind of containers do you put these in.

What kind of lotus? Jerri

Old 12-07-2003, 05:08 AM
claude rogers

I got 2 lotus today,Question is what kind of containers do you put these

in.

What kind of lotus? Jerri

The first one is a rose lotus, nelumbo necifera 'rosea'
and I don't have a clue on the second one, he had repotted it for the

little display pond in the store, and it didn't have a tag.
I saw some pots today that were 8" deep, 10" wide, 24" long, started to

buy those but decided to check your replies before doing so. Might as well
do it right the first time.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Jerrispond

nelumbo necifera 'rosea'

8" deep, 10" wide, 24" long,

rosea is a medium to large lotus....are the leaves on the second one the same
size? I am sure you can get lotus pots where you bought the lotus...or he
can order them for you. A lotus pot is round, and that is very important,
because the tubers wrap around in the pot....they get stuck in corners. A
lotus pot should be not so tall as it is round they are generally about 18 to
24 inches across and a foot deep. I have a couple of them that are 3 feet
across. What were they planted in when you bought them, and are you sure
they need to be divided.....You should never divide a lotus while it has green
leaves on it. You can kill it if it is not dormant Jerri

Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 PM
claude rogers

rosea is a medium to large lotus....are the leaves on the second one the

same
size?

Yes, they look identical

I am sure you can get lotus pots where you bought the lotus...or he
can order them for you. A lotus pot is round, and that is very important,
because the tubers wrap around in the pot....they get stuck in corners.

Had no idea, I thought they ran straight across

lotus pot should be not so tall as it is round they are generally about 18

24 inches across and a foot deep. I have a couple of them that are 3 feet
across.

Wow!! a 3 foot pot, that's hard to imagine.

What were they planted in when you bought them, and are you sure
they need to be divided.....You should never divide a lotus while it has

green
leaves on it. You can kill it if it is not dormant Jerri

They don't need to be divided at all, they are in 2 seperate pots, and

neither is
overgrown yet, but one is in a 1 gallon new type plant container about 6

inches
across, and the other one is in a 2 gallon plastic flower pot about 10

inches across. Just wanted
to move them into something bigger, not even going to disturb the dirt

that they are in.
Thought I would just slide them out and put into bigger pots with more

clayish soil and
Pea gravel over the top, not over the growing point though. Pop in a

couple over fertilizer
tabs and give them a little room to grow.

Thanks Jerry, you are a wealth of information, and I appreciate very

much....Claude

and thanks to everyone else who has responded.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:08 PM
pondscum

You may be able to find a large plasic colander at a 99 cent store. Very
cheap alternative to premium prices.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Jerrispond

You may be able to find a large plasic colander at a 99 cent store. Very
cheap alternative to premium prices.

ROFL a lotus won't go into a colander ....even a small lotus....the first wind
would topple it. I have used dish pans from the dollar store for lilies and
other water plants, but not lotus.......Jerri

Old 14-07-2003, 03:03 PM
BenignVanilla

"pondscum" wrote in message
You may be able to find a large plasic colander at a 99 cent store. Very
cheap alternative to premium prices.

"claude rogers" wrote in message
I got 2 lotus today, end of the season sale or something, for $10,

really
didn't need'em but just couldn't pass'em up, after seeing Nedra's lotus.
Question is what kind of containers do you put these in. I know it's
suppose to be big, but what exactly do you guys use.....Thanks Claude

I have been told to use round containers, because the tubors will follow the
curved walls and grow. I have also been told that rectangular containers
will stop the tubors from spreading, as they will hit the corners and stop.
I am starting to think, a bunch of long rectangular containers are the way
to go. It sounds like you would have a lot of control, and the roots would
not be so tangled. Any thoughts?

BV.

Old 15-07-2003, 10:18 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have been told to use round containers, because the tubors will follow the
curved walls and grow. I have also been told that rectangular containers
will stop the tubors from spreading, as they will hit the corners and stop.

Yeah, but, than they died.

I am starting to think, a bunch of long rectangular containers are the way
to go. It sounds like you would have a lot of control, and the roots would
not be so tangled. Any thoughts?

So I don't think this would work. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/