Old 19-07-2003, 01:14 AM
Dan

Default Adding a Skimmer

What is best way to add skimmer to an established pond? Either diy or store
bought. Plans? Websites? Thanks, Dan.

Old 19-07-2003, 03:13 AM
RichToyBox

The easiest is the surface skimmer AES part number S750B. It is installed
in the middle of the pond with no holes to cut in the liner. I have
installed two Pondsweep skimmers in working ponds. It is very difficult to
hold the liner up, dig the hole, install the skimmer box, and then attach
the dirty liner with the silicone sealant. For one of the ponds, I cut a
piece of plywood slightly larger than the skimmer and slid it down behind
the liner before digging. This worked for holding the liner up, but it was
difficult to get the liner pulled back far enough to get the plywood
installed.. After the hole was dug, dropped in the skimmer, pulled the
plywood, sealed the liner to skimmer, cut liner, installed weir, and face
plate. That skimmer did not have the holes drilled for the screws,
manufacturing defect I think, and I had to drill the holes underwater. Used
an old hand drill and then treated the drill with WD40 to keep it from
rusting. It helps to lower the water level as much as possible.
--
RichToyBox

Old 19-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Sue Walsh

Rich,
That sounds like a major project to install the Pondsweep skimmer you
used as a after pond construction project. OTOH...I just had a Savio
skimmer installed outside my existing pond and it took maybe half hour
to 45 minutes, mostly to dig the hole. Much less trouble than what
you discribed, did drain the pond down to dig hole(outside liner) and
to install the face plate(so we didn't have to drill underwater).

Dan you may want to look into this one. It can be found on most pond
suppliers sites. Not sure of the cost difference as the Savio is
$300, but it also has a filter which handles up to 1000 gallons and
the capacity to house 1 or 2 as needed UV filters, so that's a plus.
Over 1000 gallons you'll need to add additional filtration and of
course the UV's would be additional cost if you added them down the
line. Also it is very easy to maintain, actually a 5 minute job or
less, according to if you need to spray off the filter or just dump
the basket. Just my 2 cents, which may not be worth much in todays
world...

Sue W

Old 19-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Sue Alexandre

I agree with Rich about it being a lot of work to install one in the side of
an existing pond, BUT, I think it was worth the work! (of course that's
easy to say when it's finally installed and working properly!)
Removing the rock border from that section is not fun, and then lowering the
water, pulling the liner forward enough to work in that area yet trying NOT
to disturb the rest of the rock border by pulling the liner out TOO much,
digging is never fun, and yes, working with tools and lining up the screw
holes, etc. while you're in water/under water is challenging. But the
biggest nightmare I found was getting the hole exactly the right depth and
getting it perfectly level. And of course once you've attached the liner to
the skimmer, it's pretty hard to make any adjustments at that point, so make
sure the hole is REALLY how you want it before you attach the liner. I
could have never pulled this one off without my husband's help, but it was
SO WORTH IT - I LOVE my skimmer!
Sue