Old 13-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default Things to be aware of when transplanting Koi?

I want to move my koi to another pond, what should I do to make sure
they survive ok? One of them died a couple days ago when I moved them so
I want to be sure this time.

Thanks
Mike

Old 13-07-2003, 02:56 AM
RichToyBox

Are the two ponds in the same yard? If so, try to get the pH as close as
possible. You can use baking soda to raise low pH. If the temperature is
different, bag the fish and allow to temperature stabilize in the new pond.
If the temperature is within a couple of degrees, just move them as quickly
as possible. If the ponds are at distant locations, requiring a ride in the
car, the pH of the bag water will fall, which is good, making the ammonia
less toxic. Stabilize temperature for 30 minutes, do not open bag until
temperature is stable, and then transfer fish, but not the water. As soon
as the bag is opened, some of the CO2 that is keeping the pH down will gas
off, and the ammonia will become more toxic.
--
RichToyBox

Old 13-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

RTB,
I for one am glad you are around and that you are willing to share your
helpful and deep knowledge with us. Thank you so very much! You are
treasured.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 13-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

PH, Temperature differentials, handling methods (Be Gentle you don't
want to scrape off any more fish slime than necessary can lead to skin
infections on the fish), water hardness, salinity (Be surprising how
much salt can be in tap water in coastal areas), chlorine, let the
water age a bit before introducing new fish in the case of refilled or
new ponds..

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:38:58 GMT, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

I want to move my koi to another pond, what should I do to make sure
they survive ok? One of them died a couple days ago when I moved them so
I want to be sure this time.

Thanks
Mike

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern

Old 15-07-2003, 05:03 PM

I was really wondering about that cause I heard California has pretty high salt
levels in the water. Is this a coastal thing wherever tap water is taken from
aquifers (as opposed to NY which brings water from fresh water reservoirs).
Anybody have any links that show the salinity of tap water in various coastal vs
inland cities? thanks. Ingrid

Dave Fouchey wrote:
(Be surprising how much salt can be in tap water in coastal areas)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Be aware. Jon[_7_] Australia 40 20-09-2008 01:26 PM
Re Be aware. Jon[_7_] Australia 0 18-09-2008 09:37 AM
Is anyone aware of an energy efficient submersible pump. Mickey Ponds 5 31-05-2004 03:03 PM
OT Ingrid ad-aware 6 is available Hal Ponds 6 24-02-2004 05:03 PM