Old 23-07-2003, 01:22 PM
claude rogers

Default Ouch !!!! Lotus has thorns

O.K. thanks to everyone who told me when, where, how deep, what container,
basically everything one needs to know about putting lotus in my pond, now,
how come no one told me not to touch the stems on those vertical stems, they
are covered in little thorns, Ouch!!! learn something new every
day....Claude

Old 24-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

....thorns....??
--
Wendy* in N. California,
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity

Old 24-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Jerrispond

know about putting lotus in my pond,
now, how come no one told me not to touch the stems on those vertical stems,
they are covered in little thorns, Ouch!!!

ROFL sounds like the story of the princess and the pea.....you must have very
delicate hands............Jerri

Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Lee Brouillet

The only lily I know of that has "thorns" is the Victoria, the ones that are
HUGE and whose leaves have a "lip" on them. When I say "huge", I *mean*
huge: there are photos of Victorian era ladies standing on the lily pads.

Is that what you have? O'wise, I don't know of any lilies that have thorns.
I'm not saying that I know of every lily OUT there, it's just that the
Victoria is the only "thorned" one I know of. They come from the Amazon
basin . . .

Lee

Old 24-07-2003, 09:32 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Oh, I wish I could see that!

--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

Old 24-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Nedra

Okay ... I think there is a picture of a lady standing on a
leaf somewhere on this url.
You'll have a marvellous time doing the tour type of thing ;-)

http://www.victoria-adventure.org

Nedra

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
Oh, I wish I could see that!

Old 25-07-2003, 03:02 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

So cool. That link only gave me a drawing of kids standing on the lily pads,
so my family didn't believe me. So, I did a search and found this:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jhoneycutt/vic.htm.

I would love to see these in person. One leaf is larger than my pond. LOL
--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

thlink.net...

Old 25-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Nedra

Lori, I'm close enough to St. Louis that I can go to
the Missouri Botanical Garden and the Jewel Box often.
They have ponds of them in those two gardens.
I know... I'm very lucky.

Nedra

"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
So cool. That link only gave me a drawing of kids standing on the lily

pads,
so my family didn't believe me. So, I did a search and found this:
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jhoneycutt/vic.htm.

I would love to see these in person. One leaf is larger than my pond. LOL
--
LN in NH (new gardener in zone 5)
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

thlink.net...

Old 25-07-2003, 06:12 AM
claude rogers

no guys, I said lotus not lily, has thorns on the vertical stems, and yes I
do have tender hands and feet too. Refuse to grow roses for that very
reason, just hate getting punctured. Although that big one in the picture
is very cool, but really, I didn't have any idea that lotus had little
thorns on the stems.

Old 25-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Nedra

Opss.. Sorry, I had forgotten the main reason for this thread.
Okay, the aerial leaves do have a rather rough texture to the
leaves - especially when you run your fingers Up from
the bottom of the leaf. I don't know which species this one is
but I suspect it is Chawan Basu. (I went out in the first light and cut a
leaf.) Someone with tender hands and feet would notice these little
'thorms' and possibly get cut. If you can tell us the kind of lotus
it is we can better tell you if this is the case.

Nedra

Old 26-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Hank Pagel

Somehow I question the authenticity of that photo. How did he get on
it without filling it with water?? The weight of his feet would have
to flex the leaf somewhat.(Well over 150 lbs.)
On the other hand the size and shape of the leaf would allow it
to displace his weight, just not in the manner pictured. IMO I
strongly feel this photo is altered.
One leaf would cover my little puddle ;-) Hmmmmm ...... maybe
that would keep the raccoons out.
Too cold in Jersey ........ I loose again.
Sorry if this double posted.

Old 26-07-2003, 06:34 PM
*muffin*

"Hank Pagel" wrote in message
Somehow I question the authenticity of that photo. How did he get on
it without filling it with water?? The weight of his feet would have
to flex the leaf somewhat.(Well over 150 lbs.)

they do not fill with water. they have 'slits' on 2 sides so when it rains
it does not fill.

On the other hand the size and shape of the leaf would allow it
to displace his weight, just not in the manner pictured. IMO I
strongly feel this photo is altered.

usually , when they take pics,, the person is standing on a board to evenly
distribute the weight. but they do hold a LOT of weight.

One leaf would cover my little puddle ;-) Hmmmmm ...... maybe
that would keep the raccoons out.
Too cold in Jersey

my victoria is only about 2 1/2 ft. leaves, right now,, but when they get
bigger, I am not planning on crawling ON them,,, talk about RAZOR sharp
barbs...........yike.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:33 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I have since found another picture of someone on a lily. I know her from
another ng I'm on. She is sitting on a board.
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/tfplab/lilyp.gif

Old 02-08-2003, 05:02 AM
The Madd Hatter

Looks real to me... Unlikely, but real... If you view it closely, you
can see the shadows behind him are on the plant and the background...
Also, Look at his reflection right in front of him... On the plant and
then in the water right in front... He'd have to be some genius w/
photoshop to manage that

Old 08-08-2003, 12:46 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I think this started out as Lotus with thorns and someone said you must be
the Victoria lily, BUT, in comparison to the smooth stem of a regular lily,
lotus do have.... well, stickers, at the very least, on their stems. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Ouch that hurt, Bee stings Ben Gardening 4 15-10-2005 11:47 PM
Help I Lost ("OUCH!" ~Fred Hall) Birthday suit Larry Ponds 0 01-04-2005 11:00 PM
Sandburs... Ouch ! Bobbo Texas 7 18-02-2004 04:05 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM