Old 24-07-2003, 11:42 PM
K30a

Default does everyone here like frogs?

LN wrote Did you get them in the mail? Or do you live near by?

jj lives a couple of minutes from me, the subdivision next door. We set up a
egg laying 'device' a bobber attached to a nice soft string attached to a
weight. The ones indoors I raised from eggs. Lots of fun to watch and
interesting to all the teenagers who cruise through our house.

k30a
Old 25-07-2003, 03:22 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm new to this ng and thought you guys really
do mail EVERYTHING!

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

Old 25-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Tom,

They stay from May to October...talking. Green tree frogs. We even have
babies now in the hyacinths!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
om...
Jim,

Are your tree frogs hangers on. The ones that show up at my ponds are
there for about three weeks and then they disappear and we don't hear
them until next spring.

Those little suckers sure can be loud.

Tom L.L.
=======================

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in

message ...
Do you know what kind of frog your 'angry duck' is? Our green tree

frogs
could perhaps be so described.

We get used to them...sort of like getting used to the train tracks

behind a
house.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
news
I know several local ponders who hate them as much as I do. Our pond

is
just outside my daughter's bedroom window and the noise is enough to

keep
anyone awake at night. I often find her camped out on the floor of

her
brothers' room. What can be done to minimize the attraction of them.

Our
pond is not very naturalistic, as it is just a rectangular koi pond

with
an
urn fountain in the middle.
Ann

Old 27-07-2003, 01:22 AM
O3raledale

how long does it take a tadpole to become a frog? I purchased a few (3)
tadpoles at the pond store a couple of weeks ago and I'm patiently awaiting
their coming out.
-Pat
( a newbee)
Old 27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
K30a

Hi Pat,

Depends on the species of tadpole
and where you live.
Bullfrog tadpoles will turn into a frog
next summer. Sooner in the South, longer
in the North.
Same with most Greenfrog taddies.
And it all depends what stage you got them at,
newly hatched, left over from last year?
All others will turn by summer's end. But you have
to take in temperature of the water and the amount of food available.
Bullfrog and Greenfrog taddies can get very large.
Others stay smaller in comparison.

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/

Old 27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
dkat

Sang it to our children when they were little and ended it with
"perhaps she'll cry"
DK
"LeeAnne" wrote in message
Hey what happened to the line....
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
**(that wiggled, and jiggled and, tiggled inside her)**
and on and on....

LeeAnne
"Snooze" wrote in message
thlink.net...
"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Get snakes, they love them.

Get snakes to get rid of the frogs? Reminds me of this old lady, perhaps

you
guys have heard of her?

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I'm not sure how she swallowed a cow.
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat,
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly.
Perhaps she'll die!

Old 29-07-2003, 04:12 AM
O3raledale

K30a,
Thanks for the info.
-Pat

Old 29-07-2003, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Here's your answer Ann, have her ride around in teenagers cars with AMPS,
she soon be deaf enough not to hear the frogs. ~ jan

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:23:37 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

People who can't sleep because of noise are wimps

They should spend a year with my old dormmate from back in college. Heck if
you could sleep with the noise that went on in my floor, you could sleep
anywhere. I know this, because I recently feel asleep in the back seat of my
cousin's car. He's got one of those cars, where you can hear the music from
a few blocks down.

Sameer

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-07-2003, 08:12 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

LN in NH asked K30:
Did you get them in the mail? Or do you live near by?

I would love to have "musical" frogs, but mine don't make a peep. (this may
be a case of 'careful what you wish for')

"K30a" mentioned that:

Some of the Pacific Tree/Chorus Frog eggs that jj gave me

Handed delivered. After K30 took a 6 week writing course in care and
feeding, filled out a 10 page affidavit of guardianship. Removed all fish
from said bog, she was then allowed to collect said frogs eggs from my lily
pond.

I'm very picky about who takes my froggie eggs home, and I'm so lucky that
none of my neighbors mind the racket of their carrying-on.

I do believe though their croaking becomes more white noise-like the more
there are. Only problem is when they all shut up at once, now that can snap
your eyes wide open! Especially if the silence last longer than a few
moments. I've been known to get up with a flashlight to see what all the
silence is about. ~ jan )

Old 29-07-2003, 08:22 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I had one tree frog still croaking up until 10 days ago. Now all is silent
out there. ( Course when I work in the yard I find little frogs now and
then and that is always cool. Needless to say, other than dang earwigs, I
don't see many bugs in my yard. I wonder if they don't like earwigs? Or
their pinchers are not to be toyed with as an appetizer? ~ jan

Old 29-07-2003, 06:12 PM
K30a

We have a jar of jj's taddies on the kitchen table (you have a certain outlook
on things to live in our house...) All of a sudden DD let out a yell, "Stop
that! You just stop!!"
One of the bigger taddies had taken ahold of a snail and shook it right out of
its shell.
Like, ewww!
Today I'm feeding them some jellied shrimp, somebody obviously would like a
little protein.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Anne Lurie

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote [about frog noise]

[major snippage]

Only problem is when they all shut up at once, now that can snap
your eyes wide open!

Jan, decades ago I read a short story about (I think) some would-be robbers
in Mexico. They thought they had snuck in successfully because they did not
hear any dogs barking -- only to find out that it was the *silence* that
had given them away to the town, because the local dogs normally barked all
night!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC