Old 24-07-2003, 02:02 AM
LYNN FORRES

Default koi and plants?

new to koi - 5 nice sized koi in 700 gallon cement pond - the local experts
tell us that you never put plants in with koi because they tear them up and
make a mess. Seems like they would like a little shelter with plants.
Please share your experience with us. TIA L.

Old 24-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Depends on the plants and, to some extent, the koi. They do dig and root
and will munch lots of roots. Sufficient Quantities of plants work as do
certain plants.

Our koi devour anacharis and munch on hyacinth roots.
Enough hyacinth and they don't destroy them.
Parrots feather seems to do fine...not eaten.
Lillies get pushed around but not eaten.
Frogbit is sometimes eaten.
Duckweed is a treat!
Rock less that 1.5 inches are 'moved'. Bigger aren't.
Dirt is a play toy.

What are you thinking of putting in?

Phyllis
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley
. ..

Old 24-07-2003, 04:03 AM
johnrutz

LYNN FORRES wrote:
new to koi - 5 nice sized koi in 700 gallon cement pond - the local experts
tell us that you never put plants in with koi because they tear them up and
make a mess. Seems like they would like a little shelter with plants.
Please share your experience with us. TIA L.

yu are going to get a lot of different responses on this some of us cant
keep plants and koi together others can

I keep plants(lily) and koi together but i also let a lot of string
algae stay in the pond too, so the Koi spend their salad time eating
the algae.
up till a few weeks ago I had over a hundred Koi in an 8000 gal pond.
last summer they were able to get into the veggie filter too and didnt
decimate things most all my plants are just plunked into the VF only
the small new ones are in pots w rocks
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 24-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Jerrispond

new to koi - 5 nice sized koi in 700 gallon cement pond - the local experts
tell us that you never put plants in with koi because they tear them up and
make a mess. Seems like they would like a little shelter with plants.
Please share your experience with us. TIA L.

Too bad the local " experts" didn't tell you a 700 gallon pond is too small for
koi. I'll bet they were the ones selling the koi right.? My koi ponds have
all kinds of different plants except lilies....they do play with them. For 5
koi you should have a 1400 gallon pond at the very smallest.....sorry Jerri

Old 24-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Chad

I have 2 in ground ponds and a deck container pond. The small pond
and deck container have a lilly, some small version of waterlettuce,
WH, hornwort, anacharis and duckweed in them. They also each have 2
koi that are under 3" in addition to tons of mosquito fish. The fish
leave the plants alone... I have achieved 95%+ plant coverage on both
ponds... but, if I put my fingers in the water the fish come up to try
a taste them.

On the other hand, my large"er" pond (1350 gallons this week since we
finally had a cold week that in the mid 80's and evaporation is not so
bad) I have 5 koi, 3 GF (would love to give the away now) and 2
comets. I have the same plants plus parrots feather and a bunch of
marginals that the fish cannot reach. The veggi-filter is fine, but
if any WH or duckweed make it to open water then they are doomed. The
fish is the large pond are under 16" and they do root around in the 4
lillies. I just make sure to keep peagravel on top of the soil and I
haven't had any troubles. The hornwort and anacharis get bound up in
the lillies and the fish love to hang out in it.

Old 30-07-2003, 07:42 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:56:40 GMT, "LYNN FORRES" wrote:

new to koi - 5 nice sized koi in 700 gallon cement pond - the local experts
tell us that you never put plants in with koi because they tear them up and
make a mess. Seems like they would like a little shelter with plants.
Please share your experience with us. TIA L.

In your case they're probably right.

To do plants and koi, ideally plant heavily and purchase small butterfly
koi.

Went to Petsmart today and was SHOCKED! They had 4-5 inch koi for the steep
price of $29.99. The folks who purchased my 18-20" butterfly koi for
$35/each got a steal. But they're in a very good home... I'll see it next
week. Maybe I'll mention, you know that $35 you paid me? It was just the
down payment. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 30-07-2003, 03:43 PM
REBEL JOE

First off I think you have to many koi in your pond might cause some
problems. I have plants the koi nibble them but they still do ok. So no
big trouble here.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND